• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in To Be Heroine?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And that's how the other world is born. It's an escape from her reality, but only the surface elements have changed. I think this is where TBH sets itself apart from most isekai anime. Instead of offering her a power fantasy where she is The Best, this new world only puts her in a different position so she can confront her demons in a different form.

This is pretty common among the better class of escapist fiction, isn't it? Begin with an internal struggle, then a fantastical catalyst comes along to externalize it into a more exciting conflict that drives character growth? Everything from The Phantom Tollbooth to Die Hard to FLCL Classic to (IIRC) American children's cartoons like Jumanji and Dragon Tales. (Even Re:Zero tries for it, although its debatable how well episode 18 works -- I recall that Jake was rather disappointed with how it handled the themes it was aiming for.)

It's a powerful mechanic when handled properly; I hope to be able to use it well in my own fiction.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Figured they would get around to this show here eventually.

I didn’t really care for the first episode of To Be Hero, so I was going to pass on this one as well (though I heard good things about the first season’s animation). But after I saw three of this column’s contributors’ reactions to the show on Twitter, I decided to try it out, and I wasn’t disappointed or off-put by the humor like the first season. The animation is very nice as I had heard (and seen), and the story is pretty decent. I’d say it was one of the best donghua that I’ve seen.

It’s unfortunate that some of the material had gotten cut in the Japanese broadcast version (which was the version that was streamed internationally). I understand they needed to cut it to fit into a TV broadcast, but that raises the question of why they needed to broadcast it on TV, instead of online like the original Chinese version. If that was inevitable on the Japanese localizers’ part, I would have liked the Chinese version (subtitled) instead, but I can live with the Japanese version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1