• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Steins;Gate 0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Bootstrap paradoxes are a huge pet peeve of mine when it comes to time travel stories, so I was not happy to see the show employ one at the end of this week's episode, even though I saw it coming from a mile away. Writers might think that kind of stuff is cute, but an object or even an idea must have an origin, damn it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I like that a causal loop like the one presented in the episode is self-consistent. That doesn't seem to violate the show's view of time travel as leaps between self-consistent attractors, separated by regions of impossible contradiction or more mundane, unstable, low-probability events, and I really like that that view of time travel seems reasonably well considered. Usually sci-fi runs afoul of shoddy reasoning really fast when time travel's in play...

I'm not sure how strongly I feel there needs to be an origin for an event, but I think it would be cool if they could give an origin for the loop but then have them get trapped in it forever after. Not really how they seem to have set this up so far, though (and, thinking about it now, that's a lot less novel, hmm). It might even be cool if they just expressed some ideas on how 'the need for a beginning' operates, if at all, in the S;G universe, though. Their time-travel dynamics are a lot more interesting than the way it is handled in most shows.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Steins Gate 0 visual novel has 5 ending and one true ending. I do not think the anime is going to cover all those alternate ending. That is if the writer is using the visual novel as the source material. I loved the visual novel. I like the anime but it seems that they are packing to much in one episode. Lot of material that explain what going on seems to be left out.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually was quite amused by this week's episode because it was a bit of the slice of life stuff from the first half of the original, plus a nice emotional journey for Kagari. That being said, I haven't (and probably will never) play the game, so I'm coming at this show with fresh eyes.

NeverConvex wrote:
If you guys disagree with James, why don't you ... you know, present an argument that his review is wrong and there's some better way to understand the episode?
Couldn't have said it any better - I may not agree with James' score but his criticisms for the show are apt.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
Awww. I've been enjoying 0 here all the way through. I suppose I'm on board with getting more character moments for Suzuha and Itaru and the rest. I'm not really seeing the problems with camera angles or whatever, which seems to me like digging for more to lay into when the issue pretty simply seems to be the story direction (which I am personally fine with in this case, but I get it).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
As I was watching episode fifteen I laughed at one point because I thought how the scene would strike James. I have to admit that I'm enjoying these past couple of episodes, it seems, because I live in a media bubble and have managed to miss many of the cliches and tropes James mentions, so they are still fresh to me.

The fading photo fake-out was a nice reversal of expectations. The unexpected effectiveness of Maho's training was the surprise (after all, the trope is that not that the doofus' training backfires, but that it paralyzes him as well).

Then again, I didn't think the original Stein's gate was all that (the Kyouma persona really grated on me --- PTSD Rintaro is refreshing in contrast), even after re-watching it in the past month or so. This incarnation just seems more of the same --- no better nor any worse.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
This incarnation just seems more of the same --- no better nor any worse.

This is also my position on this series. I personally quite liked the original, but I didn’t love it. I’ve enjoyed the last few episodes due to the reasons mentioned in the two posts before this one and I find that it seems like James is reaching. So far, 0 seems like a nice complement to the original in more ways than one, so I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes and how exactly it executes its’ material.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
James giving the last few episodes the same ratings as almost every episode of Darling in the Franxx is laughably inconsistent.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
I was really enjoying this show for the first 10 or so episodes. At some point in there I finally got around to reading the SG0 light novel and the further I read into it, the more I started to find the anime adaptation to be rather poor.

The little details they keep changing, along with how they've squished so much of the different endings into one timeline, AND the anime-only scenes have only made this feel poorly planned out.

The most recent episode could barely even hold my attention.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
James giving the last few episodes the same ratings as almost every episode of Darling in the Franxx is laughably inconsistent.

Ratings don't have 1:1 comparisons across shows. A "C" grade episode of Steins;Gate does not succeed and/or fail at the same things as a "C" grade episode of any other show; I'm judging it purely based on its own merits.

In other words, the only thing in common between the "C" episodes of S;G 0 and DARLING in the FRANXX is that I found them to be of rough, poorly executed, and generally disappointing quality.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Had to re-register because for some reason I haven't been able to sign in via Twitter lately.

In either case, yeah. To be honest I've stopped even bothering with the show for the moment. I intend to get back to it at some point I guess but probably just wait for the dub to be finished - at the moment I've just plain stopped following it because I really don't care anymore.
Nico_Astray

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
Wasn't this episode filler anyway. I don't remember this part from the VN, but even overall the anime doesn't do it justice the way the original did.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of glad I was away for the last two weeks so I could binge ep 14 and 15; they were definitely...slow, but back to back the experience wasn't so bad. Ep 16 blows them both out of the water (for me at least), deals with Mayuri more and good ol' PTSD Rintaro. Feels like the show's getting back to propelling our crazed scientist to finding the way to Steins Gate.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
So random question.

Anyone else waiting for Okabe to get brainwashed by a different trigger song than the one the organization used on Kagari?

Ever since brainwashing and Hypnotism was revealed in this series I've been waiting for that shoe to drop since in the very first episode Okabe was undergoing hypnotherapy along with drugs to deal with his depression.

If Okabe hasn't been hypnotised in some way or form I'd be very disappointed.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
The coming episodes will definitely make or break this show. Slipping into territory so over the top that Kagari is doin' double decapitations bare handed like she's the goddamn Wolverine is, uhh, something alright, and I hope that's about as far as they go with that.

I ended up liking the unsurprising villain reveal more than I thought I would, since the framing of "Okabe meets an actual Mad Scientist" is kinda cool.

Hope we get plenty of Mayuri going on adventures coming up and not just "oops gotta save her again".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9