• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One-Punch Man Anime Season 2 Unveils Teaser, Jam Project's Return, April Premiere

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Still not sold yet, gonna have to see it in action. They got Jam Project back, so that's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
juusee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
Good to know that it's not coming out in 2020 according to some sources. The visual doesn't seem to be giving off the same vibe as those from season 1, maybe it's been so long since I actually watched it.
NieR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
It would be amazing if Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man were both split cour. 2019 could be a year of back to back One series. Very much looking forward to watching Mob Psycho 100 in January and OPM in April.
minidynz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
Wow! I'm so excited with this. Glad to hear this news. Hopefully, this second season has 25 episodes not only 12 episodes.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
People keep asking for a 2 course season but I don't think that's possible currently, because I don't think there's enough manga material. There is enough web comic material but the manga is changed and revised in certain ways from what I know, plus a lot of season 1 has side by side comparisons with the manga, so I feel like they would specifically want manga material to adapt. The fights in the manga that the second season is covering are absolutely gorgeous and very well drawn, so they make for a great base for the anime to adapt.

Also we don't know how much of a budget season 2 has, we don't know how the new staff and studio will effect the anime's quality and so fourth. So if anything I'd hope for 12 episodes that are very well animated and take full advantage of their budget, then another season down the road if all goes well.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
This series is Director with contacts vs love of animators for the work. Chikashi Kubota can prove to be right or embarrassed by what he said, that the work in the first season was the result of the animators' love of the work, not the director's ties to competent and talented artists.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
I hope this is something we can look back on in years to come, without even mentioning that season 2 was done by a different team. Rather than talking about it the same way we do for Psycho-Pass 2.
One thing that has me worried about J.C Staff, is the background art, the ones in Food Wars! are awful. Some of them just look like pre-rendered 3D models. That part of the studio has gone downhill really badly since Shichiro Kobayashi retired.

@HoboSoup I forgot where I read it, but I remember the director saying the shows budget was no higher than the standard. The animation was great because the staff were really passionate about the show.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
I’m concerned about the actual animation in general. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they can get a fraction of the skilled staff they were able to utilize for the first season. J.C. Staff is not a studio I associate with fluid animation or consistentcy. However I am aware that many studios are comprised of freelancers so we just have to hope they were able to pull some talent. The amount of time they have and the level of passion are immensely important factors.

Last edited by Ajc228 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
Ronie Peter wrote:
This series is Director with contacts vs love of animators for the work. Chikashi Kubota can prove to be right or embarrassed by what he said, that the work in the first season was the result of the animators' love of the work, not the director's ties to competent and talented artists.

I think it was both. Certainly the passion for the work was important, but these were also very talented people the first season’s director had connections with, and unless this season can bring animators of that level, that passion won’t be as well realized as with the first season, at least not at the same level. I’m hoping I’ll be surprised, but I’m not setting my expectations as high in that regard.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Also hoping that season 2 is well done and that it is able to recapture at least some of the visual highlights of the first season.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@HoboSoup I forgot where I read it, but I remember the director saying the shows budget was no higher than the standard. The animation was great because the staff were really passionate about the show.

Ah I remember also hearing that and it makes sense. Still I'd think on average a 12 season might be better budgeted and animated? However I could be wrong. Regardless I just hope the second season looks good.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
At least the disappointment of waiting until 2019 is mitigated by having JAM Project back. I always like their songs.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
OPM is probably the only shounen action series besides FMA I give a damn about. Looking forward to the new season.
Enturax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Surely Jam Project is a good news (as long as they don't do a fookin emotional/slow song, ffs *AoT flashbacks*) but that's 2 years of extra waiting since we were teased by Yusuke Murata's hopes that the new season is going to be released in 2017. So I hope the season is going to be at least as good as the previous one, regardless of who is working on this.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Have to wonder if that 2020 rumour was an attempt to find the source of these leaks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2