• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Happy Sugar Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying the yandere version of Dexter even if it is somewhat questionable that more than half of the characters are criminals. Than again I guess that Satou could just be very unlucky in that her family, teacher, manager, coworkers, and people that she randomly meets in the park just happen to be criminals. So far I think that Satou is the best yandere character I have seen in an anime though that probably does have a lot to do with her being the protagonist of the story. That Satou is so broken that the only sin she thinks she has committed was lying about loving her coworker is both creepy and tragic. While the anime has indicated that it will be a tragedy I do hope that it doesn't get excessively tragic.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the review mentioned the direction. The use of music and expressions was really on point, and they really executed the timing well. It's so easy for something like this to overdo the music, or cut things a few seconds too long or too short, and mess up the flow of the entire scene, especially in a moody series like this one. As crazy, and sometimes dumb, as this series is, bad direction would have utterly tanked it, so it's nice to see the direction really holding up so far.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sulfy wrote:
I mean come on, Mitsuboshi's mom doesn't know her son's room is covered in MISSING posters?

Whether it is true or not, it has been said that some teenagers guard their door like they were the gates of Mordor. In some cases, with even the threat of violence against their parents.

Hrm, that's quite disturbing if it's true...

In any case, I do hope Shoko makes it out of this debacle alright! Sure she has a bit of a "saving others" mentality, sort of, but that just means she's one of this show's pure-hearted characters! Maybe.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I think this week's episode is where me and this show part ways.

Asahi's mother leaves her abusive husband, but for some reason only with 1/2 of her children, not to mention he just continues to live there for five years afterwards, after the man pulls out his fingernails WITH HIS BARE HANDS, and then after he dies, he just goes to his mother's new place. Like he knew where she lived, and continued to stay with his father?

Ye gods, this is episode six and we're STILL introducing crazy characters, to be crazy, with no sign of redemption. This anime can't swing a dead cat without hitting another loon. I feel like the author just went "gah, I don't feel like writing plot this week, OH I know, how about another character who's crazy!"

Also, it's not like Mitsuboshi (Colors) never leaves his room, his mother would have plenty opportunity to enter, like when he was getting beaten up by street toughs.

I actually like Shoko, and even Shio (baby Shio extending her pinky was very cute), but I read ahead what happens, meh.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Inoue Kikuko doing such an insane character is frightening. She has some quite different characters this season, including a grandmother on Precure (17 years old, no doubt), and of course her Cells At Work role which is much more the traditional Inoue Kikuko role.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ: To be fair to Happy Sugar Life, the aunt isn't exactly a "new" character, as she's been mentioned quite a few times in the previous episodes. It's just that the masochistic teacher (and some viewers, including myself) assumed that Satou killed her.

Her being bat-shit crazy wasn't shocking, and was almost eye-rolling for me, until the part when she got under the officer's skin. That extra kick of creepy pushed it past eye-rolling into "this is a car crash that I can't look away from."

And dang, that scene with Satou and Shoko? That was just plain miserable.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was one of the best of the series and my favorite thus far. The staff did a fantastic job of making everything click the way it does for maximum effect and I’m just very pleased to see it all progress smoothly. I’m currently very pumped to seeing the rest of the episodes as besides getting some more background on certain things, the series will start laying the foundation for the 12th episode and will be, I feel, a sweet treat to see develop.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Crazy Aunt is Best Girl
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Inoue Kikuko doing such an insane character is frightening.

You are not joking! I think the aunt's character has so much more impact if you are familiar with Kikuko's voice and you suddenly hear her in this role. It's really a great example of not only her talent for voice acting, but also a brilliant casting decision. Hearing that dialogue in Belldandy's voice makes it so much more meaningful than random voice talent. It really carries the feeling that the character mentally snapped.

I am definitely enjoying this show!!
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the final scene of the blood-spattered Satou going to Shio suggests that, for all her ruthlessness in the moment, she may be feeling significant pain over having lost Shoko.

I like to believe that is the case. Up until around episode 7, The only other person Satou seemed to care about aside from Shio was Shoko. She was probably her only friend because they were the same in that they never knew love. Shoko wanted to be closer to Satou, but was kept at arms length until she finally convinced her. Which lead to the whole Aunt debacle.

Satou let her closer than almost anyone into her life.. and Shoko ran away despite wanting to be closer in the first place. You could see that hurt Satou when she said "let's just go back to being friends from work" in episode 7 (Which Shoko tortured herself mentally over). Then she brought it up again when she said Shoko rejected her and that's why she didn't believe her. I kinda felt bad for her in a way.

The last few minutes of this episode were very good.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Shoko wanted to be closer to Satou, but was kept at arms length until she finally convinced her. Which lead to the whole Aunt debacle.

I think it was a bit different. It seems to me that Shoko and Satou used to be very close in the past. They talked about how they'd go out and chase guys together, etc. spoiler[But once Satou encountered Shio then things changed and Satou became more distant and closed off, telling Shoko that she finally found her "true love boyfriend" to cover for it.] I don't get the feel that Shoko was always kept at arm's distance from Satou. Rather, they used to be close but then suddenly Satou became more distant.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The last scene of this episode was amazing - just brilliantly done. It actually felt like a real horror show / movie and not just “anime horror.” It didn’t feel like the sensationalized violence you usually get from violent and bloody anime - it was raw, painful, and scary.

Even though I knew what was coming, the moment when Satou grabs Shoko from behind sent that horror movie jolt of fear through my stomach. Shoko’s struggling and clawing was so realistic it was hard to watch.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear, I was hoping for some kind of redemption. Both girl's deserved some kind of happy end.

Guess we are going full on tragedy for the ending. Then again, I guess we already know how the show ends from episode one. I had forgotten about that until now. But is it reality, or a dream.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
shoko was a good girl who deserved happiness! But her name means "evidence" so I should've seen this coming
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It was surprisingly disturbing to watch the show kill off it's most likable character. The only person in the show who seemed genuinely good and selfless. And the most sane. I wonder if we're going to see any ramifications of her disappearance, since she not only works with Satou, be we know her mom checks in on her when she doesn't come home on time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6