• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Potential White Supremacist Rally Aligns with Otakon Weekend in DC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Is this actually a White Supremacist rally?

Or are we just regurgitating the military mainstream media talking points?

Because as far as I've looked into this the original event, that unfortunately turned into a debacle with a murder and racist fear-mongering, it did have a legitimate basis and every legal right, whether anyone agrees or disagrees with its premise.

I'm not white, but there's definitely a mood of insane anti-white hysteria going about, and it's perfectly legitimate if white people found a group to represent their equal interests when they are being broadly attacked, just as for blacks, Indians, Asians etc. All part and parcel of the whole multi-cultural project.

That's a far cry from accusations of actual white supremacy as a racist ideology.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Kokonoetanmick wrote:
#854626 wrote:
i feel like that, if any white supremacists wander there ways to the convention, it would at least be a good chance for anime fans of all colors and nationalities to come together and defend one another. in the end it might be good for racial relationships...and its only 400 people. 400 tiny little people in this country of, what is it, 15 million? just goes to show how insignificant white supremacy is in America. there will probably be at least fifteen times as many people at that anime con.

White supremacy = straw man. I think every race or people should be proud of their heritage. I'm proud to be white and think it's important to defend the interests of my group, but at same time I have friends from all ethnicities. Very Happy

Of course there are not-so-nice-people in events like Unite the Right (the same applies to Black Lives Matter moviment), but it's the minority and the media is full of shit.

Btw, I'll go to both events.

Stops being a situation of "media being full of shit" and becomes a major public problem when someone dies and several others are injured.
You know...like the last time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Headline says "Potential White Supremacist Rally Aligns with Otakon Weekend in DC". The way the headline is worded, it could be interpreted as Otakon is aligning with theh. If it said "Potential White Supremacist Rally Aligns n DC the Same Weekend as Otakon", it might be less ambiguous.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Because as far as I've looked into this the original event, that unfortunately turned into a debacle with a murder and racist fear-mongering, it did have a legitimate basis and every legal right, whether anyone agrees or disagrees with its premise.

I'm not white, but there's definitely a mood of insane anti-white hysteria going about, and it's perfectly legitimate if white people found a group to represent their equal interests when they are being broadly attacked, just as for blacks, Indians, Asians etc. All part and parcel of the whole multi-cultural project.

That's a far cry from accusations of actual white supremacy as a racist ideology.

Military mainstream media talking points? Are you kidding me right now? You and the guy with a new account...wow. Seriously? This is FACTUALLY a white supremacist rally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrcB1sAN8I

"Jews will not replace us!" "Blood and soil!" - among other racist things they chanted. Their platform is literally to get rid of non-white races (and Jews). How else do you define white supremacist? There's no "Anti-white" hysteria. You're watching too much Fox News (which btw, has been scientifically proven to make people LESS informed thanks to their lies)
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:

Not to say what you can or cannot post for news, but it's easy to construe this news post as "stay away from Otakon" signal, however unintended it may be.

If you're a member of one of the groups targeted by this white supremacist scumbags (IE, if you're anything aside from a straight white man) then you absolutely should be informed about this in the most stark way possible. Worst case scenario, this could rally could be a risk to people's personal safety, and informing people of that ultimately has to take precedence over the popularity of a convention.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder which event will have more dakimakuras?
Kimaca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Why are we even giving these knuckle-draggers the benefit of promotion from this article? A relative handful of ignorant losers like this milling about miles from the convention should no more matter to the con itself than dog poop at the same distance. These guys do this shit for the visibility, why help?

Yeah, the last time this group met, people were injured, one was killed. This is not a harmless gathering.

I'm black and intending to go to Otakon this year. I absolutely want to know if there's a white supremacist rally going on in the general area of where I'll be staying and visiting so I can make the decision for myself whether I feel safe enough to attend, what area to avoid, etc. This is relevant to my safety, so I'm glad ANN reported on it (since Otakon only vaguely tweeted that it was a rally without specifying what type of rally it was, so I was under the impression there was going to be an anti-Trump march or something, not a group of people who wish I were dead).
Vadara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Given how many neo-nazis and alt-righters infest western anime fandom these days, I have a feeling this was not an accident.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
White civil rights? What!? I want to go on a long rant about that, but I don't want to be ban because I won't have nice things to say.
I hope the people going to Otakon will be safe.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Racism is defined by the belief that race exists and that it matters: there there is such a thing as "white people" with "white interests" for instance. Of course, a "white convention" is by definition a racist convention.

Racism is a problem for several reasons: First, racism is tehcnically wrong since races don't really exist in a clearly delimited sense (what is "white"?, depends on the country and social context, anthropologists have long reached the conclusion that human races do not exist). Second, the idea of caring about their "race" leads to the creation of artificial barriers and stereotypes between people and hence to the dehumanization of individuals. Races don't exist, only individuals exist and if two persons have similar skin tone that doesn't mean they have anything in common.

The concept of race and of thinking that a person should be friends with people of similar skin color is a pretty stupid idea if you think just a little about it: why a person should feel pride of having a skin of a certain color (besides the idea it might look pretty)? It's so stupid, it's like having pride in having a certain shape of their hairline or a certain feet shape and then thinking that people with similar hairline shape or feet shape should be similar people in general just because of those characteristics.

Anyway, the US has some serious problems with that kind of ideology. Because even now as of 2018, there are lots of people in the US who still believe that their "race" is a category of paramount importance in defining who they are. It is a natural consequence of the rise of identity politics which put the concept of group identity as determining the individual person besides the US's past history of racial segregation.

One interesting thing is that there are white supremacists who are anime fans, that is, there are people who believe in the inherent superiority of the white race while they admire the artistic expression of people that are not white (i.e. the Japanese directors, writers and artists who make this stuff). In other words, they are directly contradicting their beliefs but of course if the were smart enough to understand that they wouldn't be white supremacists.

Anyway, I think that clear things up on why I think that the concept of "white pride" is by itself dangerous.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Kokonoetanmick wrote:
#854626 wrote:
i feel like that, if any white supremacists wander there ways to the convention, it would at least be a good chance for anime fans of all colors and nationalities to come together and defend one another. in the end it might be good for racial relationships...and its only 400 people. 400 tiny little people in this country of, what is it, 15 million? just goes to show how insignificant white supremacy is in America. there will probably be at least fifteen times as many people at that anime con.

White supremacy = straw man. I think every race or people should be proud of their heritage. I'm proud to be white and think it's important to defend the interests of my group, but at same time I have friends from all ethnicities. Very Happy

Of course there are not-so-nice-people in events like Unite the Right (the same applies to Black Lives Matter moviment), but it's the minority and the media is full of shit.

Btw, I'll go to both events.

You're not just "proud of your heritage." Going to a white supremacy event means you think that your race is superior, rather you have friends of all ethnicities or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm not terribly concerned, I think 2 miles is far enough away from the convention center that if I mostly stick inside of the convention center, I should be ok. And I think my hotel, while 0.6 mi from the convention center, is in the opposite direction of the mall. And odds are all the nerds have already booked said hotels anyway.

I just hope I can get a good seat at Farmers & Distillers..... (really awesome restaurant a stones throw from the convention center! Pretty affordable too, especially for being in DC), though I am planning to drag my friends there thursday after getting badges anyway, so it should be good then.

My main plan is to enjoy the con and put the clowns out of my head. This is vacation for me, I'm not going to let anything ruin it! But I'll probably check the news before I go from inside the con to outside of it (sat+sun anyway.... and be careful on the Metro on sunday on the way back...) Also, going to scrap having gun props (even if they have those bright orange tips), it is a good excuse to be lazy on that!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Major thanks for ANN bringing this to our attention.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what side of the political spectrum you're on, if you call another poster "a piece of ****," or something similar, your post will be deleted and you may be banned.... even if they are a piece of ****.

Likewise, if you express any racist, misogynist, or otherwise hateful POV on this forum, you can kiss your post and your posting privileges goodbye.

Last edited by Tempest on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
One interesting thing is that there are white supremacists who are anime fans, that is, there are people who believe in the inherent superiority of the white race while they admire the artistic expression of people that are not white (i.e. the Japanese directors, writers and artists who make this stuff). In other words, they are directly contradicting their beliefs but of course if the were smart enough to understand that they wouldn't be white supremacists.

I think it's pretty obvious to see the connection. Japan is considered an ideal country for a lot of groups. They have very strict immigration policies and have zero tolerance for illegals who try to circumvent said policies. They are a county whose population are made up of 99% ethnically Japanese, and the remaining 1% are mostly Asians from other East Asia countries. Their crime rate is amazingly low. Education rate is high. They lack all the problems diversity driven nations do. Nobody really cares about 'Asian supremacists' though, despite their hatred for blacks and Muslims as much as any white supremacist might have.

Also, keep in mind a lot of Asian-Americans are discriminated against in America in the opposite other minorities are. They get penalized for being too educated when applying to colleges and have their test scores decreased compared to blacks or hispanics. They are turned down when applying for jobs because they're lumped in with white people when it comes to affirmative action quotes. They're essentially considered honorary whites in a lot of regards by the system and the left.

-Stuart Smith
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6