• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump Editors Apologize for Eiichiro Oda's Comments in One Piece Manga's 89th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If OP ever gents cancelled due to something like that, people would certainly protest. They'd probably just let it go and forget it, the same way they forgot Toriko's author's past offenses.

Wait, what is this about Toriko's author's past offenses? Does it has something to do with the cancellation of his manga?
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
I don't get why this is offensive unless it's mentioning the Rape of Nanking or the Attack on Pearl Harbor, this is by far the least harmful thing. I mean the war has been over for like 70 years, get over it.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Criticism of free speech, even when that criticism results in real consequences against the original speaker, isn't suppression of free speech. That said, I feel the criticism is overblown, though I'm not as attached to the subject as those in Japan that are criticizing Oda.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Quote:
If OP ever gents cancelled due to something like that, people would certainly protest. They'd probably just let it go and forget it, the same way they forgot Toriko's author's past offenses.

Wait, what is this about Toriko's author's past offenses? Does it has something to do with the cancellation of his manga?

People like bringing Shimabukuro's underage solicitation incident from 2002, especially in light of Nobuhiro Watsuki's more recent news, but most of those people either willfully ignore or simply don't know that Shimabukuro did, indeed, get "punished" for his stupid actions. Yes, his jail time was revoked, but it's not like Shimabukuro was immediately allowed back to doing manga regularly. He was caught in 2002, and it wasn't until 2004 that he even debuted a new short manga in Young Jump, and he didn't (rush) a proper finale for Takeshi! until 2005 in the same magazine.

Toriko didn't debut until 2008, or roughly six years after Takeshi!'s cancellation, and even then there's word that he wasn't allowed back to Shonen Jump until Eiichiro Oda spoke up for him. Was what he did terrible? Yes, no one's arguing against that, but at the same time he was mostly excommunicated from doing manga regularly, outside of a single short manga, and even then it was aimed at adults; he wasn't allowed anywhere near making manga for younger audiences until nearly a decade later. I do believe that people should be given second chances if they've shown that they have learned from their mistakes & changed for the better, and considering that Toriko had a long run, and there's been no news of Shimabukuro doing anything skeevy again, I'd like to hope that he has managed to redeem himself. Does that mean that everyone should accept his past & move on? Not at all, people are allowed to think of what he did in whatever way they want, but I do think constantly bringing up his past & acting as though he was given a light slap on the wrist, like Watsuki was given, is not right.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting brain tumors from how stupid the reactions are from this forum about this subject..
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
People should introduce Señor Chang from Community to these so called commenters/wusses. There they will understand that are jokes that are actually funny cause they are insensitive to some degree
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4