• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Harukana Receive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
@vonPeterhof/#HayamiLover

I didn't see it as "twincest" either, but after reading some of comments on Crunchyroll (the comments there tend to be a cesspit at times Anime hyper) that's when I got concerned (and usually with reviews I tend to take them with a grain of salt)...

I'm guessing we're going to get a tournament arc in this anime, similar to DBZ, though it'll be volleyball rather than fighting.
Wtv

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Not really want to discuss it. I'll just point out the author has made yuri art in their past:
http://yuriimg.com/artist/875549.html

But it seems like people will ignore the author's intention if it doesn't fit what they want, so whatever.
Yuri here is pretty much and clearly intentional. But it's a MTK show, so don't expect explicit romance.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I see. Well whatever yuri stuff is there hasn't detracted from the plot of the show.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
Not really want to discuss it. I'll just point out the author has made yuri art in their past:
http://yuriimg.com/artist/875549.html

But it seems like people will ignore the author's intention if it doesn't fit what they want, so whatever.
Yuri here is pretty much and clearly intentional. But it's a MTK show, so don't expect explicit romance.

I could point out that many mangakas began their careers with yuri or yaoi doujinshi, especially when it comes to Manga Time Kirara. But the problem is not this.

No one here denied that the yuri subtext here is intentional and that the show is not subtle with its metaphors and romantic comparisons. The problem is that people highly overestimate this element and because of this ignore any other elements in the work.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the new episode. Kanata seems to have found new purpose and, romantic or not, I do like how their relationship moved forward: Kanata is more out of her shell and Haruka is still fired up but a bit insecure if she can be a support to Kanata, which Kanata breaks her out of.

I also like that there are no evil rivals, everyone's on good terms with one another and supportive.

I think that's what I like the most, this is a real, feel good show that still has some solid if not indepth sports action, some nice animation, likable charaters, nice music and a setting that lets me feel like I'm on a beach vacation, despite not having the cash or time to actually take one
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:06 am Reply with quote
Finally saw episode 4. I don't understand how it was rated lower than episodes 2 and 3, this was the funniest one yet, the jokes were hilarious, I liked the slapstick, and Ai and Mai (love how their names rhyme Laughing) look like they're going to be interesting characters, and the ending showed how the relationship/friendship with Haruka and Kanata was growing stronger. Next episode is a tournament, and I can't wait! Very Happy

May be just me, but when I saw this, I saw the whole "earnest declaration of love" as more of Haruka not realizing that pattern could mean it in that way, and her not really being the brightest bulb on the porch...
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Personally, for me, Harukana feels every bit as dramatic as Hanebado, with characters on constant crisis for somewhat trivial matters.
It's clear for me that the game don't really matter (and the animation is slow and boring).
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
May be just me, but when I saw this, I saw the whole "earnest declaration of love" as more of Haruka not realizing that pattern could mean it in that way, and her not really being the brightest bulb on the porch...

I also think so, especially if we take into account Haruka's carefree personality and that only word "ai" (love in general) was used in this scene, non koi (romantic love and sexual attraction). At the same time, this word denotes any love, not only a platonic feeling and Haruka's manga version is still admires Kanata in a rather ambiguous manner, so anyone can interpret it as they want.

Honestly, given all these blatant metaphors, none of the subplot's endings will be a surprise for me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to say the background music during the volleyball match in episode 5 was freakin' awesome; it definitely pumps you up full of excitement. Though is it just me, or the match itself felt draggy despite the music pumping? It probably has to be the constant slow-mo shots they keep doing.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
It did drag a little

I really liked this episode and I think I know Kanta's strategy: they've brought up multiple times that AI and Mai are indoor players and at the end kanata and Haruka seem to still have their stamina while AI and Mai are sweating and breathing a little harder: I think she's using the pokeys to slow the game down, which makes the sun take its toll on Ai and Mai while also letting Haruka get more practice on her block timing.

Which means the title has a second meaning. While "until you break" is a quote from their opponents, Kanata is the one breaking down by wearing their stamina down.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
It really saddens me how unmentioned the real top tier element of this show goes: the sound design. From the slight reverb when characters are talking in a gymnasium opposed to outdoors to the stereo panning of the lifted sand when the girls sprint in a game and the really delicate delay of secondary sounds when the ball is being served from the opposing side of the court the camera is in. Really, the sound engineer of this show is giving it some good care.

On another note. I don't know how loyal the character design is to the manga but I gotta give mad props to the anime for giving the girls body shapes in line with the sport they are actually playing. This can be easily appreciated in the calf muscles for instance, usually in anime a sexy female body is depicted having slim legs with a single curve going from the upper knee to the angle, dividing the leg in two notable curves focusing in showcasing an attractive soleus. Nonetheless the soleus is a muscle with predominant red fiber which means it is used mainly to sustain heavy invariable burdens such as when standing still, that doesn't sound like volleyball, right? When doing a large amount of knee flexing such as when jogging and jumping we use instead the gastrocnemius which has mainly white fiber also resulting in more defined muscles that some people deem unfeminine, on active runners this result in two ball like shapes forming in the calf instead of one but when athletes aren't quite there and specially women this visually results in the widest part of the calf curve being pushed higher making the legs look as divided in 3 main curves instead of the aforementioned 2. If you pay attention that's how most girls in harukana look like. In fact it seems to me as if haruka in particular started the series with an undeveloped gastrocnemius and is slightly getting her upper calf wider each episode. I welcome it since that pleases my sense of aesthetics, but I just thought I should bring it up since it seems no one is noticing the more refined aspects of this series' fan service
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

I also think so, especially if we take into account Haruka's carefree personality and that only word "ai" (love in general) was used in this scene, non koi (romantic love and sexual attraction). At the same time, this word denotes any love, not only a platonic feeling and Haruka's manga version is still admires Kanata in a rather ambiguous manner, so anyone can interpret it as they want.

Honestly, given all these blatant metaphors, none of the subplot's endings will be a surprise for me.

When in doubt, SHIP!
As hard as you can.

MiloTheFirst wrote:
It really saddens me how unmentioned the real top tier element of this show goes: the sound design. From the slight reverb when characters are talking in a gymnasium opposed to outdoors to the stereo panning of the lifted sand when the girls sprint in a game and the really delicate delay of secondary sounds when the ball is being served from the opposing side of the court the camera is in. Really, the sound engineer of this show is giving it some good care.

Really? For me is just ok, they're doing their job and nothing more.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
surely the stuff I mentioned is just part of what it should be expected of a proffesional production. however, the key is not on wether they are doing their job or not but how good they are at it. I don't want to be that cliche audio guy telling you to buy better gear but using at least closed case over ear headphone really does make a difference. that is of course asuming the person in question has a taste for enjoying sound effects to begin with
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
surely the stuff I mentioned is just part of what it should be expected of a proffesional production. however, the key is not on wether they are doing their job or not but how good they are at it. I don't want to be that cliche audio guy telling you to buy better gear but using at least closed case over ear headphone really does make a difference. that is of course asuming the person in question has a taste for enjoying sound effects to begin with

It's just that I'm watching alongside with Hanebado, which has superior audio.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, the music in this week's episode continues to be freakin' awesome. And I have to say, this half of the volleyball match felt a lot better paced than last week's. I wonder if it would have been better if the match wasn't split between 2 episodes. But then again we won't have gotten the really solid aftermath moments in the later half of this episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6