• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
John Lasseter to Leave Disney at the End of the Year

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Disney is throwing him under the bus which is what a lot of people expected considering they are one of the most politically correct studios in Hollywood. They fired him as an employee which they are proudly boasting about to the mainstream media while keeping him as a consultant until the end of the year in a desperate attempt to find someone with half his talent. Well it will be interesting to see the feminists celebrating on Twitter tonight.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Disney is throwing him under the bus which is what a lot of people expected considering they are one of the most politically correct studios in Hollywood. They fired him as an employee which they are proudly boasting about to the mainstream media while keeping him as a consultant until the end of the year in a desperate attempt to find someone with half his talent. Well it will be interesting to see the feminists celebrating on Twitter tonight.

Having your name on a bunch of movies does not justify feeling up women and kissing them against their will. We as a society are so accustomed to glorifying people in Hollywood that we feel they deserve a pass to behave however they want. What he did was inexcusable.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't really unexpected after what happened. Since he over saw a lot of Pixar's and Disney's productions, I wonder if they will do better or worse. Disney was tanking hard until they brought back Pixar, so makes me wonder who they'll have fill in the creative void? Brad Bird did good some great stuff so I wonder if they will have him take the place? Though some of his recent works were at bit questionable (Tomorrowland).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
But then who will stand next to Hayao Miyazaki and make him look really uncomfortable?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Either this one or Morgan Freeman hurt me the most. Good to see has to step down though.
Xe4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Good. It's clear he was a genius director but he acted like a tyrant and what's worse made scores of women feel like shut by harnessing them. Him leaving is for the better. Pixar is a company made by hundreds of hard working devoted people, and is far more than just one man.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Having your name on a bunch of movies does not justify feeling up women and kissing them against their will. We as a society are so accustomed to glorifying people in Hollywood that we feel they deserve a pass to behave however they want. What he did was inexcusable.
There was a bunch of other actors and directors in Hollywood that have been accused of worse but they are still making movies. The problem is that John Lasseter was a good fit for the feminist oppressor narrative, he worked for one of the most politically correct Hollywood studios, and he apologized which only confirmed his guilt. I have no doubt that Hollywood is filled with depraved hedonistic sociopaths but it looks to me like John Lasseter was used as the equivalent of a sacrificial lamb.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Romuska wrote:
There was a bunch of other actors and directors in Hollywood that have been accused of worse but they are still making movies. The problem is that John Lasseter was a good fit for the feminist oppressor narrative, he worked for one of the most politically correct Hollywood studios, and he apologized which only confirmed his guilt. I have no doubt that Hollywood is filled with depraved hedonistic sociopaths but it looks to me like John Lasseter was used as the equivalent of a sacrificial lamb.

"Hollywood" isn't some damn singular being. Your logic makes absolutely no sense! Other people are "getting away with it" and therefore it's bad when Disney actually cleans up their own backyard?
What kind of circular nonsense logic is that? And you're swinging around "politically correct" as some kind of insult in defense of a guy who repeatedly molested and harassed female employees.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
"Hollywood" isn't some damn singular being.
True, but of all the allegations I have seen against actors and directors in Hollywood the ones made against John Lasseter were some of the tamest. That doesn't mean he didn't deserve to get fired but the virtue signalling from Disney is a bit much.

BrainBlow wrote:
And you're swinging around "politically correct" as some kind of insult in defense of a guy who repeatedly molested and harassed female employees.
Well for men in the 21st century it is true that hugging people at work is a bad idea and that kissing people at work is sexual harassment. I get why some people are celebrating this news but at the same time one of the most creative men in western animation just got fired.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

BrainBlow wrote:
And you're swinging around "politically correct" as some kind of insult in defense of a guy who repeatedly molested and harassed female employees.
Well for men in the 21st century it is true that hugging people at work is a bad idea and that kissing people at work is sexual harassment. I get why some people are celebrating this news but at the same time one of the most creative men in western animation just got fired.

Dude, you're making it sound like he was just being affectionate with some people at work instead of actively making people uncomfortable or violating personal boundaries. He'd put his hand on women's legs if they were wearing skirts and try to wander upward. It happened again and again. It sucks to lose a creative, but it is what it is.

It's not "virtue signalling" to fire him over behaviors that clearly qualify as harassment or assault. It doesn't matter if there are worse people out there. There are also better people out there who can do his job and maintain a healthy workplace.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Either this one or Morgan Freeman hurt me the most. Good to see has to step down though.

Thanks making me feel worse for the Morgan Freeman news.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Is there some pressing reason why he's not fired now instead of being given a year to still have a "consulting role" (whatever that means)?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Is there some pressing reason why he's not fired now instead of being given a year to still have a "consulting role" (whatever that means)?

Unlike Walt Disney, John will still be alive to appoint his successor and outline future company strategy after losing his head position--
Hopefully, he'll pick someone better than Walt did with Ron Miller.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

You're defending a proven molester because you like his cartoons. Heaven forbid you or someone you love winds up working for someone like him. This is not a matter of feminism. He put his hands on his employees. Male or female makes absolutely no difference here. There is no justifying his actions. He deserves to be fired just like anyone else that would commit this acts.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought he was already gone. Shocked

Chrono1000 wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

The man was behaving totally inappropriately, kissing women on the lips without permission and putting his hands on female staff; Women were warned not to be alone with him in meetings or to keep their heads up if they were: It's disgusting that he lasted this long.

My mother ran a salon for years; The nature of the industry is to be intimate and friendly but there must always be professionalism: She had to reprimand people (yes, male and female) for everything from constantly getting way too close, even after they were asked to stop, to outright hitting on clients. 3 strikes (for any offence, sexual or not) and you were gone; Downstairs groping (Thank God there was never a pervert of that level) would have been an automatic dismissal. I've hugged male staff without issue; It was platonic and friendly and wanted on both sides. Friendliness amongst employees in companies, and even with clients in certain industries, has existed for decades and is not automatically sexual; It's not " cause of dem 21st century new-fangled rules" that people get fired for misconduct.

I do abhor railroading an employee (especially one in the public eye) BEFORE any investigation but Lasseter's behavior was well-known; Again, women were warned about him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3