• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is Wonderful (#1033)?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
anime#1033, called Wonderful (TV), has only ADV staff listed and no sources for the information on the page. An old Month in Review column on ANN states
Quote:
ADV now has most of library that belonged to the now defunct Streamline.
Upcoming releases include:
Crying Freeman, Megolopolis, Zone of the Enders, Rurouni Kenshin OVA Series 2, Sakura Wars OAVS, Original Dirty Pair, The Samurai, Slayers Next (movie/ovas presumably), Nadesico movie, Your Under Arrest motion picture, You're Under Arrest SPecial OVA's, 5 min movie prequal, Yuki Torai Virtual Idol, LadyDeath, SiN 2, Medabots, Southern Cross, Mospeada, BT'X, Aura Battler Dunbine, Bura (?), Triangle Sessions, City Hunter movies, New Cutey Honey (3d cg, supposed to be gorgeous, Colorful, Dark Millennium, Eden's Bowy, Rui, Neo Ranga, Ninja Resurrection TV, Milk-chan, Wonderful

It is greenlinked to the Wonderful omnibus from TBS, but I doubt it is related. I presume that Wonderful is a duplicate of...something? Confused
horseradish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
AnimeOnDVD reported that Wonderful was an animation licensed by ADV Films during Katsucon 8 (February 17, 2002). They included Wonderful in their licensing list, but stated source was AX Announcement (could not verify). Wonderful is also shown in the unscheduled licenses section for their ADV studio directory, but is quietly removed from the chart some time between Oct 2004 - Feb 2005 (the 2004 year in review for ADV does not include Wonderful). The directory claims that the license was announced on February 2, 2003 instead and doesn't specify which convention the announcement happened unlike the other titles. Could not find DVD release or further information on ADV Film's defunct website.
mbanu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
It is greenlinked to the Wonderful omnibus from TBS, but I doubt it is related. I presume that Wonderful is a duplicate of...something? Confused

Might the press releases have been about them getting first rights to license shows from the Wonderful omnibus? If you look at the shows listed, all those that are currently or have previously been licensed were done so by ADV or Sentai.
horseradish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe...? I noticed that connection too, but it's hard to say for sure without more info. In the licensing report, Colorful and Wonderful are both reported. Colorful was part of Wonderful, so would they announce that particular title separately?

The Wonderful omnibus refers to an animation skit that ran within the Wonderful variety show, similar to TV Funhouse for Saturday Night Live in America. ADV licensed and released comedy sketches like The Fuccons and Vermilion Pleasure Night on DVD. Would they have licensed the variety show Wonderful? The genres and objectionable content rating present in the entry don't seem out of place for a variety show.

"Wonderful" is vague enough as a name that it could be still something else. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1