• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Square Enix Responds to Dragon Quest Composer's 2015 Anti-LGBTQ Statements

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sugita's article called the LGBTQ+ community "unproductive" because they do not have children.

No wonder people are offended, because that is like 100% WRONG!
Aside from adoption, there's also (for a lack of tmi details) "donating" to laboratories.

Just because they can't make kids by themselves doesn't mean they can't have kids at all.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm also disappointed about Sugita's views towards spreading LGBTQ+ as "unproductive", the main factors on why she respond this to the sexual minorities in Japan is that Japan has a low birth rate issues, which is why she responded to this way.

I don't know why would she spread and make LGBTQ+ Japanese industries angry about her views, my country, Serbia, also support LGBTQ+, but they meet the face of resistance and back in violence towards them, this has happended back in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade_anti-gay_riot

(sorry for my poor English)
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Should be worth noting that Sugiyama does not work for SE. He's company is partner with them or rather has been with Enix side since 1987 and he owns all the music. The license of DQ is really complicate and is one of the few areas where creators how more power over the franchise than company itself.

In fact Sugiyama is really big in Japan and copyright and influence a vast number of media and music. This page should give an idea of how far reaching he is:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Society_for_Rights_of_Authors,_Composers_and_Publishers

It's very difficult to drop someone like that beyond waiting until he retires or is dead.

Last edited by Iron Maw on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, shame on ANN for trying to be a news group and have SE(a worldwide corporation) comment on a individual's ,who they have deep ties, with comments. What trolls. (sarcasm)
And yes SE has a large multicultural stuff because as a corporation you know they have offices all over the world. Or do you not know how corparations work? Also yes the Japanese side has plenty of multi-national employees. Plenty of FFXVI's staff was not Japanese. From the programmers to the art team.

It's really disgusting how some idiot fans use Japan as some safe heaven of what they accuse to be "anti-PC thought" or whatever. As if Japan is'nt some complex nation that dosen't deal with these issues themselves, but instead a place that pander's to these pretty disgusting viewpoints.

{Edit}: The post you originally quoted was removed. I added the "sarcasm" bit to your post so it was clear you were being sarcastic without the quoted post to add that context. ~ Psycho 101
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Dude's gotten so senile I'm willing to accept a soundtrack for DQ by anyone else. I knew about his war denial hogwash before (thanks, No More Whoppers!) and this is the icing on the trash cake.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Lots of edgy teens in this thread.

Laying out some facts:

1) Koichi Sugiyama is a horrible human being. He actively denies war crimes, going so far as to Take out a full page ad in the Washington Post solely to try and deny it harder. Japan's got a serious problem with the old guard and historical negationists, refusing to believe their country could ever do anything wrong, and denying the horrible suffering and actions of their people.

2) He owns the full rights to the DQ music. To this end, he gets money from ticket sales to Concerts of it, which is why as mentioned earlier, he'll turn in low quality soundtracks where he can, soley to drive concert ticket sales, where he gets more money.

3) Freedom of Speech means the government can't punish or imprison you for saying what you want to say. It does not mean Freedom from Consequences, and it also doesn't mean jack shit when it comes to a corporation. If a store wants to say "You can't wear a blue shirt in here", that's not a violation of freedom of speech. You're free to change your shirt, or go elsewhere, or raise awareness and apply pressure on them externally to have them change this policy. Sugiyama's free to spout his god awful opinions, hurtful rhetoric, and all around terrible things, and everyone else is free to chastise him for it, ask Square-Enix to punish him financially for it, and also refuse to engage in actions that he'd profit from, because of it.

Koichi Sugiyama actively works to make the world a worse place for people in it. He is a bad person, and if he wants to spout his awful ideas, he should be prepared to be punished for it. It is a good thing that ANN is making more people aware of it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I assume they meant their western branch, I'm not sure how the actual Japanese company has a 'multicultural staff of various beliefs' because I'm sure none of them work on the Japanese side of their games Laughing )

The statement comes from Square Enix's head branch, not just its Western branch. If it was only attributable to Square Enix U.S. or Square Enix Europe, I'd have designated it as such.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
Quote:
When asked, Square Enix declined to say whether or not it will continue its relationship with Sugiyama for future Dragon Quest installments.

I would hope that internet outrage culture wouldn't deny him work in the twilight years of his life. No matter what one may think of his views, he has not directly harmed anyone with his opinions and is still one of Japan's greatest composers.

Nope.

Honestly, if he was just laughing at gay people committing suicide on his own time, it would still be abhorrent enough that people should be calling for him to not work again. It is absolutely directly harmful to people to be normalizing that, and the same goes for the statements on the program about whether or not it is actual discrimination to treat gay people badly.

But that’s not all this guy does. He’s directly funded and campaigned in favor of revisionism of war crimes. He helped pay to try to get an ad in the New York Times denying a war crime happened. He is not just some random celebrity saying something horrendous; he actively works towards these things and throws his money in support for them.

To be absolutely clear: he is a bad person who has put money and effort towards making the world a worse place.

Arale Kurashiki wrote:
InimitableUman wrote:
Does he even still make music for the games, or do they just reuse his famous themes? The historical revisionism is effed up, this is just the icing on the cake. Square should lose this fool. No need to be concerned for his well-being, no doubt he's got enough saved for the rest of his life.

He does still make the music. He also (according to a big DQ fan I follow) makes the orchestral versions of his soundtracks only available in Japan, with foreign releases of the games using lesser versions, for no reason. There's quite a few reasons to let him go at this point.

The Japanese release also uses the MIDI soundtrack in the case of 11.

One could even say he funds his horrible campaigns by making people pay for the better versions of his soundtracks, so I see little reason for even those who are grossly apathetic to what he does and only care about the games to think positively of him.

This is why btw I can't separate views from work because I know they will use the money I give them for hateful purposes
Do you really think Orson Scott Card isn't donating to say Family Research Council
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
I assume they meant their western branch, I'm not sure how the actual Japanese company has a 'multicultural staff of various beliefs' because I'm sure none of them work on the Japanese side of their games Laughing )

The statement comes from Square Enix's head branch, not just its Western branch. If it was only attributable to Square Enix U.S. or Square Enix Europe, I'd have designated it as such.

We do have both Japanese diaspora living and working on Square Enix in either US and UK, after all. But the main headquaters in Square Enix in Japan, it is heavliy populated by the enthically Japanese, since Japan's population is almost homogeneous (with the execption of Ainu, Ryukuyan and Hafus).

Last edited by Aca Vuksa on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

Sugiyama's free to spout his god awful opinions, hurtful rhetoric, and all around terrible things, and everyone else is free to chastise him for it, ask Square-Enix to punish him financially for it, and also refuse to engage in actions that he'd profit from, because of it.

They can't really financially punish him either, any kind of direct action against is just comeback them much harder because of the legalese and how much of cultural icon he is to DQ. However what I think would be a good move here is if that SE could donate a portion of the profits of any DQXI or any future DQ game Sugiyama happens to be involved in to LGBTQ+ causes in Japan. It would be a nice kick in the face to him. Probably have to be sneaky about it though.

Last edited by Iron Maw on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
KORinRUSSIA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Lyrai wrote:

Sugiyama's free to spout his god awful opinions, hurtful rhetoric, and all around terrible things, and everyone else is free to chastise him for it, ask Square-Enix to punish him financially for it, and also refuse to engage in actions that he'd profit from, because of it.

They can't really financially punish him either, any kind of direct action against is just comeback them much harder because of the legalese and how much of cultural icon he is to DQ. However what I think would be a good move here is if that SE could donate a portion of the profits of any DQXI or any future DQ game Sugiyama happens to be involved in to LGBTQ+ causes in Japan. It would be a nice kick in the face to him

What if SE just dont want to? It was for long his values are known and SE just can't make plain face saying they did not or don't care. Some businesses are pro right, some openly, some not.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:

We do have both Japanese diaspora living and working on Square Enix in either US and UK, after all. But the main headquaters in Square Enix in Japan, it is heavliy populated by the enthically Japanese, since Japan's population is almost homogeneous (with the execption of Ainu, Ryukuyan and Hafus).

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough initially. The comment itself comes from Square Enix's head branch. I personally have no idea of the ethnic or racial make-up of all the employees working solely within the branch located in Japan, or whether the statement is meant to take into account all the Square Enix employees worldwide.

What I can tell you is the statement came from and was approved by the company office in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm gay. I'm Black. I love Dragon Quest. I love Dragon Quest music. Nothing either of these two individuals say will ever change that. But I'm also living proof that they're both full of shit.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
The irony about this whole thing is there actually a gay character among the main cast in the game itself. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
So pretty much half the discussion is now gone including lots of ignorant troll posts, OT nonsense, and responses to those posts that were subsequently pointless with the quoted posts removed. This thread is going to be watched closely. There will be no warnings save this one. Posts will simply be removed and warnings sent via PM's The new rules made it clear this sort of nonsense won't be tolerated any longer. If someone makes a troll or OT post then please just report it. Do not engage those people and make matters worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3