• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Needs 3-4 More Years to Finish Next Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna lie, that 3 to 4 year estimate makes me kind of nervous. Miyazaki isn't exactly getting any younger, and the world is a very cruel place.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:02 am Reply with quote
Back in the 80s Miyazaki could make 4 movies in about 6 years: pre production of Nausicaa began in 1983 and by 1989 Miyazaki had released Nausicaa plus 3 other movies plus writing a lot of the Nausicaa manga.

But well, that was his peak productivity period when he was on his 40s and he could work 80 hours a week every week. Now he is almost 80 and he has a heart condition so he cannot push himself too much.

Anyway, in terms of sheer output I guess nobody beats Shimbo, he directed many shows every year, like 5 shows per year in his peak productivity. But the quality of his work was not that good (except for Madoka all the rest of his work has not been really exceptional). What's impressive is that Miyazaki directed 4 almost perfectly executed masterpieces of anime in 6 years and each of them is very different from the others.

This movie is look good. From the title it looks like to be a self contemplative masterpiece of Miyazaki's last years as a director.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:21 am Reply with quote
How can you not respect this elderly man for doing such work!
Seriously, Miyazaki-sensei can take all the time he wants to finish his, probably, last major work and I won't have, even the tiniest gripe about it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:32 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Seriously, Miyazaki-sensei can take all the time he wants to finish his, probably, last major work and I won't have, even the tiniest gripe about it.
You can do it because you know there is a line between sticking to it until the end, and holding up production because everyone else is waiting on as you crawl along wasting everyone's time.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
I respect Miyazaki's talent, dedication and, well, ambition. I wonder if we'll ever find out the finer details of the production in order to make any judgments about the pace. In either case, I hope he gets as many resources and assistance as necessary in order to guarantee the project can be completed within that time or, who knows, possibly earlier.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
At his age and health, it’s best to take it slow. Should have just retired, but i’m sure this will turn out great as usual, but don’t want what might be his last movie to be the cause of his death.

So take all the time you need.
hergen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

As much as i would like to give him all the time he wants to make this a final masterpiece, there are several limits to it.

First, he is old and nature will not wait forever. It would be really sad for him to die while grieving that he could not finish his last work and someone else is/will butcher it.

There is only a certain budget. Investors will jump off, if financial limits and deadlines are stretched too much. And with him being even older at this point, it will likely be impossible to raise new funds.

And finally, there are other people involved, which need to make a living off their work. With the creative department of Ghibli being disbanded back then, most of them are likely freelancers or borrowed from other Studios, and will leave once their fixed-term contracts end.

Last edited by hergen on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite not officially receiving a green-light for the feature film at the time, Miyazaki decided to start animation work on the project anyway.

Haha, that's Miyazaki.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
You'd think that Takahata's death would maybe make him speed up the timetable just a bit. Guess not. I just hope that he has more than enough of that time left.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, he is only about 77 years though. In 2016, Japanese men that are 75 usually are expected to live like to 12.14 years (https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/database/db-hw/lifetb16/dl/lifetb16-01.pdf), so he is probably going to finish his movie, probably is going to make another one after. Think, by the time Miyazaki finishes this he will be 80-81 he will think: "so what I should do now? I guess we should do another movie."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Well, he is only about 77 years though. In 2016, Japanese men that are 75 usually are expected to live like to 12.14 years (https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/database/db-hw/lifetb16/dl/lifetb16-01.pdf), so he is probably going to finish his movie, probably is going to make another one after. Think, by the time Miyazaki finishes this he will be 80-81 he will think: "so what I should do now? I guess we should do another movie."
Not to sound kind of morbid, but he is a "work till ya die" kind of man. He's constantly in and out of retirement because he has more ideas. He won't stop until he's literally gone. Even on his death bed he'll probably still be trying to draw something.
wccw2399

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Honestly i just hope Miyazaki lives long enough to finish the movie.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Back in the 80s Miyazaki could make 4 movies in about 6 years: pre production of Nausicaa began in 1983 and by 1989 Miyazaki had released Nausicaa plus 3 other movies plus writing a lot of the Nausicaa manga.

more like 3 films, not 4. nasicaa in '84, castle in the sky in '86 and totoro in '88. a hell of an accomplishment in itself.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
Not to sound kind of morbid, but he is a "work till ya die" kind of man. He's constantly in and out of retirement because he has more ideas. He won't stop until he's literally gone. Even on his death bed he'll probably still be trying to draw something.

Lol I'd say you have him pegged. I really admire people like that. In fact, I heard a story exactly like that about another Japanese artist and when the hospital told him to stop and took his things away, he died. I wish I could remember his name. Darn it. Was it Tezuka...maybe?

Anyway all my best wishes and good luck to Hayao. I know he'll blow us away, be the good Lord willing. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1