• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Watch With Your Dad [2018-06-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna follow up after Yuna and say as a dad who just turned 50, I had a completely different read of this article. Although I'd definitely include Tiger & Bunny. So many anime out there are about highschoolers with missing parents. Just about anything that includes the parents in the plot would be good.

Bunny Drop hit me right in the Dad Feelings, although I'm really happy they didn't continue to the second half.

Wolf Children is very definitely a movie to watch with your parents.

I think any Dad that wouldn't enjoy Cowboy Bebop doesn't deserve to have children.

FMA and/or FMA:B has all kinds of adult fear - Nina, Maes Hughes, it goes on.

Spice and Wolf was very entertaining too. Death Parade. I mean there's just so much anime out there that dads would like that their kids might not think of. Perspective changes over time. You might be surprised.
Yunho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying every once in awhile to get my own dad to watch cowboy bebop since I was in high school. He watches almost anything vaguely related to space, even poorly translated b-list movies, yet refuses to watch any anime.
The closest I think he'll ever get is that he watched all of the animated resident evil movies.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
As a dad in his sixties, I'd like to suggest Bartender. Few anime cover the life issues of older adults like this one. Plus you can watch it all for free at YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBC27A43F92EC79F9

Hell, even non-drinkers like me can enjoy it, especially with that fantastic soundtrack.

I showed Moyashimon to my father once, telling him how it made microbiology interesting. And he loves ballroom dancing (he took lessons when he was young), so I've been thinking of showing him Ballroom e Youkoso. But he prefers shows with a lot of logic in them, so anything supernatural bores him.

I do call him baka oyaji when he starts goofing around, though. He knows I don't mean to insult him (as I use it to joke around too, calling him 'silly old man')
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Neither of my parents care much for animation, though my mom can at least sit through a Disney movie without falling asleep, lol. My dad rarely ever made it through an entire movie whenever they took my sister and I to see the latest one in theaters when we were kids.

It's funny how much I came to love animation in comparison. I'd rather watch a fully animated show or movie than a live action one with poor visual or special effects. Most of my favorite sci-fi or fantasy things growing up were either books, movies with high budgets, or animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely watch The Boy and the Beast with my father; I know he'd like it. We don't have a strained relationship or anything like what's shown in the flick, he just lives very far from me and he'd appreciate the father/son bonding. I miss him like crazy and I want to see him, but I can't take vast amounts of time off work to visit him. It's a difficult dilemma.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
My dad watched Deltora Quest and Escaflowne with me. He also watched the first season of Knights of Sidonia on his own on Netflix (I still haven't seen it).

And of course, there was that other time the first episodes of both Heaven's Lost Property and Girls Bravo appeared in his Netflix history - except they both were stopped about halfway through. Guess he was just curious? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Just want to point out that Jacuzzi Splot is listed twice in the poll.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
My dad was like willag's - I'm not sure I ever saw him make it all the way through any tv show of any kind without falling asleep. Movies were right out.

I'm curious as to why "Chi" and "Chichi" were on the list of weird names. Am I missing something or was someone just trolling?

"Dad-ime." You win, Lynzee. Very Happy
Emdykay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Actually watched Psycho-Pass with both my parents, Ghost in the Shell and Kara no Kyoukai with my dad too. Sadly the selection of stuff that would be appealing to him is limited as english is not an option and he does not want to read subtitles either.
Always trying to make him read Blame! because I know he would love it, told him about it once and you could literally see the gears working on him deciding if he would actually pick up one of those comic thingies.

Fun anecdote back in the day my mother would often watch the standard kids 90s kids anime with me and my sister and while Digimon actually got praise (behold!) she decided she can´t stand Sailor Moon on a whim, I asked her about it a few years back but she can´t even remember, and while she did not forbid us to watch it she was very vocal about her dislike so we didn´t and thus grew up only on Digimon, Dragonball etc. while skipping the Shoujo titles completly^^
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Does Pokemon really count as isekai? Sure, it's technically "another world", but Moana is "animation" and we don't call it anime.

jr240483 wrote:
also , just what in the hell is Theldesia!?

unless that is a brand new world for the future chapters of the light novels for log horizon, i have ZERO recollection of the anime series let alone the manga mentioning that place!!!!!!

You might've just missed it; it's the name for the planet Elder Tale (and therefore Log Horizon) is set on. Like Azeroth, or Nirn, or Toril, or Hydaelyn.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I got my nerdiness from my dad, and he still watches Toonami. My favorite momemnt was when he emailed me wondering why certain bits of Black Clover were really similar to Naruto, and I was nearly giddy replying back that he had basically decoded the Shonen Jump formula without knowing what Shonen Jump was.

Also, Tiger & Bunny is also good for Comic Book Fan Dad because I still think the 2nd movie might actually be the best X-Men film to date.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This list is only for Dads who are early-to-mid 30's and are already serious geeks.
-SP-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:30 am Reply with quote
Why would my dad want to watch Chinese cartoons?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Eyeshield is lots of fun, but if your dad (or anyone) is righteous about the rules of the game, it will drive them crazy. For example, this is probably the only football game you'll see where the quarterback sacks the opposing quarterback. Very Happy At one time, I would've said it was also unlikely you'd see the quarterback shooting off automatic weapons on the field, but these days, I can't say that with such confidence...
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm curious as to why "Chi" and "Chichi" were on the list of weird names. Am I missing something or was someone just trolling?

Chichi is a little weird because on the one hand it means "Father" in Japanese, but on the other hand it means "Breasts" in Japanese. Knowing Toriyama and his naming schemes, he was thinking of the latter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3