• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are there any Asuka and Nara Period Anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunTrip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone, I hope even just one of you would answer my question: There are thousands of Anime out there, but How come there's no Anime that took place in Earlier Ancient Japan, particularly the Asuka and Nara Periods, or the Eras before them, and very few set during the Heian Period (not the Sengoku, Edo, or Meiji, as there are a lot) Did Anime creators thought that Earlier Ancient Japan is Uninteresting or they just thought that Audiences won't be interested?

If you know an Anime taking place during the Asuka and Nara Periods, or the Eras before them, please tell me Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
You might want to check the Historical anime thread for recommendations. Not that there's much around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Rekishika

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:

[...]Adaptions of The Tale of Genji are what come to mind for the Heian period.[...]

Sugii Gisaburô's "Genji Monogatari" film (anime#3270) has just been published on DVD and Blu-Ray in Germany.
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
shosakukan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
In the 80s, Nippon Television broadcast Manga Nihon-shi (Manga History of Japan), and in some early episodes, it dealt with the Yayoi period, the Kofun period, the Asuka period, and the Nara period.
Since it is an educational anime series aimed at children, it may seem to grown-ups who want 'entertainment' to be 'boring' in a sense, however.
SunTrip

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:53 am Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
...Heian period to the present covers about 1000 years of history! The farther back in the past something goes, the more likely that there is less archaeological and historical information in general. I don't know what Japanese history classes generally cover, but I have trouble remembering all the significant events from America's nearly 250 year history...shows before the Heian period may be rather obscure for general Japanese audiences. Creators would have to do lots of research and consult experts while trying to explain everything with historical accuracy and detail.

Maybe the Japanese People are, in my Opinion, more interested about Ancient China, evidenced by Yasuhisa Hara's Successful 'Kingdom' Manga, which had Excellent Sales, Decent Audience, and an Anime Adaption. The Story is set during the Warring States Period of China (476 BC-221 BC), a time much earlier than Kofun, Asuka, and Nara (Japan's equivalent of The Warring States is sometime within the Yayoi Period [900 BC-250 AD]). Hara, a Japanese, managed to Craft a Good Story set during that Early Chinese Dynasty, and the Audiences/Readers liked it, so... I think that the Japanese are more interested about Ancient China than Ancient Japan. I don't have any other samples but I think that the Kingdom sample is enough. This is just my Opinion Smile (Sources are from: Wikipedia).

Thank you for your lists and Opinions about this Question. And to you all, many thanks as well Very Happy
Rekishika

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
[...]Do you know about any anime set before the Heian period Dr. Litten?

Just remembered "Doraemon: Nobita and the Birth of Japan" and its 2016 remake, which are set in Japan 70.000 years ago: anime#1904 and anime#18475.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Rekishika wrote:
horseradish wrote:

[...]Adaptions of The Tale of Genji are what come to mind for the Heian period.[...]

Sugii Gisaburô's "Genji Monogatari" film (anime#3270) has just been published on DVD and Blu-Ray in Germany.

The 2009 adaptation entitled "Genji Monogatari Sennenki" ran on noitaminA but was never licensed in the West. For English speakers, there are only fansubs as far as I know. This adaptation was created as part of the millennial celebration of the novel's publication and was directed by the famed Dezaki Osamu. It's quite beautiful, but a bit slow at times. (It also has one of most discordant OPs I've ever heard, a rock number from Puffy.) Sadly the emphasis on poetry in Murasaki's novel does not carry over to the adaptation.

Kurozuka begins in the Heian period, I believe, but it soon has a time skip to the future. Episode nine of Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai also concerns the Heian period, and Abe no Seimei in particular, in its own screwball fashion. Abe appears in a number of anime though typically not in his historical context.

Though it's more recent than you're asking about, my favorite show from the Sengoku period is Hyouge Mono.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1