• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
API and third-party apps?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kovaelin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Are there any plans on expanding the API beyond just the encyclopedia, and perhaps incorporating people's tracking profiles?

Also, does anybody know of apps that exist right now that uses ANN's API?

Thanks.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Right now there are no specific plans, but we're planing on a lot of development in the near future. We're open to suggestions. What would you like to see from an API ?
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't use the API, and only used it briefly a while back, but if you are looking to do some work on it, I'd think it'd benefit from being more RESTful in that it'd be good to have links between resource e.g.

Code:
<related>

Could be

Code:

<related>
           <uri>/api.xml?anime=4199</url>
           <rel>adapted from</rel>
</related>

Which would assist with traversing data. Also having extra resources available via the API, i.e. persons, would be useful to be able to extract more information.

I was investigating some graphing algorithms a while back and wanted to pluck some people and the work they were involved in as example data to play with. Having the above would have made the job a lot easier. Not that I'm saying my case is worth investing any time or thought into, just I found the API a pain to work with and if it is seriously to be extended for external use, then I'd really consider looking at the above.
hugonun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
Currently, the only way to get the IDs of the newest anime is by using the following:

Quote:
reports.xml?id=155&type=anime&nlist=<row>

The issue is that we don't know how many rows we should display, meaning we have to do an extra API call to get the latest anime id, and use it to calculate the necessary rows.

It would be great if the API could give the needed rows automatically using the latest anime ID we have. Assuming our latest ID is 1000, it would look like:

Quote:
reports.xml?id=155&type=anime&lastid=1000
Kovaelin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Right now there are no specific plans, but we're planing on a lot of development in the near future. We're open to suggestions. What would you like to see from an API ?

Being able to use it for tracking our lists through things like Taiga would be good.

You're currently missing a really good opportunity to gain users since MAL's still getting their site sorted out, after all these months.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1