• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Steins;Gate 0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mops515

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
"omg idk why anyone reads ANN reviews
Their reviews for the last 4 or 5 episodes of SG 0 are all pretty much the same
"I like some of the stuff their doing, but I wish the rest was better. I think this could be a lot better, but I can't give it a bad score yet because I don't feel confident enough in my criticisms of it so I give it a B"
They pulled this same shit with UBW - coasting by on giving every episode a B until they decided it was bad and started giving everything a D
This is why episode reviews on that site especially just don't work. It's like reviewing every chapter in a book one by one. You take baby steps in a story, then over-analyze it to death, you can't tell if it's part of a larger trend or just something that happened in one episode, and just give it a B because you have no idea if things will get better or if you've seen something important
Just wait for the damn series to finish - or review a bunch of episodes at a time"
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Something I'm really growing frustrated with is it seems like they really focused on all the wrong parts of Maho's character. The attraction to Okabe was there in the visual novel certainly, but much more of a focus was on her friendship with Kurisu and feelings of inadequacy compared to her and the anime really just doesn't seem interested in exploring those very much.

Really in general the show kind of seems like it's just choosing odd aspects to focus on and making strange structural choices. I'm still with it for the moment but my patience is kind of starting to wear thin.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I actually really liked this week's episode. Funny I guess given it was pretty much entirely made up for the anime - that whole sequence in the game was super short and really accomplished absolutely nothing.

It probably bugged me more than it should, though, that they forgot Fubuki was namedropped in the first series.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Man, who keeps chopping up the onions around the time I was watching Episode 8? Crying or Very sad That was simply a great episode overall and major props to the staff for very solid execution the whole way through.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
While I don't quite remember all the details from the original anime (especially the sequence for ep 22 that this ep returns to), I do remember the chemistry between Okabe and Kurisu, and dang was it amazing here. James is right, as a "one-off love letter" to the pairing, it was remarkably effective at pulling the heart strings that makes me curious about Okabe's future.

StarchildStorm wrote:
given it was pretty much entirely made up for the anime - that whole sequence in the game was super short and really accomplished absolutely nothing.

Glad to know White Fox brought it's A-game for this episode - paid off in spades.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
So Steins;Gate has outright slayed me before, but this episode...yeah. I will not be ashamed to say that there was a lot of tears this episode. I love Kurisu. And I love Okabe. They deserve to be together, but...yeah I just can't at this point. The amount of tears this show squeezes outta me per week is almost too much...

And can I just mention that Mamoru Miyano is KILLING it once again as Okabe...seriously, the emotion he puts into his voice acting is amazing. <3 him so much.
Crext

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm not crying, YOU'RE CRYING!

*sniff*
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Kurisu is the star of the show. No matter how many girls you want to use to replace her, no matter how miserable you constantly make Okabe, no matter any World Wars and conspiracies you want to make us care about, Stein's Gate was successful and loved because of Kurisu's and Okabe's relationship. The only episode that elicited an emotional reaction from the audience was the episode where they met again.

We're almost midway, but I don't know if this is salvageable anymore. Probably not. It's extremely boring, full of exposition and of things we simply can't bring ourselves to care about. Not to mention the bad (and borderline disrespectful) attempt to replace Kurisu with Mahou.

At this point, I'm hoping that the World War III will actually happen so at least we'll get to see something remotely interesting on screen.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
What was really weird about this episode is how almost all of it came from one of the non-canon endings.

Granted, I was hoping that both the slumber party stuff and the Sergeant Clean segment would make it in so I'm not exactly complaining about that, but it did make the episode pretty inconsequential at a time when it needs to be kicking into gear already.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:

At this point, I'm hoping that the World War III will actually happen so at least we'll get to see something remotely interesting on screen.

You do know this is the time-line where WW3's definitely happening, right?
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this episode... really confused me. I really can't even tell where they're trying to go with this show at this point because this was basically adapting Maho's character ending (though with HEAVY amounts of trimming) more than it was any of the stuff that... Y'know, matters.

Which I guess I should have seen coming, since the Sergeant Clean and sleepover things from the last episode were also from that, but still, it really makes me baffled just what on earth they're doing with the structure of this show.
FG_Scientist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
The anime is so weirdly paced because it's adapting every route into the anime. They adapted events from Promised Rinascimento, Twin Automata, Vega and Altair and Recursive Goose Mother. They even made some events vague in the anime cause there are contradicting events in the different routes, and they're covering those invented plot holes with anime original content and reshuffling events. This is highly likely due to the plot structure of the original game.

spoiler[ The way to Steins;Gate in the 0 game was to send an upgraded D-mail from Promised Rinascimento and start a new playthrough where you receive the message in Vega and Altair, so Steins;Gate needed the work of 2 recovered Okabes basically figuring out how to trick the universe.]
mrahhal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
With every review, I feel like the author is missing the point of 0 more and more. Failing to see the beauty and meaning in episode 12 made things clear. It's not filler, and it sure as hell couldn't have been cut or skipped. Go and search for the meaning of the song's journey, pretty sure you're missing the point of Recursive Mother Goose and the relationship between Mayuri and Kagari completely. Are some people actually mistaking this show for some hot blooded shounen ones, demanding things to go for the war in such a 2 cours show?
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay, yeah, I'm getting pretty tired of this show just fumbling around blindly awkwardly smashing around different parts from different routes together.

I'm hoping once they hit where the big things really start happening that it'll course correct but for the time being I'm just finding the show to be a chore more often than not. There's been some great stuff in this adaptation but right now it just feels like it's stumbling around desperately trying to stall for time.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
If you guys disagree with James, why don't you ... you know, present an argument that his review is wrong and there's some better way to understand the episode?

Just calling him dumb, his review trashy, saying he's wrong and you're obviously right, etc is silly, not to mention self-defeating & rude. If you think you have a compelling perspective on the show, drop the ad hominem nonsense and break the show down for the rest of us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9