• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Anime Gets 88-Hour 'Endless Eight' Streaming Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Now that seems fun but watching all most 200 episodes of them same episodes better have announcement at the end
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
What are the chances of a season 3 announcement?

Chances of announcing season 3: 0.0001%

Chances of announcing another spinoff anime (like the "Kyon & Koizumi" series): 0.1%

Chances of announcing Tanigawa's finally written a new book: 5%

Chances of something very minor or nothing at all getting announced: 95%

Chances of some hardcore otaku nutjob tuning in for all 88 hours and getting super-pissed if they don't announce anything significant by the end: 100%
lemurs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

Zero. There hasn't been any significant new source material in the past decade, so this franchise is likely to stay dead.
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

Next to zero. There hasn't been any new releases or anything Haruhi related for a while and that is including The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Dear God, WHY.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
population_tire wrote:
...Chances of some hardcore otaku nutjob tuning in for all 88 hours and getting super-pissed if they don't announce anything significant by the end: 100%
If you see a news story about some guy shooting his TV/monitor and running down the street screaming in the middle of the night Aug31/Sept1 you'll know why...
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
Although I'm kind of sad this is Haruhi's most prominent legacy now, I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me laugh.
It probably helps that I wasn't watching when it first aired, so I binge-watched Endless Eight and avoided the pain.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:54 am Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
It probably helps that I wasn't watching when it first aired, so I binge-watched Endless Eight and avoided the pain.

I was also late to the party, but did struggle through the binge. Can't imagine what people thought week-to-week.

I'm a fan of the franchise, read and own the novels, along with the manga adaption. Own the anime series and movie, along with the Yuki-chan manga/anime. Would love a Haruhi season 3, but don't see that ever happening...

Though, I'm content with the ending the novel's have, not sure if I'd be interested in a continuation of that novels. Still, slim chance of that happening anyway.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

Keep the faith! It will happen!
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
The most likely scenario for a 3rd season would be to promote the next novel if it ever gets released, especially if it's finally a dang ending.

So in that sense I wouldn't give up hope completely. But I'm not real optimistic we'll ever get the next installment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Cruel if they have something new or weird going on during this. As making people watch this whole thing just to spread the word.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Gurren Rodan wrote:

I was also late to the party, but did struggle through the binge. Can't imagine what people thought week-to-week.

I'm a fan of the franchise, read and own the novels, along with the manga adaption. Own the anime series and movie, along with the Yuki-chan manga/anime. Would love a Haruhi season 3, but don't see that ever happening...

Watching two or three at a time, I actually enjoyed Endless Eight, noticing all the subtle diiferences in details and presentation from episode to episode. I think season two was pretty experimental overall; and while the end result was lesser than the first season, I appreciated seeing KyoAni try different stuff.
Having said that.... IF a 3rd season actually happens, I would hope they go back to the non-linear structure of the 1st season. I thought the storytelling was brilliantly done there, and the material not yet covered in the books could probably work in the same way.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
Although I'm kind of sad this is Haruhi's most prominent legacy now, I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me laugh.

Yes, I haven't even seen the episodes in question, but I rather suspect the Endless Eight has now permanently replaced the fans' entire Memory of Haruhi Suzumiya, even for those networks or streaming outlets that got the first season along with the second.

Sort of the same way you will never, ever after hear a Star Wars fan conversation that doesn't mention Last Jedi.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
..I was also late to the party, but did struggle through the binge. Can't imagine what people thought week-to-week...
Let me tell ya...
Week1- I didn't read the novel or manga but the story in Season1 was so great, I can't wait to see Ep2
Week2- OK, I see what you're doing, cute that there are minor changes but can't wait to see how this plays out in Ep3
Week3- ???Shouldn't this be where the looping is explained so we can get to other good parts maybe in Ep4?
Week4- OK, enough is enough I get it. Just because everybody knows the animation is digital doesn't excuse yet another episode of the same thing. Ep5 better be different
Week5- OK, one new scene isn't different enough! This is starting to piss me off, do they really intend to do eight episodes of the same thing? Really?
Week6- OMG! No explanation beyond the other reveals. Why would they do this? People are beginning to say that KyoAni wants to kill the series but that doesn't make sense
Week7- Of course, they are going to do eight episodes of the same thing. Mad
Week8- OK, this should have been Ep3 but at least they ended it. Kyon, you spineless bastard, you should have kissed Haruhi when she was so close!
Week9- Oh, FU*K YOU KYOANI!!You made us sit through eight G.D. episodes and this is what we get? A lame-ass "making of" story?? Maybe the rumors are true because it really seems like they want to kill the series and this might do it....
Week10- No...NO....they continue the lame-ass-ness. I now know some of this is from the LN but we didn't need this. I'm so done with this, SHI-NE KYOANI!!
Week11- Catching up on Bakemonogatari, doesn't seem half-bad but wordy! Kyoani can burn in hell for what they did to Haruhi Evil or Very Mad

That's how it went for a majority I think...
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
Kind of odd to actively celebrate what basically singlehandedly killed the entire franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2