• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Survey: Tell us about your favorite anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skydrop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
too bad people these days want to watched too much "HD" version. Remakes are always hit-or-miss
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Many of these are far too contemporary for remakes.

Yeah that is something that also struck me a little odd. Some of them are only a couple of years old. Kind of weird to remake something so recent.

Then again, the original FMA was only 6 years old when Brotherhood was made, and I'd say that both versions are different enough that it's worth having both, so it all depends on specifically what the remake would be like I guess.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Much better photo! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Then again, the original FMA was only 6 years old when Brotherhood was made

This fact really emphasises how old we have grown. I am somewhat taken aback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Considering what Tempest said, I kinda suspect that a lot of the weird choices are red herrings to keep competitors from figuring out just which series they're really looking for feedback on. I mean, if they were serious about all of these, I don't think they would've mixed up the photos on a couple of them.

I'm a little curious about how they're going to "announce on a rolling basis" who the winners are. There was no disclaimer about giving out the winners' email addresses publicly, and now it specifically says they won't do that, so what - will they just say, "Ok, we had our first drawing today and someone won! Yay!"? I'm not even sure what "on a rolling basis" means.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
None of these choices were particular interesting to me nothing even in my top 100.
Rohan 121

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I would really like a remake of WGOK, Shakugan no Shauna, and Oreimo if they fix the ending for it.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Galap wrote:
Then again, the original FMA was only 6 years old when Brotherhood was made

This fact really emphasises how old we have grown. I am somewhat taken aback.

Yeah, it is pretty strange; at the time, that gap felt like an eternity but it wasn't really that long, at least compared to how old both of them are now. It makes me feel weird too.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
so how come there wasn't a submit a title option it was all just point and click and even then some of the titles listed weren't that old and some of the ones that were on there deserve second or third seasons no reboots
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
^ Maybe this survey is intended to gather more general information on styles of shows people like, which is "teased out" of the selections. So it isn't looking at a show in particular, just like/dislike for that kind of show. Some social surveys work better if they hide their true intentions a bit.

I think it would be funny, though, if they were using this to pitch shows to the money people like, "Imagine a Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun with a chunk of Slayers and a bit of Grendizer! It'll be great!" Laughing

It would explain a few of the stranger shows that have been tried...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It escapes me why fans of older titles would want remakes rather than license rescues. A noteworthy work needs no renovation to retain its value—as opposed to its lucrativeness or accessibility—whereas a pedestrian or compromised work is unlikely to be much better for being spruced up. We lose in both cases!

Well, I think the first obvious exception to this is works that were just adapted poorly or incompletely in the first place. As several people have noted, Fruits Basket is just crying out for a do-over because it only adapts part of the still-beloved manga. And some adaptations just fail. Toei’s 2002 Kanon gets little love, but its remake by KyoAni just four years later kicked off the Key/Visual Art’s boom. That suggests there was great source material, but the first adaptation was “pedestrian”/“compromised”, and a do-over was able to make for a very successful anime.

There’s also the era of early digipaint shows, which present a fairly unique problem. Unlike anime with film sources that could be restored (if they exist), there is literally no known way to make these shows not look like ass. And yet, some of them are well-written and well-directed, and a remake could well lose that. For me, that’s the problem with my beloved Rumbling Hearts: the 2003 original looks like it was produced in sub-SD quality (I guess they were really counting on the fuzziness of CRT televisions), but while its 2008 HD sequel by Brain’s Base looks wonderful, the sequel is utterly pointless and lacks the soap opera sting of the original. That speaks to how well written/directed the original was, something you might lose in a remake.

Or an even simpler example of a digipaint conundrum: Haibane Renmei looks awful to modern eyes, but would you even consider a remake if Yoshitoshi Abe were not involved? So yeah, anime remakes can be great or forgettable, but I won’t dismiss them out of hand until it gets to be like Hollywood where everything is a remake or franchise.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

(Although that didn't stop me from voting for UY anyway, since just on the off chance it really is Viz asking, we want to keep ramming this fan choice down their throats.)

Ok, this conclusion made me laugh a lot. But the series is what I said, a parody of a subgenre that didn't even exist when it was made. One guy and lots of girls with some background guys helped propel the romantic comedy manga/anime in direction of it... on occasion... being one indecisive guy and lots of girls.

Ataru is not that guy, I know. He's decisive in what he wants or maybe decisively indecisive in what he actually wants. He wants the harem ending and has gotten them, practically one in each movie.

But there's always a catch and the catch is being Lumless. And that little detail makes him a harem lead as well as a parody of one. He can't just want Lum because that would end the series so it has to be the whole shebang... wow, what a word choice... or nothing.

The idea that "Lum is everything" means Ataru is dishonest about his decisiveness while the typical harem lead are honest about their indecisiveness. Both options end up creating a "no relationship gets consummated" status quo so in effect they are the same. They really shouldn't be but it's more about the punchline's being the same than all the different ways the joke could be told.

Still, a remake could make the series into a D x D harem mess with Ataru both being decisive about what he wants when he means "harem" but being indecisiveness when he gets close to his goal.

But isn't that where UY shines, the part where Ataru, after catching this series of girls or obtaining the harem ending from whatever deity is in earshot, just comes out and declares "No, you don't get it, what I want is Lum." The point where he turns from harem lead into romantic hero? I think I saw it in most of the movies and it worked for me every time.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
(Although that didn't stop me from voting for UY anyway, since just on the off chance it really is Viz asking, we want to keep ramming this fan choice down their throats.)

Ok, this conclusion made me laugh a lot. But the series is what I said, a parody of a subgenre that didn't even exist when it was made. One guy and lots of girls with some background guys helped propel the romantic comedy manga/anime in direction of it... on occasion... being one indecisive guy and lots of girls.
Still, a remake could make the series into a D x D harem mess with Ataru both being decisive about what he wants when he means "harem" but being indecisiveness when he gets close to his goal.
But isn't that where UY shines, the part where Ataru, after catching this series of girls or obtaining the harem ending from whatever deity is in earshot, just comes out and declares "No, you don't get it, what I want is Lum." The point where he turns from harem lead into romantic hero? I think I saw it in most of the movies and it worked for me every time.

You're probably citing Beautiful Dreamer, but Rumiko also finished that off herself, in the "Inaba the Dreammaker" OVA's story:
The gang gets their chance to make homemade futures, Lum dreams of a "sweet-home" with kids, but Ataru dreams of his "Ha-rem ja!" In Ataru's future, he's got his harem of Benten, Ran, Oyuki, Ryuu, etc., but all crammed into a dirty one-room apartment because he can't afford to support them all...And, of course, no Lum. Well, so much for that dream of youth.

Still, point is: IT'S NOT HAREM. Harem is a collection of girls fighting over one average boy who doesn't want the sudden bloodthirsty onslaught of attention and has cold-feet about being forced into a decision...Like Tenchi, Love Hina, and any other game derived from a dating-sim game where the hero has to make one committed choice between three or four very interested girls without letting the other find out. If Ataru gets his face pounded into the sidewalk for choosing every girl, that rather breaks two of the founding rules of Harem.
The genre UY invented was Girl in a Closet--Lum's bedroom-closet futon was how the genre got its name--where our hero in his humble little dwelling is stuck with the awkward combative or platonic relationship of one chaotically magical or unpredictable girl, often literally falling out of the sky, that he can't get rid of, and then soon all the wacky friends, enemies and baggage she brings with her, due to circumstances beyond his control. Ah My Goddess was a goddess-in-a-closet, Chobits was a robot-in-a-closet, and more recently, Miss Kobayashi got a dragon-maid-in-a-closet.

With all the rage over fans smelling "Evil harem!" any time there's more than one female character, there's our primal need to go back and find "who started it!" to go punish them.
If you're going out to beat up on Harem's ancestor just to work out your Sword Art Online issues, that would be Tenchi, and its parodies of tragic ancient-Japanese love triangles.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Well this was surprisingly easy. "None of the options" - for all questions.

I mean, am I the only one who is sick and tired of this "ride the nostalgia, REMAKE/REBOOT ALL THE THINGS!" trend? There are tons of great stuff out there that could be adapted into anime, or hell, how about coming up with something new and actually interesting (that is not built on All The Nostalgic For US Audience Tropes All The Time, looking at you Netflix originals with that one remarkable exception). I know this is a business and productions want to be as safe as possible but come the hell on. Or if you must reboot/remake/re-adapt something at least do it in a fun, interesting, innovative way, but again that's not something I see often (looking at you, LoGH: Die Neue These, you uninspired, boring thing).

I've been watching anime and reading manga since the '90s, so it's not like I'm some newbie who only cares about the newest and most hyped hits. But I'm so so so done with this trend of nostalgia grab.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:25 am Reply with quote
So did anybody actually win anything?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5