• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Harukana Receive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Marriage between first cousins is legal in Japan, so a guess this is ok?

Poor Narumi, she didn't the same things that Haruka is doing for Kanata right now, but I guess she wasn't destined to be Kanata star crossed lover...
Mertal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
"Harukana Receive may be trying to manipulate me into thinking there will be more later, but it still has a lot to offer just the way it is now"

Hmmm Cynical much?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While there's nothing groundbreaking about this yuri shipper bait, everyone's reactions (even Grandma and the turtle!) signify this as a momentous scene in their burgeoning relationship.

You are only repeating the error that previously appeared in many forums before, since we were shown the ironic reaction of the characters after Haruka's unintentionally created gay-moment, not after she gave the declaration of love to Kanata. Yes, it's still a gay joke, but such a mixture of accents significantly changes the context of the scene.

Panino Manino wrote:
Marriage between first cousins is legal in Japan, so a guess this is ok?

Poor Narumi, she didn't the same things that Haruka is doing for Kanata right now, but I guess she wasn't destined to be Kanata star crossed lover...

In Japan, there really is no taboo on the relationship between cousins, but we are now talking about alleged lesbian relationships, which is still considered "forbidden love" in such a conservative country as Japan. However, this is not dramatic lesbian romance, so I do not think it will be a problem if they want a real yuri.

Last edited by #HayamiLover on Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving this series so far, and I find it cool learning about new terms in volleyball (I never even knew about pokeys), but oddly I don't see any of the "yuri" vibes people are saying this series has...is it just me? Confused
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
"Harukana Receive may be trying to manipulate me into thinking there will be more later, but it still has a lot to offer just the way it is now"

Hmmm Cynical much?

Rather an attempt to convince oneself that this was really implied to be romantic tension, rather than homoerotic vibes and a lot, a lot of imagination. At least, it immediately seemed to me that all this pathos and loud words look rather insecure in combination with "ironic" mentions of bait and teasing shippers.

Last edited by #HayamiLover on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 pm; edited 5 times in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I'm loving this series so far, and I find it cool learning about new terms in volleyball (I never even knew about pokeys), but oddly I don't see any of the "yuri" vibes people are saying this series has...is it just me? Confused

I also don't see any of this. There's a fair amount of ecchi pandering to hetero dudes, but all of the 'yuri shipping' moments seem like they were played off pretty clearly as jokes. I don't think the show's done anything to setup any lady-on-lady pairings.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

I myself do not understand why yuri shipping in this show caused such a big hype. Yes, this show is not subtle with its homoerotic philosophy, but people are so over-hyped this aspect of the work that this literally become the only topic to discuss this show.

To such a point that some reviews (including ANN) refer to this show as a kind of yuri romance that uses volleyball for its development than volleyball anime that uses near-romantic symbolism to depict relationships in this sport.

Not to mention the fact that I don't understand why we should ignore twincest hints as "it's just fanservice, it will not go anywhere," but at the same time instantly jump onto the HaruKana ship, because "there are a lot of yuri hints".
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if I want to talk about this series, I want to talk about the characters and the whole sports thing, but it seems doing something like that is going to be a challenge nowadays...sigh... I don't know what to say about that (I'm not even really a fan of yuri), whatever happened to liking characters because of their personalities (and I wonder why for some time I was thinking a lot of modern anime, sans anime like this one, sucked?)?? Sad

Whatever fanservice the show has really made me more laugh than think it was ecchi (I just hope that thing with Emily and Claire doesn't go anywhere more than what we saw though, from that I saw of the most recent episode of Chio's School Road, I have a bit of a feeling I'll end up on a list if I watch it again Shocked), I'm not even really a fanservice fan, but can handle stuff like that as long as it doesn't interfere with the plot (doesn't seem to be doing that so far with me), plus who would even ship Haruka and Kanata? They're cousins. Why not just have it so Haruka is a wonderful role model to her younger cousin (or are they the same age?)?

It better not be a case of Rule 43 (the more beautiful, pure, and I'll add innocent and cute something is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt it)... Sad
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I could say something arrogant and defiant like "just modern fans don't need anything in anime other than yuri and fanservice", but this hype is so crazy that it's even pushed openly yuri-ish shows like RevueStarlight (Takaradzuka-inspiration with Utena's vibes from the Ikuhara's apprentice) and Happy Sugar Life (canonical pansexual MC with canonical feelings for another girl) out of the discussions, although the gayness of these shows was a popular topic for jokes before the summer season began.

This is indeed a very strange phenomenon.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a huge problem with the fanservice, but I do think it's distracting when the show is ostensibly trying to show me Kanata battling her volleyball anxiety and Haruka's earnestness / uninhibited spirit / trust & friendship helping Kanata pull through it, but then cuts to an unmotivated ~3 second hover of someone's boobs bouncing around. Kind've takes ya out've the dramatic moment, heh.

I would also prefer to talk about the show's handling of its athletic events and characters. I'm a little unsure how much there is to be said there, though. Haruka and Kanata make a charming pair, and I think their chemistry is largely what makes the show watchable. Watching Haruka pull Kanata out've her shell and push her to trust, overcome her anxieties is pretty great, although (as I said some posts above) I'm beginning to worry that Kanata's anxieties are just a never-ending plot device, and that any demonstrated resolution of them won't 'take'.

Outside've that, though, I'm not sure what else there is. The difference between 'pokeys' (is that an actual volleyball term?) and spikes as attacks is neat but I don't think there's much meat there to dig into, and the show has yet to get into an athletic setting with any athletic stakes.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Outside've that, though, I'm not sure what else there is. The difference between 'pokeys' (is that an actual volleyball term?) and spikes as attacks is neat but I don't think there's much meat there to dig into, and the show has yet to get into an athletic setting with any athletic stakes.

It would appear so. Given the way they are talking about this upcoming tournament, I'm figuring they will be getting to something with more stakes soon enough.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I googled it right after I asked that -- what an odd, if fitting, name.

And I agree; it sounds like we're getting into the 'athletic stakes' part of the show. I didn't mean my observation above to be a criticism of the show, just a note that there's not much in terms of athletic competition to discuss here so far. It's pretty much just the Haruka x Kanata show, with whatever extra mileage you can get out of the blonde foreign duo and the super serious ex-partner/rivals duo.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I hope that they don't do that with Kanata constantly, I'd like to see more of what characters like Ayasa would be like, I'm still giving it a chance to see whether it'll go into an athletic setting, it's only been 3 episodes so far, it could get better as time goes along (it could get worse too though, but we just have to wait and see).
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Not to mention the fact that I don't understand why we should ignore twincest hints as "it's just fanservice, it will not go anywhere," but at the same time instantly jump onto the HaruKana ship, because "there are a lot of yuri hints".

Quote:
This might be a deal-breaker for some considering Haruka and Kanata are cousins, but it's been signposted pretty clearly since episode one. We're getting similar vibes from Emily and Claire, who are literal sisters. If anything, the incestual undertones are a reminder that this isn't going to go anywhere, so don't get your hopes up. Yuri!!! on Ice this ain't.
I'm not seeing a contradiction in the above passage; what it seems like Lauren is saying is that, since the vibes between the cousin pairing and the sibling pairing are similar, neither pairing should be expected to result in canonical yuri romance. It wasn't Lauren who reminded us that "Marriage between first cousins is legal in Japan".

FWIW I didn't even get any "twincest" vibes out of Emily and Claire before I read the review and some of the responses here. It just seemed like light-hearted teasing between twins. A co-worker of mine is married to a man who has a twin sister, and she (the co-worker) says it took a very long time for her to stop getting grossed out by their inside jokes and mutual jabs.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I'm not seeing a contradiction in the above passage; what it seems like Lauren is saying is that, since the vibes between the cousin pairing and the sibling pairing are similar, neither pairing should be expected to result in canonical yuri romance. It wasn't Lauren who reminded us that "Marriage between first cousins is legal in Japan".

FWIW I didn't even get any "twincest" vibes out of Emily and Claire before I read the review and some of the responses here. It just seemed like light-hearted teasing between twins. A co-worker of mine is married to a man who has a twin sister, and she (the co-worker) says it took a very long time for her to stop getting grossed out by their inside jokes and mutual jabs.

I also didn't see the incest vibes between twins, but Lauren is inclined to see yuri hints in any intimate relationship between the girls in this show, so I asked why we should take one ship seriously and other as ordinary jokes and fanservice. Especially after Laura described the relationship as "real friendship" in a much more ship teasy sports anime Free, or herself wrote several times about the bait and the attempt to "manipulate" her in this review. Too many conflicting signals for me.

Sailor Sedna wrote:
Yeah, I hope that they don't do that with Kanata constantly, I'd like to see more of what characters like Ayasa would be like, I'm still giving it a chance to see whether it'll go into an athletic setting, it's only been 3 episodes so far, it could get better as time goes along (it could get worse too though, but we just have to wait and see).

Well, if we rely on the standard approach to adapting anime, then we will get a big breaking emotional moment in 8 or 9 episode, after which the series will culminate in the final "arc". So I think that the tournament should begin just a shortly before these episodes. Of course, this also means more likely that we will get a powerful ship teasy moment in these episodes, but I don't think that it will be given more time than volleyball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6