• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone Translating and Subtitling Anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamTamago

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
What are today's rates? Is there a go to reference site or standard? Google is not giving up the ghost so to speak so I am at a loss of what is reasonable these days. Asking for a friend.

This is Japanese to English btw.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
There are many companies that are translating and subtitling anime these days. Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Viz, Sentai, among others. Most of their series are also available streaming legally, some requiring fees, some available with free accounts.

If you're talking fansubs, you might want to re-read the rules.
TeamTamago

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
There are many companies that are translating and subtitling anime these days. Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Viz, Sentai, among others. Most of their series are also available streaming legally, some requiring fees, some available with free accounts.

If you're talking fansubs, you might want to re-read the rules.

Hi, Dessa!

No, not fansubs. I am a translator who has been asked to take on some new work translating and subtitling an anime series. Have done lots of translating but this is first time subtitling.

We are currently translators for Kodansha Comics.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
So you're a translator for Kodansha Comics you say? Yet in the first post you claim to be asking for a friend. I also find it highly dubious that any sort of professional translator for a major company would be asking publicly about pay rates on public forums for an anime website. Beyond not being very professional it just does not seem very legit. Even in the rare chance this is on the up and up how would you expect random users here to know these things?
TeamTamago

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The for a friend part was a joke.
The work is not for Kodansha.

I like to get various opinions. So far, the internet offers up only suggestions for company rates. Rates for doing everything from translation to billing. We are only doing translation and SRT. I did find the information elsewhere though.

I asked this board because it is active and there seems to be a fair number of informed and friendly members. There are also a few rude members as well. I guess we cannot have our cake and eat it too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1