• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you own any untranslated novels?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I had to hold it upside down when I took the picture. For some reason photobucket kept on flipping the image when I uploaded it from my iPad.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah very sorry about that, I wasn't sure why you had it oriented that way. I don't have an iPad or anything like that, so I suppose I wouldn't know too much about those sorts of things.

Speaking of untranslated novels, one of the more challenging pieces of pose that I have tackled was Kiku's Prayer by Endo Shusaku. I suppose that is rather ironic considering we were previously discussing the case of Christians in Japan. Ironically, I was reading the Asian Review of Books last evening, and look what I found:

http://www.asianreviewofbooks.com/new/?ID=1505

Kiku's Prayer has an official English translation. I'm not familiar with the translator, Van C Gessel. Has anyone else heard of that individual? For that matter, does anyone else read Endo Shusaku's novels?
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I'm not familiar with the translator, Van C Gessel. Has anyone else heard of that individual?

Wikipedia has an article about Dr Gessel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_C._Gessel

vashna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thank you very much for sharing that with me hyojodoji. I probably should have done a quick Internet search after reading that issue of the Asian Review of Books. I am surprised to hear that he had such an accomplished career at BYU and the like. It sounds like Dr. Gessel has certainly made a name for himself. I might want to check out his other translations of Endo Shusaku's work.
peachidreami

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I own a lot of untranslated novels (Japanese novels)~ I play otoge, so I generally like to read light novels done after the series I enjoy or romantic series for girls. I tend to follow certain publishing labels. (B's Log, Beans Bunko, Tiara Bunko, 魔法のiらんど, etc) I also love mysteries, and spooky series.

Let me know if there is any interest in what books I have, because I love talking about them! (✾♛‿♛)ノ (but the list is rather long, so I won't bore you~)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I have Kami-sama No Inai Nichiyoubi 1~5!
I love how the author writes.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
For now I have 2 Volumes of Oregairu I bought in Japan. I tried reading them, still way too hard.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
A while back, I made some posts in this thread regarding books that have furigana for all of the kanji, and can thus save people many hours that would otherwise have been spent digging through kanji dictionaries hunting down the readings of words so you can then find them in the regular dictionary.

Here's another source I wish I'd known about years ago: Kodansha's Aoi Tori Bunko (Blue Bird Paperbacks) label.

http://aoitori.kodansha.co.jp/

They publish books for elementary-age readers. The ones I've looked at include furigana for every kanji (except maybe numbers; not sure about those).

In addition to fairy tales, children's classics, and the like, there are some Natsume Soseki classics (with simplified/modernized kanji), Anne of Green Gables in Japanese, some Miyuki Miyabe YA stuff, and Nahoko Uehashi's "Kemono no Sousha" YA fantasy series -- which I highly recommend, since the first two books (which come to 4 books in this edition) absolutely blow away the "Beast Player Erin" anime that was based on them.

Reading aloud is a great way to improve, and books like this make that a lot simpler too.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
A while back, I made some posts in this thread regarding books that have furigana for all of the kanji, and can thus save people many hours that would otherwise have been spent digging through kanji dictionaries hunting down the readings of words so you can then find them in the regular dictionary.

The way your post is worded it sounds like you are still using an old-fashioned kanji dictionary to look up words. If this is true, please let me familiarize you with newer methods of looking up kanji.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
The way your post is worded it sounds like you are still using an old-fashioned kanji dictionary to look up words. If this is true, please let me familiarize you with newer methods of looking up kanji.

I didn't think about how that sounded, actually. I do use an electronic dictionary for the most part these days. It contains more content than I could probably lift if it was all printed out on paper, and has many ways of looking up characters.

For my first few years in Japan, though, I did haul around two paper dictionaries (one for words and one for kanji) pretty much everywhere I went, and definitely put in a lot of extra hours with them early on. I guess memories of that leaked into my post.

Thanks for the offer, though!
See more glass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Maria-sama ga miteru (Maria watches us) is good if you like non-pandering, shojo, not-really-lesbians-because-that-would-ruin-supsense-but-still-pretty-goddamn-gay yuri. Just a warning though, there are LOTS of books, over 30, in fact, so make you set aside some good time to read 'em.
renkayy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
I tried translate some novels from japanese
#teasomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
To be writer and translator is hard. You need to know perfectly foreign languages and grammar. I can say that I have tried translate some short novels and articles from Corean to English. Now I am college student in art college. So, studying is a bit hard especially writing essays, so i prefer to order a custom paper
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I have been seriously considering attempting to import several raw Japanese novel series, but I am having trouble locating them and getting them to ship outside Japan. Also, I can't really justify it unless I can get it translated though because I only speak and read English. Is translation for private reading legal and if so who would I even hire and how much would it cost?

Some things I'd really like to read/continue reading are Alderamin on the Sky (not licenseed here), Moribito (series abandoned after 2 books) and Tokyo Ravens (Another unliscensed one).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, old thread! Anime hyper

But I did add more!

Kami-sama No Inai Nichiyoubi 1-9 (complete)
Hidan no Aria Vol 1
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne 1-3
Satsuriku No Tenshi 1-3 (complete)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4