• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Harukana Receive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And I have to say, this half of the volleyball match felt a lot better paced than last week's. I wonder if it would have been better if the match wasn't split between 2 episodes.

You think?
It still bother me how slow the game is. For me there's an excess of slow motion, there's no impact and emotion.
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Do people really see yuri in this show? I mean, yeah Kanata and Haruka are close and all, but I do not feel any yuri material on their relationship. They are just cute cousins in my eyes. I mean, I'm a girl and I can relate some stuff of my relationship with my female cousins but oh well, yuri fans will take even the smallest interactions as yuri (like yaoi fans lol)

In relation to the show itself, yeah it happened what I fear, Haruka kinda got an OP improvement, however, even if we didn't see it, she clearly train a lot with the twins (I do not remember if they mentioned how much time) and their opponents are used to play in a gym, so at least, they got opponents that they could have a serious match according to their level as a pair (considering that Kanata is almost a pro and Haruka a newbie)
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
Zzshcl wrote:
Do people really see yuri in this show? I mean, yeah Kanata and Haruka are close and all, but I do not feel any yuri material on their relationship. They are just cute cousins in my eyes. I mean, I'm a girl and I can relate some stuff of my relationship with my female cousins but oh well, yuri fans will take even the smallest interactions as yuri (like yaoi fans lol)

I had been staying out of that discusion because i wasn't particularly interested but it amazes me how much people seemes to keep debatig over it. so, might aswell share my perspective. to me, it is clear the shows is offering a fair amount of yuri bait, this is different to yuri, the show is not interested in seriously developing any kind of lesbic relationship seriously, it is just handing out some doses of pseudo homo erotic tension every so often because just as you said most yuri fans would still gladly take it. there is nothing wrong with that just an anime doing what it can to appeal to its intended audience, what I find more interesting is the fact that such intended audience seems quite broad since it is clearly playing for both teams, there is also a fair share of fanservice tailored for straight men. while I don't particularly care for yuri I don't mind it and I am really digging the fanservice through camera framing of flexed muscles this show is presenting so you won't hear me complain. while on episode 2 kanata was clearly entranced by haruka's hot body, I honestly think they are by far the less romantic pair in this series, their relationship seems very pure, i don't see any mutual sexual atraction in there, in contrast to the blonde sisters who so far have keep geting gratuitously grabby with eachother or the champion pair who makes sure to exchange at least one flirtatious look every time they appear on scene.

Zzshcl wrote:
In relation to the show itself, yeah it happened what I fear, Haruka kinda got an OP improvement, however, even if we didn't see it, she clearly train a lot with the twins (I do not remember if they mentioned how much time) and their opponents are used to play in a gym, so at least, they got opponents that they could have a serious match according to their level as a pair (considering that Kanata is almost a pro and Haruka a newbie)

how exactly did Haruka get an spontaneous power up? I wouldn't call succesfully blocking one ball out of close to 40 points as becoming OP. also lets remember that while Haruka is new to Beach Vollley she was allegedly used to practicing sports in general
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:30 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Zzshcl wrote:

I had been staying out of that discusion because i wasn't particularly interested but it amazes me how much people seemes to keep debatig over it. so, might aswell share my perspective. to me, it is clear the shows is offering a fair amount of yuri bait, this is different to yuri, the show is not interested in seriously developing any kind of lesbic relationship seriously, it is just handing out some doses of pseudo homo erotic tension every so often because just as you said most yuri fans would still gladly take it. there is nothing wrong with that just an anime doing what it can to appeal to its intended audience, what I find more interesting is the fact that such intended audience seems quite broad since it is clearly playing for both teams, there is also a fair share of fanservice tailored for straight men. while I don't particularly care for yuri I don't mind it and I am really digging the fanservice through camera framing of flexed muscles this show is presenting so you won't hear me complain. while on episode 2 kanata was clearly entranced by haruka's hot body, I honestly think they are by far the less romantic pair in this series, their relationship seems very pure, i don't see any mutual sexual atraction in there, in contrast to the blonde sisters who so far have keep geting gratuitously grabby with eachother or the champion pair who makes sure to exchange at least one flirtatious look every time they appear on scenel

This is a sports title about beach volleyball from Manga Time Kirara, so they have many reasons for adding yuri bait to this show. And in this there is nothing wrong, people have the right to ship whatever ships they want.

But personally I am already beginning to worry that some people tend to see any emotions or chemistry between two girls (or guys) as gay. However, perhaps the culture's difference also plays the own role, because in my country as well as in Japan it is considered normal if two girls are quite close to each other.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Zzshcl wrote:

Probably there's no "true" yuri here, but the baits were extremely obvious and shameless.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Zzshcl wrote:

Probably there's no "true" yuri here, but the baits were extremely obvious and shameless.

It's still Manga Time Kirara, so qeerbaiting is the usual thing for its adaptations. Although before it seemed to me that Forward avoids too much abuse of this. Well, now I'm even wondering how many bait or real yuri will be in the upcoming Anima Yell.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 was fantastic, though it was pretty clear even in episode 5 that Kanata's strategy was to wear down the indoor players who were not accustomed to playing on sand and in the wind. At first, I wondered why she continued to use pokies when Ai stopped blocking at the net and she could have used normal spikes, but then I realized that Mai, as a libero, would be likely to pick up her weak spikes. So her strategy was sound. Wear down the libero until SHE broke and give Haruka time to get her timing down on blocking so she could contribute on that end.

As for the debate about whether the perceived yuri bait is real yuri or just yuri goggles, I can't really say for sure about Haruka and Kanata, though just because they are cousins certainly doesn't exclude them from being a potential couple in Japan. First cousins can marry in Japan if they are opposite sex of course since same-sex marriage is not legal there anyway... But that doesn't suggest that their relationship as cousins would be an impediment to a relationship if their gender were not.

As for whether it is the case in the story... well, let's look at the manga... There are a few Seven Seas published the first volume, which I just picked up... (I had read some old fan translations, but since it's been published...). They get through "A Point is a Point" basically. In the manga, I would say that it is very clear that Ayasa is definitely gay and definitely in a relationship with Narumi. If anything it is MORE obvious in the manga than the anime. I feel the anime screenwriter toned her down a bit. spoiler[For instance, after commenting on how nice Haruka's butt is and that she must be popular with the guys, she comments on how bold Haruka is for wearing her newly tightened bikini bottoms. Haruka asks "What about Narumi-san's? I don't see you giving her this kind of treatment..." Then Ayasa says that is because she "decided on that" and continues on saying "Since she's in a swimsuit, might as well show it off right? The one in charge of Narumi's muscles and but is me. That's why I know this one is nice too!!" and then proceeds to chase after Haruka like a pervert.]

Also, in that section of the manga, Haruka is gushing over how Kanata looks in her suit and comments that "My ideal girl is right in front of my eyes..." *pant pant* That certainly hints that Haruka may at least swing that direction.

There are also small things, like Kanata thinking "She has such long legs" as Haruka walks away from her and things like that. In both the manga and the way Kanata has been animated, she has been consistently shown as looking... rather longingly... at Haruka... complete with blushing. Not to mention the whole comment about how cute her butt is!

So, in short, I'm pretty sure the yuri is there in the source material.

EDIT: Having read the Seven Seas translation now, it looks like the scene in spoilers above was translated slightly differently. Instead of: spoiler["Since she's in a swimsuit, might as well show it off right? The one in charge of Narumi's muscles and but is me. That's why I know this one is nice too!!"] the Seven Seas translation says: spoiler["I mean if you've got it, flaunt it, right? Narumi's got nice guns and a tight butt.. while I've got these." *Pointing to her own chest*]

That a slightly different interpretation... Not quite as flamboyant, but it still makes the claim that Ayasa is choosing Narumi's suit for her.

Last edited by zensunni on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

Oh, I already mentioned this scene when I said that the manga is more blatant in gay-jokes, especially when it comes to Haruka. But the problem is that this never goes beyond random jokes and easy teasing between the characters. A separate conversation is the manner in which Haruka likes to admire Kanata in the manga, for example telling her that "I love volleyball, because thanks to it I can spend more time with you", but it never gets development and also stays on the verge of jokes.

Of course, you can think that the girl are gay is only because she is close to her best friend and has a playful personality or a girl "definitely" a gay if she thinks another girl is beautiful, but for me personally this is just the wishful thinking. Not to mention the fact that the misunderstanding in the butt's scene was based on the fact that Kanata initially thought that Haruka had asked her to appreciate the beauty of her ass.

So, this is purely my subjective opinion and I would not be surprised if in the future anime or manga will go beyond jokes and fanservice, but for now personally for me it is nothing more than bait and standard homoerotic subtext for a more intimate depiction of friendship between characters.

P.S. Oh, I blamed other people several times that yuri subtext in this show became an obsession for them, but it looks like this became an obsession for me as well. I really need to get distracted by other titles and relax.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
It's gay then.
Case closed.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Oh, I already mentioned this scene when I said that the manga is more blatant in gay-jokes, especially when it comes to Haruka. But the problem is that this never goes beyond random jokes and easy teasing between the characters. A separate conversation is the manner in which Haruka likes to admire Kanata in the manga, for example telling her that "I love volleyball, because thanks to it I can spend more time with you", but it never gets development and also stays on the verge of jokes.

Of course, you can think that the girl are gay is only because she is close to her best friend and has a playful personality or a girl "definitely" a gay if she thinks another girl is beautiful, but for me personally this is just the wishful thinking. Not to mention the fact that the misunderstanding in the butt's scene was based on the fact that Kanata initially thought that Haruka had asked her to appreciate the beauty of her ass.

So, this is purely my subjective opinion and I would not be surprised if in the future anime or manga will go beyond jokes and fanservice, but for now personally for me it is nothing more than bait and standard homoerotic subtext for a more intimate depiction of friendship between characters.

P.S. Oh, I blamed other people several times that yuri subtext in this show became an obsession for them, but it looks like this became an obsession for me as well. I really need to get distracted by other titles and relax.

Well, I personally feel it's there, and intended, in the story. If you look at the cover image for chapter 4 of the manga it speaks volumes. spoiler[Ayasa standing behind Narumi with one arm around her lower ribs and the other draped over her shoulder left with her hand resting atop right breast. In addition, her eyes are "half-lidded". There's a term in lesbian fiction for those eyes... It's not polite for a public board, but it rhymes with "buck fee".]
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Well, I personally feel it's there, and intended, in the story. If you look at the cover image for chapter 4 of the manga it speaks volumes. spoiler[Ayasa standing behind Narumi with one arm around her lower ribs and the other draped over her shoulder left with her hand resting atop right breast. In addition, her eyes are "half-lidded". There's a term in lesbian fiction for those eyes... It's not polite for a public board, but it rhymes with "buck fee".]

I understand what you mean, but personally I stopped paying attention to it after I discovered how freely the Japanese are playing with eroticism in artwork. For example, the two main heroines in "You're Under Arrest" were never attracted to each other and had male love interests, but this didn't stop the artist from constantly portraying them in the "lesbian prelude" poses in official artwork. Moreover, one of the endings teased the fans of their "wedding". And that's not to mention a show like Code Geass and Black Butler, as a "male" version fot this.

Any homoerotism and gay jokes in this show are definitely intentional, it's obvious, but my experience tells me that this is likely to be a usual homoerotiс fanservice, and not a sign of any real desires or romantic feelings. However, my point of view is also subjective and the author's true intentions are not known to me, so I easily admit that at least in the case of Ayasa I may be mistaken.

Eventually, I already tired of this debate, so I'll just note that any interpretations are possible. At least, regardless of the girl's any "true orientation", their ships still have a lot of potential. Well, maybe besides the Thomas sisters, yes.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
The other aspect of Haruikana Receive is that is qualifies for the "404: Men Not Found" tag. Has there been a male character in the show or the manga? I mean, every episode there is a new excuse for why the grandfather ISN'T there! So, if there is going to be ANY romance, it will be, by necessity, yuri. Otherwise it will be just another cute girls doing cute things story. This time that cute thing happens to be a cute thing with built-in fanservice: Beach Volleyball.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes, if this show receives any canonical romantic line, then it will be yuri. There are different reasons why all-female show often avoid male characters or uses homoerotism, but in this case you are thinking in the right direction.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I mean, every episode there is a new excuse for why the grandfather ISN'T there!

There's a grandfather? Is he alive?!
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
zensunni wrote:
I mean, every episode there is a new excuse for why the grandfather ISN'T there!

There's a grandfather? Is he alive?!

Yep, in the first episode he is fishing, so he can't meet Haruka. On this, his "appearance" in the show ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6