• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
There's a fake broadcaster in the database / other issues

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntkwsr

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
All Toons (#6352) never existed, and all source links in its page go to a dead forum with free hosting.

Spanish staff/company info: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star were never licensed by Alebrije Entertainment nor dubbed by Candiani Studios, and both have "www.wikipedia.org" as the source. The Crunchyroll/Bandai licenses for both shows expired.

Also, I can't add Chinese (Hong Kong)/Cantonese/Yue Chinese company info to the The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV) / TV 2009 renewal articles. TVB J2 broadcasted it, their website has a page for it and the entire dub is available on bilibili.
ntkwsr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Pita-Ten (TV)'s Chinese (Hong Kong) alternative title is 天使.愛.美紗, but I can't add it.

The same person (guessing, you can't see the history on the encyclopedia) who added the (fake) All Toons broadcaster also added a self-translated alternative title: "El Prestamo Del Zombie" (Spanish) for Zombie-Loan. Quoting the guide shown when you add an alternative title on the encyclopedia: "do not [self-]translate; it has to be a known title!"

The encyclopedia says that All Toons broadcasted 13 anime, yet 5 of them (Ah! My Goddess (TV), D.I.C.E., Haruhi, Yu-Gi-Oh! (TV 1/1998), Zombie-Loan) never had a Spanish-language release/broadcast.

A thread was created in 2007 about the lack of a good source for the Haruhi Spanish cast, so this isn't new.
ntkwsr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
From archive.org:

11 years ago (March 11, 2007), All Toons's page listed 99 anime.
On April 3, 2007, it listed 112 anime.

Somewhere between that and August 17, 2007, the All Toons page was wiped, but All Toons was still in the database as a broadcaster.

The archived page from January 4, 2008 shows that someone added 3 anime to the All Toons page: Death Note, Haruhi and The Twelve Kingdoms. Death Note premiered on December 15, 2008 in Spain and March 3, 2009 in Latin America, so All Toons couldn't have broadcasted it. Haruhi still doesn't have a Spanish-language release today, 10 years later.

The page from March 7, 2008 shows new anime: Ah! My Goddess, Zombie-Loan, .hack//Roots and five Yu-Gi-Oh seasons. The first 2 never had a Spanish-language release (as I pointed out in my previous post).

The archived page from April 3, 2008 shows the same list you can see today. D.I.C.E. (not available in Spanish) and D.Gray-man were added.

The encyclopedia's "system" (anyone can add info, nobody can see who added what, only moderators can edit or remove info that someone else added) is really vulnerable to hoaxes. Editing info shouldn't be harder than adding it.
ntkwsr

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
The fake All Toons entries still haven't been removed.
ntkwsr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
Bumping again, since the All Toons entries still haven't been removed.
ntkwsr wrote:
A thread was created in 2007 about the lack of a good source for the Haruhi Spanish cast, so this isn't new.

I just realized that the page was wiped on the same day as that thread, and not just "somewhere between April and August". So it's a reoffense, but nobody removed the fake entries the second time around.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, 90% of the fake entries were already wiped, but a few more got added and never caught.

I've marked them all false/improbably. Embarrassed that they managed to stay so long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1