• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:29 am Reply with quote
That would be pay 2 win.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Really hoping the shot of M and Pito indicate she really does have feelings for him...
Which shot, the one where she's unconscious and he's kissing her? Or where she stops him from setting off the grenade and killing them both... I don't see how either would communicate her having feelings for him.

Ok, so if they have Nerve Gear and dying in the game means dying in real life, I'm lost as to how Llenn killing her means she won't die in real life. I was under the impression that she would kill herself if anyone but Llenn beat her, but Nerve Gear kinda throws a wrench into that - was that story all a lie?... Well, they did, but they deserved it for stupidly not being on guard for such betrayal, not for trying to team up....
The second shot is what I was thinking, like I say hoping as it wasn't a definitive indication but the motion seemed very gentle. Of course someone will argue she is recovering consciousness to account for that, could be. Pito seems to have some sort of relationship with M, the latter being a manager or staffer or bodyguard but since he seems to love her it would be crappy that she was just using him. That could also be.

About the NerveGear, good point. Pito is obviously obsessed with SAO so having such makes sense and the dialogue seemed to be a possible reveal but that interferes with the previous information. I agree about KKHC being borderline stupid for being so trusting but since they admitted to being new to battle events I attributed their behavior to that. That the show keeps pounding on Pito being an inhuman monster seems overdone and is getting annoying...
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

"Is this fun for you?!"

Well, yeah. Duh. Isn't that why people play video games?

Fuka being left alive was kinda dumb but it was still a pretty fun episode.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Did Fuka have some kind of plan when she left LLENN tied up and ran out into the open by herself? I could understand if she was providing a distraction while LLENN flanked the enemy or something but by the time LLENN could move again Fuka was already disabled and the only reason she wasn't taken out much sooner was because Pito likes playing with her prey. It felt like a wasted sacrifice.

And can players be knocked unconscious in this game? When Pito is finishing off the two guys at the start of the ep one of them is knocked out. I thought the game kicked people out if they suffered too much of a shock. Or maybe it's just an in game status effect and just disables player control or something?

And what is with the sentient P-chan? I still don't get what's the point of that, it's only shown up twice in the show and didn't really affect anything when it did appear. I could understand if it was like a reoccurring character that talked to LLENN when she's alone or something like her subconscious or something but it's barely shown up at all.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
^
P-chan is just a recurring joke playing on LLENN's psyche. I accept it at that level and find it amusing as a result.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
It barely fits the definition of reoccurring, as this is only the second time it's shown up heh. As I said, I don't really mind her talking to her weapon, she's shown to be very attached to it. It's just that they showed it briefly once and then never again until now so it just felt like it came out of nowhere.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Or where she stops him from setting off the grenade and killing them both (I think that's what he was about to do, I'm not sure - I took it that he tossed it out the window when he knew she woke up in time)?
They used the grenade on the wall to go into the adjacent room and catch MMTM by surprise.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
...And what is with the sentient P-chan? I still don't get what's the point of that, it's only shown up twice in the show and didn't really affect anything when it did appear. I could understand if it was like a reoccurring character that talked to LLENN when she's alone or something like her subconscious or something but it's barely shown up at all.
I hope they aren't trying to back up the "Psycho LLENN" angle that she really does have MPD and that "going psycho" means bringing out the other personality. I thought originally that Pito had paid for a hack into the game system and was voicing "P-chan" since she wasen't able to be in SJ1 but I doubt that now. I think that would have been more interesting.

I also was a little disappointed with this Ep since SHINC has good tactics until this "you're too slow" bit which, if it was intended to get LLENN moving, seems to rely too much on LLENN's apparent lack of need for backup in "psycho" mode. And, yes, T-S comes from nowhere, on bikes of all things. Talk about deux et machina...
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
#844391 wrote:
...And what is with the sentient P-chan? I still don't get what's the point of that, it's only shown up twice in the show and didn't really affect anything when it did appear. I could understand if it was like a reoccurring character that talked to LLENN when she's alone or something like her subconscious or something but it's barely shown up at all.
I hope they aren't trying to back up the "Psycho LLENN" angle that she really does have MPD and that "going psycho" means bringing out the other personality. I thought originally that Pito had paid for a hack into the game system and was voicing "P-chan" since she wasen't able to be in SJ1 but I doubt that now. I think that would have been more interesting.

I also was a little disappointed with this Ep since SHINC has good tactics until this "you're too slow" bit which, if it was intended to get LLENN moving, seems to rely too much on LLENN's apparent lack of need for backup in "psycho" mode. And, yes, T-S comes from nowhere, on bikes of all things. Talk about deux et machina...

Nah, 'Psycho' LLENN isn't another personality, nor is P Chan. It's just LLENN throwing aside all her inhibitions and letting her instincts free. She's a 'thinky' girl, which serves her well when tactics and strategy are called for, but when she's so outnumbered or against a monster player like Pitou, she has to rely on instinct - work without strategy, be unpredictable, be LUCKY. She has to just plain go Wild.

P-chan is just a gag and possibly a subconscious thing so that she feels like she has backup, since it only ever happens when she's alone and desperate and such.

P-Chan is her partner, who will never let her down, after all~
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:44 am Reply with quote
lol @ the pic in this article.
Thank you ANN for providing me my morning funny.

And the creators of SAO should have probably done some research on firearms or proper shooting of them.. that picture is laughable.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
^
Since I'm no firearms expert, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what's so laughable about what's depicted in that screenshot?

Also, the creator of this side story is a self-admitted gun nut who's been knowledgeable enough to do weapon consulting work on other anime series, so I find it hard to believe that he would tolerate something that's egregiously inaccurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Since I'm no firearms expert, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what's so laughable about what's depicted in that screenshot?

Also, the creator of this side story is a self-admitted gun nut who's been knowledgeable enough to do weapon consulting work on other anime series, so I find it hard to believe that he would tolerate something that's egregiously inaccurate.

At a guess, it's that she's firing a large caliber assault rifle apparently full auto without bracing it, and expecting it to be accurate - but GGO doesn't require actual gun knowledge or technique, and trying to be accurate against LLENN is a fools errand. The most logical tactic against her speed and unpredictable movements is the "spray-n-pray" - cover the entire area with bullets In the hopes of hitting something.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
And apparently the game has no basis in basic physics then of i am reading this correctly.

Unfortunately its not a large caliber rifle either.. my guess is an AKM pattern rifle which fires a .30 caliber round with ballistics equivalent to your dad's 30/30 hunting rifle. Which for the uniformed is considered a Bush rifle round used on midsize game.
Unless it's the newer 74 variant which even has a smaller caliber footprint more like the .22 rifle. For the uniformed this is a smaller diameter bullet used on small game.. Does the series give any indication one way or the other?

And as for why it's funny.. basic rifle skills 101 buttstock in the shoulder and check near the rear reciever so you get a good sight picture. This image has neither.. best case scenario she doesn't hit anything.... worst case scenario sense loses control of the rifle due to full auto barrel rise and recoil and shoots herself in pure idiocy.

Contrary to popular opinion full auto fire is terribly inaccurate.. usually used for suppression.

Now that I had to explain it.. the picture went from funny to stupid.

Good luck with this series folks glad I'm not watching it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Guns not working realistically in anime, movies and video games is nothing new. And in that scene, Pito turns around and just tries to quickly spray at a car that catches her by surprise. I can't be certain, but Pito not holding the gun properly might be because she didn't have enough time to take a proper shooting stance in that situation... or it could be an oversight by the creators. With this show, it could very well be either of 'em.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Just so we are clear.. I'm not debating the symantec's of what is happening in this scene. I'll keep it simple.. the image looks like one of those fail videos you see on YouTube and never seem to end well.

That's it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12