• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Happy Sugar Life

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
Been reading the manga for this so I knew what to expect.

It's a cute/deceptive anime and is what it is pretty much once you get used to it. I do somewhat like the character chemistry between the main leads so far. Comedy is really cute too.

I wonder how far they will adapt this as the manga is still ongoing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"There are so many questions and so few answers so far, but that's how it should be."

Answers will come later on, assuming the anime covers up to the later/latest chapters.

spoiler[And from the look of things, everything seems to be coming to its critical point as of the recent chapters.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Since they showed so much of Shio on her own in the second episode, including a flashback, I'll be disappointed now if she turns out to be imaginary, since there was no one there to imagine any of that, so that would be unfair misdirection. Ghost I'm still willing to entertain. Something is really not right about her though, and I don't just mean her cheery, accepting personality.

Then again, there's something off about everyone in this. Smile Mitsuboshi acts like he's completely forgotten that Satou left him tied up in the locker at the mercy of his crazy manager.

This is already starting to feel as wtf for wtf's sake as Mayoiga. I hope I'm wrong though.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Mitsuboshi acts like he's completely forgotten that Satou left him tied up in the locker at the mercy of his crazy manager.

Did she, though? We don't actually see her leave him there. She opens the door, talks to him, then there's a closeup of his eye. Then it cuts to the next scene. She could have untied him during that part. I don't know if she would or not, but it's possible that's what happened.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely agree that subtlety would've been a little better. Crazy manager, sure. Teacher also crazy, eh. Mitsuboshi going crazy? That's a little much. Regardless, I'm really invested in Satou's story so this series has me hooked.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:
I absolutely agree that subtlety would've been a little better. Crazy manager, sure. Teacher also crazy, eh. Mitsuboshi going crazy? That's a little much. Regardless, I'm really invested in Satou's story so this series has me hooked.

Mitsuboshi going crazy after getting raped makes the most sense out of them all.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
This series has intrigued me ever since I’ve started reading the manga around the time its’ chapters were first getting translated and Satou, in particular, is a character I’m particularly interested with in more ways than I would have expected. While this show will definitely not please everybody, the way it executes its’ story is something I don’t see a whole lot of in recent memory and part of why I find it fascinating to see develop. I’ll be looking forward to seeing how it executes the answers some folks are asking questions about as a rare reader of the source material. Happy times are ahead.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:

Yeah, everyone basically going "Boy, I sure love rapin'" at the top of their lungs, like James Bond villains telling their plan to anyoone who'll listen is getting ridiculous. Like, it's impossible to take any of these characters serious. Especially Blondey sudden reveal about how he loves little girls because they make him feel so good.

And I love that a pseudo Maid cafe keeps a Convenient Cupboard Crowbar around in case of of ex machina.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Ampharos wrote:

Yeah, everyone basically going "Boy, I sure love rapin'" at the top of their lungs, like James Bond villains telling their plan to anyoone who'll listen is getting ridiculous. Like, it's impossible to take any of these characters serious. Especially Blondey sudden reveal about how he loves little girls because they make him feel so good.

I feel like his reaction to trauma is... entirely possible if we were to approach this from the
"people who are abused may become abusive" angle, which I thought they were going to do when he hated being around older women, but then, wham. They could have done the reveal later and it would have been much more realistic.

Still enjoying the show regardless. Just looking at it from a character writing perspective, you know?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The music is on-point and kudos also go to Kana Hanazawa for some nice voice work in performing the varied shades of Satou.

So on-point, that it literally turned into the Bleach soundtrack for a few seconds near the end of episode 2.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
I literally have no idea who are the heroes and villains in this series.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I am really liking how they are handling the mysterious parts of satou's back story. However I find it ludicrous how much of a psycho creep magnet she is. Like come on. What are the chances of a girl being acquaintained to 3 different predators then what are the chances of being targeted by two of them in the same month?
otagirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I am really liking how they are handling the mysterious parts of satou's back story. However I find it ludicrous how much of a psycho creep magnet she is. Like come on. What are the chances of a girl being acquaintained to 3 different predators then what are the chances of being targeted by two of them in the same month?

1 in 25 people are sociopaths so it's really not that unlucky.
People of the same ilk attract one another maybe
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this show the moment I saw Theron would be doing the summaries. He does a good job and I rather read the tl:dr version than wallow through 23 minutes of what, by production necessity, must be at least 10 episodes of growing nastiness (I figure 1 ep for the baddies getting their comeuppance and 1 for epilogue/next season primer). The two episodes I saw were good as far as setting up a group of interesting characters with possibly interesting story arcs, but I could not see a show that went beyond being nasty for the sake of nastiness. While Shio being anything other than a live girl never occurred to me, neither did the idea that Satou was not the cause of the apartment owners' demise. If she truly is a troubled white knight that stumbles on so much creepiness (finds apt with dead tenants, rescues lost waif, stumbles on creepy manager, creepy teacher, and now creepy coworker), then this show really sucks. I don't think it will, but I saw more avenues for it to go wrong and piss me off for wasting my time watching it than I saw for it to turn out to be an interesting character study of damaged people with an interesting anti-heroine.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I was really happy with episode 3. I kept laughing harder and harder as I realized exactly how messed up Mistuboushi was. It went from kind of creepy to hilarious when I saw he was drooling not crying.

Like Theron, I thought for a minute there that Mistuboushi might not be as messed up as I thought, but that was pretty wrong. It seems like everyone will be mentally screwed up in this series, and now I'm wondering what the deal is with Satou's coworker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6