• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Battle Angel Alita Manga Creator Reacts to Live-Action Film's Eyes, Scenery

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Basically how I felt, honestly lol
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kishiro said, "In the beginning, I was surprised because [Alita's] eyes are big. But when I saw what scenes there are, I stopped noticing it. When Alita is wet in the scene where she's exploring the spaceship sunk in the water, I started to think 'Cute!' I think everyone will come to like it soon."

Even if viewers come to appreciate the design choice while watching, there is still a sense in which all the eggs have been placed in one basket here. No film's general appeal can be assured to scale the depths of Uncanny Valley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Can "I'm jealous of the way the movie presents my stuff" be taken as the ultimate compliment that an original creator can give to a movie adaptation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Can "I'm jealous of the way the movie presents my stuff" be taken as the ultimate compliment that an original creator can give to a movie adaptation?

Given it's a comment in a site made to promote the film obviously it's going to be a compliment.

It would be more significant if the comment was made by Yukito in his personal twitter or something of that sort.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kishiro said, "In the beginning, I was surprised because [Alita's] eyes are big. But when I saw what scenes there are, I stopped noticing it. When Alita is wet in the scene where she's exploring the spaceship sunk in the water, I started to think 'Cute!' I think everyone will come to like it soon."

Honestly, I feel like thats a big gamble. I think her eyes a really really dumb. Not because of the design choice but because everyone else is normal and she's got anime eyes. You can't even justify it was done with the purpose of emphasising her inhuman features over the normal humans because even the other cyborgs have normal eyes.
I'm sure when I eventually sit down and watch this after 15 minutes or so it might stop being so jarring. But when there aren't any action scenes and we start exploring the dramatic relationship between human and machine and the zoom in on her face those big ass saucer eyes are will be a distraction.
Plus any person not aware of it's japanese origins will take one look at her eyes and go "what?" And not in a good way. I actually would love to know the reason why they thought this would be a good design choice.
Everything else looks nice, I'm very wary of how it'll turn out because Hollywood has always had a tendency of transforming movies for the worse. Worse than Japanese live actions anyway.

Prove me wrong Robert Rodriguez
Please.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Of course the creator is going to say nice things about their own creation. The true feelings come out after the movie has done it's course. Razz

There is no doubt some people will ignore the eyes after a while and focus on the movie. Then again, some people it will be a constant distraction. But given most modern movies are judged by the trailers and how they are presented, if there is controversy, it will have a negative reaction to the following.

Now the question is, will the movie end up a bomb like Ghost in the Shell? Or will it end up a success like Avatar? Personally, I think it will bomb. But may have a comeback in a cult following years down the road.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote
I recently watched Ready Player One, and if I recall the in-game avatars of the main characters had similar "anime eyes", but it wasn't distracting because it was like a game world and not the real world and each world was consistent within its own look.

Most of you are too young, but I remember watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit? back in the day, and that was the first film that really explored the uncanny valley of putting normal human proportions up against exaggerated cartoons, and it did it extremely well. But that film WANTED you to feel uncomfortable about the dichotomy. When christopher lloyd took off his "human" skin and went all cartonny it freaked me out as a kid.

Honestly speaking, if audiences can just accept this juxtaposition in a film like this without feeling weird, then something has fundamentally shifted in how we perceive movies... I'm not sure I want this design aesthetic to become "something that you don't notice".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:37 am Reply with quote
I'm much less concerned about the visual aesthetic style of the movie and more concerned about how they're going to adapt the plot and characters. Putting aside the casting controversy, the live action GITS movie also looked generally fine at least visually speaking from the trailers, but I think most people would agree it fell apart with adapting the plot. I'm more hopeful about the live action Alita movie more than I have been most live action anime remakes, but I feel like how is the plot and character writing handled is being lost in this debate over the eyes.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
About Alita...

I can't help but think how sad it is that we didn't get more Alita anime.

Legendary Miki Ito would have one more character that is closely associated with her.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Most of you are too young, but I remember watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit? back in the day, and that was the first film that really explored the uncanny valley of putting normal human proportions up against exaggerated cartoons, and it did it extremely well. But that film WANTED you to feel uncomfortable about the dichotomy. When christopher lloyd took off his "human" skin and went all cartonny it freaked me out as a kid.

Honestly speaking, if audiences can just accept this juxtaposition in a film like this without feeling weird, then something has fundamentally shifted in how we perceive movies... I'm not sure I want this design aesthetic to become "something that you don't notice".

This is a really good example! I loved this movie as a kid, and you are absolutely right--I adjusted to the juxtaposition between animation and live-action, because it worked with the story and became a very realistic aspect of the 'world' , even as I was painfully aware of the contrast between the two different 'races'.

Alita has a great story, so no problem there, and I really want one of these adaptations to succeed. When Roger Rabbit was released, I don't know who the target audience was for such a weird premise, but it seems like such a darkhorse. I can't wait to see Alita, to be honest.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
If it does well there might be a chance for a reboot anime. Stranger things have happened.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, the OVAs were always only ever intended to be an advertisement for the manga and the manga author didn't want there to be a full anime adaptation.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Why not Masashi Kishimoto basically admitted the Ultimate Ninja Storm games handled the fight scenes better than the manga did.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Er, how many 80's films did Stephen King paste that line on? Rolling Eyes
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
No creator has ever dissed a adaptation of his work, no matter if the trailer has looked good or not. If one ever did he would be apologizing for it later. These comments are just a promotion.
Notice how he could complement on so much things but still focused on the eyes which were the cause of "controversy". This is done on every adaptation...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2