• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anyone else find this problem with Yamato 2202? (Spoiler)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traxan

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I've just started to watch, and there's a billion entries so searching isn't easy, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

In the opening episode, you have that Gatlantian super battleship that dispensed maximum ownage on the Gamilas fleet, didn't take one hit, and was tearing toward Earth. Kodai's ship couldn't scratch it. But one turret volley from the Yamato and it was obliterated.

This fails on a few levels. How is the Yamato so damn powerful, and why weren't any of the Earth ships, newer and built since the restoration of Earth, at least as powerful as her? It makes no sense that Earth built this one massively powerful ship and then everything after that was weaker.

Or am I being fussy?
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
You're being fussy.

There are ships stronger than the Yamato in 2202 and you've already seen them if you're complaining about this sequence.

Also that ship was weakened and was destroyed in atmosphere.
Traxan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
What ship is stronger than Yamato? Even Andromeda couldn't stop her.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Traxan wrote:
What ship is stronger than Yamato? Even Andromeda couldn't stop her.

Andromeda could stop her, it just didn't. It's quite literally the replacement for the Yamato as far as military might goes.
Traxan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok fair enough.

But what I've seen so far is a real letdown. The whole Gatlantians just confused the hell out of me, as did the professor's monologue. Maybe I've got bad subs.

One thing I thought was ridiculous was that Gatlantian fleet is 2.5 million ships. I mean, that's just nuts. The resources to build it would be astronomical. I know I'm complaining about realism in a cartoon about a space battleship but it's a pet peeve of mine when sci fi disregards natural resources and construction times. Star Trek was like that, too, building ships faster than Detroit builds a car.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Traxan wrote:
Ok fair enough.

But what I've seen so far is a real letdown. The whole Gatlantians just confused the hell out of me, as did the professor's monologue. Maybe I've got bad subs.

One thing I thought was ridiculous was that Gatlantian fleet is 2.5 million ships. I mean, that's just nuts. The resources to build it would be astronomical. I know I'm complaining about realism in a cartoon about a space battleship but it's a pet peeve of mine when sci fi disregards natural resources and construction times. Star Trek was like that, too, building ships faster than Detroit builds a car.

I guess that you've never seen the Zentradi from Macross and its main fleet of around 4.6 million ships!

They never mentioned just how long those ships have existed. There's nothing that says that the fleet could have been built up over a spread of several decades with resources obtained from however many planets and asteroids Gatalntis has conquered over its journey. 2.5 million ships is about 50 times as many ships that exist in the world at this time (roughly 50,000 just counting merchant ships). I'm pretty sure it would be pretty easy to scrounge up enough resources from only a couple hundred planets to build a space fleet of that size.
Traxan

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
It's funny what sets people off about sci fi when we are accepting impossible realities, like faster than light travel.

Oh, and that Under Armour logo on Yamamoto's neck is the most repulsive product placement I've ever seen.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
The ship got seemingly destroyed after they initiated "Operation A" and the Andromeda shot it with the twin Wave Motion Gun, then it started hurtling towards earth and the Yamato finished the job. At that point it was likely damaged enough that one shock cannon shot could destroy it.

Also they've established time faults being a thing, so Gatlantis having that many ships might not be a farfetched thought.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1