• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hinamatsuri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
NAMAHAGENAMAHAGENAMAHAGENAMAHAGENAMAHAGE
Emdykay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Sooo Utako is being increasingly cut out of the opening and ending, there are even more missing appearances than before.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Once this season is over I need an Hitomi spin off!
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
This definitely is one of my favorite episodes so far. Scene where Hitomi's mom confronted her about staying out late was pure gold. Also her mom is so short I thought that was her sister or something.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode in a series full of them. Not just Hitomi, but I think it would be awesome for every main character of this series to get their own spin-off. They are all so much fun in their own way that I would give my money to help get those projects funded yesterday. Very Happy
Sulfy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Hitomi's facial expressions sold the episode to me (as usual). Despite how absurd the premise of the episode was, it was hilarious from start to finish. Most cringe worthy scene for me was the horse track sequence...because I probably would've done the exact same as Anzu Sad
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Poor Hitomi; as funny as her predicament is, I can't help feeling really sorry for her. That moment when she passes out in her apartment and wakes up crying seemed played pretty straight (a commentary on modern adult working life, perhaps?).

I really hope this show can get a second season; it's too good to end at 12 episodes!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After all that entertaining buildup, the payoff of the interview's final cut is just a little bit underwhelming. ... the follow-up scene of Hina and the yakuza officers torturing Nitta by quoting lines from the documentary is funny enough to sweep any nagging doubts aside.

That's because that was the payoff. The edited documentary, which was also a scathing commentary on the state of reality tv (didn't know it was as bad in Japan as it is in the US), was just the hilarious run-up to it, while we were kept wondering, like Nitta, how his superiors were going to react. It makes me smile just to imagine those hard-boiled yakuza rewatching it over and over and rolling on the floor laughing at it. Very Happy I kinda guessed they wouldn't be angry, but the quoting the lines at him was just genius.

I loved the callback to the ashtray. I wonder if Sabu will be sporting a scar like Nitta's now?

Btw, Mother's Basement pointed out that Utako's gradual disappearance from the OP/ED has matched Nitta's growing realization of what a shitty person she is, and his losing all attraction to her. That wasn't a one-and-done change of heart just from her rejection of him.

Btw, btw, does anyone else think that Hitomi is a dead ringer for Matilda?
Efscope

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Btw, btw, does anyone else think that Hitomi is a dead ringer for Matilda?

Yeah, but she actually reminds me of some of the girls from various works by Urushihara Satoshi

Btw btw btw
Hina's cast was off before, now it was back on? When exactly does this episode take place and for that matter were any other episodes aired in a different order chronologically?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
^ I think the first half took place concurrent with episode 8: she has the cast on at the start, but by the time Ikaruga makes contact, it's off; and in episode 11 it's off by the time they watch the doc (they were probably going to get it off when shown entering the hospital). That works, since the documentary wouldn't have happened in a week. Also, if this had been dropped in after 8, the callback to the ashtray story in 9 wouldn't have worked.

One thing I realized today is that they casually gave us an infodump of Nitta's whole backstory. To do that so organically that it doesn't even register as such, disguised among the usual inanity, just demonstrates the brilliance of the writing in this show. (ok, to everyone else who is quicker on the uptake than me, it's probably merely good writing, but I felt kinda gobsmacked when I noticed. Smile)
ZanathKariashi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
Even in the manga there's actually a timeskip during the documentary chapter (or I guess a flashback since 3/4 of the chapter is done in past tense with Seta's narration but becomes present tense after trying to provoke Nitta at the bar).

He apparently started interviewing Nitta off-screen shortly after Utako dumped him, and it jumps forward a few times, over the course of several weeks of research.

And then another couple weeks editing/reshooting/preparing the documentary for broadcast.

Basically up until Seta is looking in on his family, everything is him just rationalizing what he's been doing up till that moment and how he got here and then the present arrives.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
They added Utako back in the OP but it pretty much felt like an afterthought since she didn't do anything this episode. And something tells me I really wanna know the lyrics to that ending song.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think recommendations for this show should be only for people who want something 'different' or 'unique' per se. The average person might like this blend of humor too. Though the situations were very unique, the humor and storyline might not be that alien to Western perspectives.
Examples: Nitta being in denial when he sees the weird form of Hina in a 'ball', shady guy caring for a problem child, the high school kid being jealous of Hina being slapped (spanked) bij Hitomi.

I think it is also a fine example of a show that works best in animated form. Not all people would buy the supernatural elements if they were done in live action with bad CG.

The very ending wasn't my favorite part of the season, but the fight scene was well animated. I liked the snow part, the characters had great chemistry.
ZanathKariashi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
2 cours would've given them the room to do basically the entire pre-time skip and still end on a Post-Time Skip sequal hook.

There's 5 chapters they'd have do some work with to fit network guidelines but they'd have plenty of run-time to work around the sensitive bits, but aside for those the rest were pretty much only cut because the chapters they did include were the most important for plot/character development.

Overall all though, the crew did the best with the material that they could for the time slots allowed, and re-arranged thing a little to ensure a good balance of cast-content.

Even if you cut out everything involving Mao, and ended on a stinger of "Mao transport request: Approved" flashing on Ikaruga's computer thing" the show would've been basically the same.

All we'd have probably gotten different was "Mika's wild tokyo adventure" and "The Limits and Abuses of Education".

And I'm still not convinced this is everything. I'm almost willing to bet there's gonna be a bonus episode or two for the DVD/BD at some point as there are characters in the OP who NEVER appear in the anime (and a bunch of effort put into their interactions during the run by. Hell they get more screen time in the OP than Sayo does). And between those three chapters there's enough for 1 more episode worth of skits.

-----------------------------------------

On the other hand, a lot of people have said that it was either the fluidity of the opening scene or the hilarity of MY SMARTPHOOOOONEEEEE! that got them to give the series a shot until something else grabbed them for the people who were otherwise lukewarm on the first episode.

So overall I think the staff did make the right call in using it that way.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
What an emotional rollercoaster... One of the best shows that managed to combine comedy and drama in such a brilliant and creative way. So many memorable scenes where I had the confusing urge to cry and break out laughing at the same time.

It reminds me of an interesting storytelling aspect mentioned in Bakuman back then, when the mentoring editor of the protagonists told them that there is a specific type of comedy called 'serious comedy'. It means showing a scene which actually is a dead serious situation for the character, sometimes even underlined with a very tragic tone, but overall it serves as humorous punchline and get funnier the more the drama and the conflict grows. Hinamatsuri is the incomparable embodiment of this type.

This show has the potential to become one of my all-time-favourites and it clearly needs way more attention. It's time for some fanart work again...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6