• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KADO - The Right Answer Anime Wins MPTE Animation Award

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElFacilNoEiyuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
my guess is that they didn't watch the last 3 episodes because...

YIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
#872829 wrote:
my guess is that they didn't watch the last 3 episodes because...

YIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

100% this. I'm amazed this show won an award with how much of a messy train wreck it was. It's like Suicide Squad winning an Oscar for makeup. Well at least it's not Handshakers?
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe they just watched the movie? Pretty sure that's what it was for.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:

Was the movie any better? Genuine question here. The story and world plus the characters had a lot of problems so I'm legitimately curious if the movie could fix all of them or even any of those problems.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Haters gonna hate a I guess... Rolling Eyes
Anyways, really glad this wonderful series gets some recognition. Even if the last few episodes were not as good as the rest, it's pretty much the best pure sci-fi anime series of this decade
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Anyways, really glad this wonderful series gets some recognition. Even if the last few episodes were not as good as the rest, it's pretty much the best pure sci-fi anime series of this decade

Eh your free to like it but don’t overpraise it.

Especially with such a controversial ending. If it was really the best then it wouldn’t have had an extremely divisive ending like that.

Though this is prolly gonna be the last anyone’s ever gonna talk about it so enjoy it while it lasts I guess. Not like this is gonna lead to more recognition, someone already made quite a good comparison to Suicide Squad’s make-up award in that regard.
Gabriel Augusto Vidigal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Its really good this anime gets some recognition, I liked it a lot.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:

It's great that you enjoyed the series, I respect that you have a different opinion than I do. However I don't appreciate you writing off any problems me and others have with the series as us being a bunch of "haters" that are just here to hate, accompanied by an eye rolling emoji.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
wolf10 wrote:

Was the movie any better? Genuine question here. The story and world plus the characters had a lot of problems so I'm legitimately curious if the movie could fix all of them or even any of those problems.

They basically cut all the really stupid parts and patched it up as best they could using the existing footage. If anything, it's a really interesting demonstration of how much of a visual story can be changed with just a little editing. To give you an idea of the lengths they went to, Hanamori is only shown from behind or in long shots in the new ending, because the entire sequence of events spoiler[that aged him forward 16 years] hasn't happened.

Some things can still be inferred to have happened, but it's ultimately a more open (and much less dogmatic) ending. spoiler[Shindo's fate is undisclosed (though he's not on Earth, that's for sure), and zaShunina is shown to have survived.]
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
wolf10 wrote:

They basically cut all the really stupid parts and patched it up as best they could using the existing footage. If anything, it's a really interesting demonstration of how much of a visual story can be changed with just a little editing. To give you an idea of the lengths they went to, Hanamori is only shown from behind or in long shots in the new ending, because the entire sequence of events spoiler[that aged him forward 16 years] hasn't happened.

Some things can still be inferred to have happened, but it's ultimately a more open (and much less dogmatic) ending. spoiler[Shindo's fate is undisclosed (though he's not on Earth, that's for sure), and zaShunina is shown to have survived.]

Does it end on a similar note, though? I loved this show in its first half, and then fell off the train really, really hard when it did a 180 degree turn and decided to be a cliché-filled, banal excuse of a story that did away with everything interesting that the first half offered. It's one of my biggest disappointments in any media.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Does it end on a similar note, though? I loved this show in its first half, and then fell off the train really, really hard when it did a 180 degree turn and decided to be a cliché-filled, banal excuse of a story that did away with everything interesting that the first half offered. It's one of my biggest disappointments in any media.
I'd say it puts itself out of everyone's misery right as things start to go downhill, which is at least way better than systematically undoing basically every high point it had like the TV series did.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
It's like Suicide Squad winning an Oscar for makeup.

What's wrong with the makeup in Suicide Squad?
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

It was cliche-filled from the get-go; "real people don't act like this" was a huge problem with the structure of the first ep, and honestly there's always been a certain segment of spec.fic. that seems shaped by a limited understanding of human nature and motivation.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

It's great that you enjoyed the series, I respect that you have a different opinion than I do. However I don't appreciate you writing off any problems me and others have with the series as us being a bunch of "haters" that are just here to hate, accompanied by an eye rolling emoji.

Say whaaat???
Look, I'll give you an example so you'll be able to understand my point. A few days ago there was some news about how Land of the Lustrous had won some manga award. I thought that series was utter crap yet a lot of people seem to praise it everywhere, so why the hell would I want to say something like "oh, I can't believe this crap is getting x manga award"??? I get some people actually liked the series and they decided it deserved an award, so good for it, I guess, I'm not going to waste my time whining about how a series I disliked with a passion actually got some award, let alone try to convince anyone who actually enjoyed the series that it was crap, because,believe it or not, people have different tastes... so yeah, that's my eye-rolling for you.
Also, forgot to mention that one of the very maligned last few episodes (I think it was episode 10) contains one of the best scenes of the decade and I don't give a shit if some people here think I'm over-praising it.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
It's like Suicide Squad winning an Oscar for makeup.

What's wrong with the makeup in Suicide Squad?

I assume the comparison was that they're both widely considered to be bad works of fiction, which each won an award for a single element, which may have been deserved, but is of no consequence since that point does not redeem the work as a whole.

I liked the Ah My Goddess romance and the music (I bought the OST CD), but not the rest of the show. I'd absolutely be down to watch more CG anime with this look. Funny that it beat Land of the Lustrous, which I still haven't watched.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3