• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Real Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
As annoying as Tsutsui’s inferiority complex can get, I find myself becoming more and more annoyed with Iroha as the show goes on. She can never just tell Tsutsui what’s bothering her; she expects him to figure it out himself and then gets mad at him when he can’t. While I understand that having to spell out your feelings all the time would get frustrating, she knows Tsutsui can’t read people. He can tell something’s bothering her; isn’t that enough? How quickly would this have been solved if she had just told him, “I’m jealous”? I’m not saying that Tsutsui is blameless in the situation, but the show seems way too eager to pin everything on him whenever they have relationship problems when Iroha’s inability to express any negative thoughts or feelings until they boil over and then still get mad at Tsutsui’s for not noticing them is equally to blame.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While it feels kind of gimmicky to have Iroha hiding around the corner during the scene just so Tsutsui can bring her out as a visual aid, his speech is as relevant to her as it is to Ayado.

Which is probably why he asked her to be there? I didn't see that as a gimmick but just as more of Tsutsui's weird way of doing things. Smile He probably thought it would be easier if she heard it all than trying to properly explain everything later and getting it wrong. I'm not even sure he planned to drag her out as a prop, but things just went that way.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
We finally get into Iroha's head just to find out she lies to herself. She saw a doctor to help with a "bout of depression" but she tells Tsuntsui she's close to her family doctor because of allergies. Between the two, I actually thought the allergy lie was better because her doctor wears a lab coat.

I've been expecting this plot to show itself eventually but even now, it's still in the "we don't know much about Iroha" phase.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this show a lot despite the low productions costs. The cast is way more enjoyable than Wotaku and I can actually feel a chemistry between the characters.

The whole development is really interesting to see happen I find it isn't something you usually see in anime. Iroha is also a pretty interesting female lead, not the usual kind of girl you would expect.
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Yikes the production looks like it really fell apart with this week's episode. Having completely different looking character models 3+ cuts in a row was jarring, then they said they were going to play badminton and I thought "uh oh", but it ended up being sound effects and a still shot xD.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I know I put up a post in here last night. If it got moderated, I have no idea why. :/

I watched this episode immediately after watching episode 11 of Magical Girl Ore, in which they did a hilarious full-on parody of bad animation, and frankly, it looked better than this did. Which is a real shame since so much depended on facial expressions to get the characters' feelings across here. It looks like they pulled random tourists off the street in Akihabara and said, "Hey, give it your best shot!" Ugh.

Quote:
Nothing changes between Ishino and Takahashi

I'm not sure I agree with that. If that's their last hurrah, then we've left them as friends instead of acquaintances that annoy each other to death, and if they end up together somehow, it won't seem quite as much like it came out of nowhere. That's the first time we've really seen them get along comfortably with each other.

I think Iruha's brother is clearly more than overprotective. But if next week is the last episode, they've got a helluva lot of work to do to wrap things up, bringing him in this late in the game.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
I have generally liked this series so far despite the mediocre animation but yeah, this week's episode was much worse than normal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
Really am wondering how this is being closed out. its like at the halfway point of the manga and has hardly introduced one the main plot;lines of the manga. And theres what? 1 episode left?
ReDEnergy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
_Quasar_ wrote:
Really am wondering how this is being closed out. its like at the halfway point of the manga and has hardly introduced one the main plot;lines of the manga. And theres what? 1 episode left?

Well, guess we have our answer, Season 2 was confirmed. I can say that it was completely unexpected because I assumed (mostly based on western reception) that the show was not that well received. Anyway... I'm actually quite pleased that it's not ending here and that we get to see what comes next. For a show that never got that much attention (would say for the right reasons since it doesn't excel in any way), I found myself actually enjoying watching it or at least wondering how would the plot advance. So, all I can say, great that it got the chance to finish the story (hope so).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
I wish this was going to be a moving-on story for Ito, but given that his love interest is an important supporting character and not some random girl who turned him down, I have a feeling a second season will see it turning into one of those stories where Ito will stalk her (more than he already is) until he's rewarded with her finally noticing his feelings and reciprocates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2