• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Banana Fish

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sei0arisue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
I can't asking more when banana fish making into anime...that's a wonderfull thing it's self.
But pardon me if i point some of the weak in the show...i mean..why ash using a smartphone when it's happen not long after irak war(when i saw that my head scream like "maji de....") when the manga is so realistic and so expresive even thought the voice did't came out from the sketch but just for reading them i can feel the atmosphere in the scene...i hope in the upcomming episode it will get better...but whatever the outcome for me Banana Fish still the best and of course rooting for the live actio ^0^
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Sei0arisue wrote:
But pardon me if i point some of the weak in the show...i mean..why ash using a smartphone when it's happen not long after irak war(when i saw that my head scream like "maji de....")

The second Iraq War "ended" in 2011 (not that the US doesn't still have troops there), and the iPhone and other touch-screen smart phones have been around since 2007, so I'm not seeing the problem. What should he be using?
Sei0arisue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Sei0arisue wrote:
But pardon me if i point some of the weak in the show...i mean..why ash using a smartphone when it's happen not long after irak war(when i saw that my head scream like "maji de....")

The second Iraq War "ended" in 2011 (not that the US doesn't still have troops there), and the iPhone and other touch-screen smart phones have been around since 2007, so I'm not seeing the problem. What should he be using?

Yea sorry miss in my part..i mean that in manga and anime have huge gap of time periode when in manga griffin and max are buddy in vietnam war (1975), when in anime they were part of US troops in iraq war... and the first scene ash appear in manga is in 1985 when smart phones did't around yet,...
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:12 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
There were several other changes from the manga as well. One that was already mentioned was Jennifer was roughed up more in the manga before she died. Alone I wouldn’t think about it much but, it made me recall choices the anime has made with other characters so far. In the anime scenes Ash’s body has been more exposed after being beat up by Marvin or assaulted in jail. In the scene on the truck trying to kill Dino, Ash's jeans were also really low again. Yet, the same episode when Eiji is startled awake by Ash and the pistol Eiji is wearing a top, whereas in the manga he is shirtless. I think Rose caught on to some of the framing too with the first episodes. So I don’t know it’s making me wonder.

Yeah, thanks for noticing those things, too. I guess the anime is trying to market a bit more to people who like looking at sexy males and such but the manga's message is not about that at all. It's about showing how horrible sexual abuse can be (and of course Ash uses it as one of his many "tools/weapons" to get shit done). But what are you gonna do? The anime has made some interesting small changes that's for sure, again trying to modernize it a bit with more fresh conotations.

And yeah, the Eiji wearing a black tank top in the bed kinda irked me. I assume the anime wants to show him as more conservative and innocent but he's honestly not that silly and adorable in the manga; he's just a normal guy. They definitely gave him more cuteness in the anime even if it's subtle.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I assume Ash being a hacker was modernized in the show, which makes me wonder how it was depicted in the original 1980s manga.

Nope! He's a genius hacker in the original manga too! It kind of makes me wonder how well Yoshida-sensei knew 80s computers, but yes, he still hacks the 80s computer.
Also, this incredible scene was, sadly, lost to the ages (I mean, Max and Ibe are in their 30s, the same age that most forced family tech support people are).

I am glad that they didn't drag out Yut-Lung being revealed as a villain too long though. I mean, he's put with the villains in the OP, waiting 5 eps would've just been torture for the audience. He's Banana Fish's very own Ceresi Lannister! But yeah, Yut-Lung is the villain who gets the development. And for anyone curious why the translation went with "Yut-Lung" instead of "Yue-Lung", the manga had already gone with "Yut-Lung" way back when.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you wanted a drug to assassinate someone, as Dino told us last week, you wouldn't exactly reach for acid or mushrooms.

I was under the impression that the drug was to be used to create assassins, not to kill by itself. So the LSD/MKUltra connection is reasonable for its time. Plus there are those mysterious "inert alkaloids"...

Lol, MS-DOS was released in 1981, the first Mac came out in 1984, and the manga began in 1985, so it's not quite like it's the computer dark ages. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ash's hacking expertise came quite out of left field in the anime, and seemed pretty ridiculous. We haven't seen him so much as touch a computer prior to this, and digging into the innards of modern OS's isn't something you just magically pick up by being a 'genius' (and nothing to date has attempted to establish him as such) -- there's too much idiosyncrasy in it for that. Would've been nice if the show made some effort to make this seem even distantly plausible.

Still a pretty OK show, though. Enjoying the recent turn with Shorter, especially - it's good to see some of Ash's close ties really challenged.
Manami-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope at some point, Ash is able to work past his trauma enough to have a healthy consensual sexual relationship with someone he loves, even if it's probably not going to be Eiji.

With the series having many ace fans or otherwise people who appreciate the depiction of non sexual love, in fact some people have already spoken out against sexualising Ash or AshEiji, I'd refrain from saying that Ash should get into a sexual relationship. BF's solution is different, though you'll probably come to understand the series' viewpoint and why people view it that way as the story goes on.

The following links while not having plot spoilers do spoil future AshEiji developments so I don't expect you to read them now, but they could be useful for later on in the series. https://rainfall.dreamwidth.org/109564.html
http://gorgeousshutin.tumblr.com/post/174391287421/banana-fish-bone-hi-im-asian-and-i-believe-i
AA751

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:54 am Reply with quote
Manami-san wrote:
Quote:
I hope at some point, Ash is able to work past his trauma enough to have a healthy consensual sexual relationship with someone he loves, even if it's probably not going to be Eiji.

With the series having many ace fans or otherwise people who appreciate the depiction of non sexual love, in fact some people have already spoken out against sexualising Ash or AshEiji, I'd refrain from saying that Ash should get into a sexual relationship. BF's solution is different, though you'll probably come to understand the series' viewpoint and why people view it that way as the story goes on.

The following links while not having plot spoilers do spoil future AshEiji developments so I don't expect you to read them now, but they could be useful for later on in the series. https://rainfall.dreamwidth.org/109564.html
http://gorgeousshutin.tumblr.com/post/174391287421/banana-fish-bone-hi-im-asian-and-i-believe-i

Yes because we have to perpetuate the idea that ace people are only ace because of sexual trauma, that's a brilliant IDEA. Let's keep doing that. ....It's even better because we can do that and erase that dirty sexy gay love at the same time. Two in one, amirite?

ETA: I one of those old fans, the one who read the manga back in 2005. I am a queer fan who 'appreciate' the depiction of a queer relationship. So can you refrain from acting as if you are the spokesperson for the fandom and what people appreciate, because you aren't.

Last edited by AA751 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miuna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, it results in a big infodump on the mysterious substance. Now, I'm no expert on drugs, but it is a little weird that this deadly superdrug is constantly being compared to LSD and psilocybin, two drugs that in real life have a relatively low potential for physical harm. If you wanted a drug to assassinate someone, as Dino told us last week, you wouldn't exactly reach for acid or mushrooms. I'm guessing this comes out of Akemi Yoshida's particular set of inspirations for the manga.

spoiler[There is a few quick shots of Angel’s Trumpet flowers while Ash is searching on the computer. Angel’s Trumpets have alkaloids which produce a hallucinogenic effect and have been known to kill people, so my guess (very early on here) is that they may be the source of the “inert Alkaloids” in this drug.][/spoiler]
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Manami-san wrote:
With the series having many ace fans or otherwise people who appreciate the depiction of non sexual love, in fact some people have already spoken out against sexualising Ash or AshEiji, I'd refrain from saying that Ash should get into a sexual relationship.

I wouldn't refrain from saying that in the slightest.

While I'm genuinely thrilled that there are people that are finding aspects of themselves in Banana Fish's depiction of love, Ash-as-asexual is directly contradicted by Ash himself in the canon text, more than once. I'd hate for someone who is looking for a deliberate depiction of asexuality to feel misled by fans of Banana Fish, or the series itself.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Since I was one of the people mentioning the framing, to be clear I don’t mind if the boys are sexy or cute or whatever.
I suppose if I’m considering everything there is material, where Yoshida drew in a more sensual or, explicit manner. There is also one two page spread in the Angel Eyes artbook of Ash I rarely see anyone mention that was sort of surprising. So it’s not completely unprecedented what the anime is doing, even when a particular instance can be cited for departing.

It’s just if one has a character like Ash where the large problem he’s had is far too many people objectifying him, if there is a level reached of objectifying him to the audience… is that some point of exposing mechanisms of power? Or, there for the hurt sexy which I know is a thing for some people.

Manami-san wrote:

I’m reading some incredibly general and ignorant statements looking through things on those tumblr blogs.

A theme to several of Yoshida’s work focus on issues around growing up like seuxalisation and relationships along with trauma and as can be found in other comics in the shoujo demographic. While I think it is fair to say she may value the romantic more than the sexual in her narratives she has repeatedly combated gendered notions and prejudices therein. (I am also not convinced she sees such forms of love as wholly separate because I seem to remember she said something along the line of a connection once. I wish I could it find now.) There were also Japanese readers of Banana Fish back in the day who noticed the lack of female characters. I don’t say that to invalidate that there is a set of fans right on up to today who don’t like female characters in the BL space. Still, how much that plays into the conventions of the genre…

Rose also linked that discussion with Yoshida (unofficial English translation anyway). I’ve seen some fans (including Japanese fans), this goes even before the anime starting airing, making some messed up arguments over the statements between Miura and Yoshida. It’s upsetting and can contribute to a lot of toxic messages culture likes to send out there. So something help us all, really.

About how much a culture is "sex positive" too… personally sex positive to me has always meant being non-judgmental about different choices people make in regards to the expression of sexuality in consent. So doing away with the impurity mind-set around sexual behaviours and by extension sexual trauma is only one part. Not engaging in sexual acts has to be equally valued.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
Jessica isn't a throw away/gone forever character, don't you worry. And man, reading all of the viewpoints about sex in BF is so damn interesting. It's really a unique thing about this series.

Also, rest in peace Unshō Ishizuka, you were a true vet. Wonder who they will get to be the new voice of Dino...
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:01 am Reply with quote
Ash and Eiji are not gay.
Ash doesn't automatically distrust everyone he meets.
Ash doesn't have a problem with sex, just when it's forced on him. Like most humans, I guess.
Yue Lung is honestly one of the best things about BF. And BF will never slow down. SO many things haven't even come into the light yet and the ride will get even better when they do.
I swear, though, the manga gives off such a different tone with this series it's definitely a sign of the times now with everyone jumping on anything remotely skewed to BL and running with it. Obviously that was the director's idea as well. Thankfully she doesn't run with it too far ahead... I guess that's just how the kiddos take it nowadays.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Well third of the way through the anime is condensing a lot which, was expected. Episode 8 covered some 115 pages. Like Jennifer the anime protected Jessica a little more but, viewers still get the gist. (It is irking me they’re presenting what happens to characters differently because of their gender though.) The world of Banana Fish is an equally crappy world all the way round. I'm going to say I don't think it's fair to merely distill what happens to tropes. The scenes with Jessica were cut down too. I actually appreciated her full response in the manga spoiler[one of contradictions, scared, angry (course some of those lines would have people screaming “not all men”), seeking intimacy (we know the anime can do up close kisses!) and comforted a little by Max before he regrettably leaves hugging and saying he still loves her. ] It’s not immense since Max leaves because the other guys are in trouble but, the incident had more substance than what we got in the anime. Episode further skipped showing what Shorter’s sister is up to back in New York. Like it would be sort of nice if she’s not coming up as just the coercion material you know? Has the anime even named her yet? She has a name in the comic and isn’t a one-off character either.

I think I may prefer the manga to the anime. My favourite scenes still are to come so I’m withholding complete judgment till we get there though. But, I hope if people like the show at all they may search out copies of the manga too. The anime is leaving out a lot and some of it may not be for the better. I know a few people that got the English reprint in their hands already so it's out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12