• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I've read Asano's masterwork, Goodnight Punpun which I admit that I did not enjoy much, not because it was bad but just very depressing in a way that the medium often isn't. (And I know that's rather the point.) This sounds more to my taste with friendship and love balancing out tragedy and apathy to keep it from being unrelenting. I'll definitely take a look at Dx5.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I've read Asano's masterwork, Goodnight Punpun which I admit that I did not enjoy much, not because it was bad but just very depressing in a way that the medium often isn't. (And I know that's rather the point.) This sounds more to my taste with friendship and love balancing out tragedy and apathy to keep it from being unrelenting. I'll definitely take a look at Dx5.

I enjoyed this work far, far more than Punpun, pretty much for the reasons you state.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
@Zeino, What, you are claiming that there aren't many depressing manga? Clearly you haven't read much. Just take a look at Saikano or Nausicaa, or pretty much every serious manga.

I enjoyed all manga by Inio Asano that I read however none of his works have really hit on me as strongly as they have on his fans. So far my favorite experience with Inio Asano has been A Girl at the Shore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Netero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Thinking that the world may not exist in thirty years time is hardly the preserve of today's young, I can still remember the Cuban missile crisis.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
@Zeino, What, you are claiming that there aren't many depressing manga? Clearly you haven't read much. Just take a look at Saikano or Nausicaa, or pretty much every serious manga.

Nausicaa the manga is bittersweet at worst and it's very presumptuous to assume what I have or have not read. What makes Punpun depressing in a way that say Berserk or Grave of the Fireflies isn't is because we either have been at some point or know some one who was like Punpun in our lives and that hits very close to home.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Personally, the funniest part of the first volume and the testament of the tone and goals of the series is when the two girls in front of the alien ship the first time we as an audience see it, and the absurd title tries to take your attention by being huge and bombastic with huge double pages, while the two girls are just saying stupid shit over it, with that deadpan attitude.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I saw this on an episode of Manben. I didn't know it was in English. I gotta check it out!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I read the first and half of the second volumes of this series and quit. I couldn't find any point to the series. Obviously others disagree. No matter, that is as far as I could handle.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

I found Punpun felt like a combination of ordinariness and suffocating despair, and with an author as skilled as Asano, it's a really difficult story to follow. DeDeDe feels a lot more balanced, it has this darker malaise hovering overhead, but it doesn't affect its sense of 'ordinary' in quite the same way. I haven't even been able to finish the first volume of Punpun, but I've thoroughly enjoyed both translated volumes of DeDeDe. If I were to sum up my experience with the two, DeDeDe feels less about despair and more about just living.
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
From what I've seen of it so far, the dialogue seems really... wonky? It reads like what a late 20s/early 30-something person thinks kids today sound like, when their only experience with kids are edgy online message boards.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Thinking that the world may not exist in thirty years time is hardly the preserve of today's young, I can still remember the Cuban missile crisis.

Yeah, all I could think when reading that point was "chill out, Fallout Boy." Even the economic stagnation mentioned as a unique issue is dwarfed by several twentieth century panics (one similarly-timed series of which resulted in our current monetary banking system).

We are in a period of unprecedented stability, with no war or warfare outside a narrow ribbon running from Northern Nigeria to the Korean Peninsula. Similarly, disease and pollution (remember, there are pollutants besides CO2, with the rediation we unleashed on the Navajo being a good example) are controlled to an unprecedented degree. Crime and terrorism has become negligible compared to that seen in the '70's, when predictions like those in Escape from New York were seen as credible. It was only nine years between the JFK assassination and Watergate.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I started reading Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction without great expectations and I was so pleasantly surprised by it, truly a masterpiece of manga (I would already include it in my top 10 even though it hasn't finished yet). I liked it because these characters were really great: Ouran is amazing and one of the greatest manga characters of all time but the side characters are also all great as well.

Zeino wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

Nausicaa the manga is bittersweet at worst and it's very presumptuous to assume what I have or have not read. What makes Punpun depressing in a way that say Berserk or Grave of the Fireflies isn't is because we either have been at some point or know some one who was like Punpun in our lives and that hits very close to home.

I felt quite crushed when I finished Nausicaa, truly an extremely grim work. While with Punpun it felt like it was trying too hard and felt artificial to me, I didn't identify with it though I might try finishing Punpun later since I am in love with Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1