• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Media Franchises in Japan: 2018 (First Half)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
So the idols reign supreme, as should be expected.

Those are crazy good numbers for Takagi-san, at least since it isn't a famous franchise. I don't think anyone should have to worry about the anime not getting a continuation; ditto with Laid-Back Camp.

Last edited by Blatch on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
So the idols reign supreme, as should be expected.

Those are crazy good numbers for Takagi-san, at least since it isn't a famous franchise. I don't think anyone should have to worry about the anime getting a continuation; ditto with Laid-Back Camp.

Wait we shouldn't have to worry about them getting new seasons? As in you expect them to or don't? Not sure your opinion on these series, but personally I'd love another season of Laid Back Camp.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Is Takagi-san manga selling for 100 yen each or something?
I wouldn't expect a lot of money coming from the middle school boys, and don't see anyone else buying it.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
With those crazy high numbers for Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san (Seriously, it’s selling more than Attack on Titan? Shocked), one can suspect that a second season is a no-brainer. I really enjoyed the manga and the anime, so I hope that can happen.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Is Takagi-san manga selling for 100 yen each or something?
I wouldn't expect a lot of money coming from the middle school boys, and don't see anyone else buying it.

People nostalgic for their middle school days or people that simply like the characters.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
People nostalgic for their middle school days or people that simply like the characters.

Secret plan to get people into dominant oneesan types working as expected, El Psy Congroo Very Happy

Anime adaption of Please don't bully me, Nagatoro when?
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see MHA ranking so high. Dominating some very big sellers. Also Black Clover at 24 is also very satisfying as a fan. Glad its doing well.

Also yea, Takagi-san is very surprising, in a good way of course.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was popular, but it is very impressive to see Slime sitting at 19 without any help of TV or Home media at this point.

I am curious on how it will place after the TV Anime premiers.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Wait we shouldn't have to worry about them getting new seasons? As in you expect them to or don't? Not sure your opinion on these series, but personally I'd love another season of Laid Back Camp.

Yeah... I accidentally a word there. To make matters worse, I somehow thought that was the correct grammar at the time. Evil or Very Mad
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
i don't understand why people consider takagi-san is unpopular, the manga sold at least 700K per volume, even it side story Motto takagi san is around 200K. not to menion anime boost... the number will decline next year tho....
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
I am probably going to jinx myself and some people for saying this someday. I am a Love Live fan and I wish I was a fan of it since its inception. However, I have a feeling that one of these days, Love Live may give in to the competition of idol and mobage franchises and thus may give in to the trends, which it avoided to stand out from the rest of the pack, to gain wider audience and more profit. I certainly do not want Love Live to end up like BanG Dream which has recently abandoned its own identity to obtain more prominence. I hope Love Live sticks to its guns and be what it is until the very end. Also, kudos to both Girls und Panzer and Yuru Camp. It shows that anime that are all about cute girls doing cute can truly succeed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Just for once, I would like to see a manga or LN-based harem (not a reverse or yuri harem) series at the top spot. Then again, those won't have as much merchandise or product diversity as the idol-raising shows.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
Impressive Detective Conan is so high when it excludes the 8.35B Japanese Yen that is has earned so far at the theatres, which would destroy everything else.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Where is Dragon Ball ? Shocked
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Where is Dragon Ball ? Shocked

The Dragon Ball Super manga is a monthly promotional tie-in rather than something meant to sustain interest on its own. Dragon Ball is a children's property, so expensive home video releases don't sell much. The aspects where Dragon Ball is popular (merchandise, television viewership) isn't counted in this chart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2