• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
kenatsu wrote:
Is it just me or this arc was really disjointed and very boring. The character development to me was pretty weak for the side characters and the new characters were barely developed at all and seemed to have some pretty weak reasons for wanting to go at Class A. I'm definitely glad its over tbh

Um, it's still ongoing. They just started the second part of the test. What are you talking about?
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:06 am Reply with quote
If this is related to how the preview showed the characters outside of the exam, then it's not because the arc is ending next episode. It's actually pulling a Bleach and doing a filler episode that takes place outside of the actual arc's story. Though in their defense, it's not like this is just to give the manga more time or something like why Bleach did it, but it looks like their choices were either air a filler episode or air nothing next week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BokuNoHeroAcademia/comments/98b1tm/next_week25082018_there_will_be_an_anime_original/
Quote:
Next week is the nation-wide Japanese charity event "24h TV - Love Saves The Earth", in which every TV station changes their program and sends stuff related to the charity event instead. Most normal programs don't run (i.e. Detective Conan anime, which has the timeslot right after MHA), but MHA instead decided to air a special episode that ties-in with the charity event and the movie.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
^ Neat, I was wondering why the hell we'd have a filler unrelated to the exam right in the middle of the exam, that explains it.

Now to hope that it's good.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
How can one review this episode and not mention Gang Orca?? Sam, I am disappointed.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
How can one review this episode and not mention Gang Orca?? Sam, I am disappointed.

In any other form of media, a humanoid orca wearing a sweater and khakis would garner attention, but for anime, it's just Saturday.

That being said, Gang Orca looks awesome!
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

*Shakes head in approval*
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

In any other form of media, a humanoid orca wearing a sweater and khakis would garner attention, but for anime, it's just Saturday.

personally they should have used endeavor's agency and not orca's! that would definitely been more dramatic to have him spoiler[fail shoto]!

Quote:
There's some lip service to her burying her feelings in order to focus on heroism, but I don't get the impression that actually goes anywhere, nor is "burying your feelings" a healthy example of character agency in my opinion.

but from the looks of things , that is what going on with ochako! that has to change otherwise, we would have another franxx disaster on how hands with her becoming a carbon copy of bad ichigo!

this was why in my previous post i had concerns that they might try to have her become a tsundere like character! hopefully that doesnt happen, but her "burying her feelings" wont happen. just ask ichigo!

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's some lip service to her burying her feelings in order to focus on heroism

This is the sort of attitude that makes people think there's some substance to the argument that you can't have women (or gay men) in combat because instead of shooting at the enemy, everyone will be making out in the trenches. That's the thinking of someone who's never been in a crisis or emergency situation.

Before the exam starts, after it's over, fine, but the last thing Uraraka would be thinking about during the heat of the exam is the heat in her loins for Deku. When the crap hits the fan, people either take action (including flailing uselessly), run away, or freeze up. They don't stop in the midst of chaos and surging adrenaline and moodily ponder their love lives.

I really am starting to like Aoyama. He just seems to be so freakin' happy to shoot off his laser, I can't help but smile. I'm also warming up to Sero, but that's mainly because he reminds me of Yowapeda's Midousuji in his younger, less insane days.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Because I was supporting this since season 1, my reaction to Ochako's silent decision was very THIS

Lol

Quote:
I really am starting to like Aoyama. He just seems to be so freakin' happy to shoot off his laser

Proud of him and VERY proud of Kaminari!! They are comic relief characters with limited screentime but they can still develop.. Excellent.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Wait why would you recommend skipping it? Only because it's an anime original? I think any fan of the series who actually enjoys seeing the characters interact with each other will have a fun time watching it. It's just like an OVA(similar to training of the dead and that other one I forget), All Might even has his OVA villain costume. The jokes were on point, All Might and Deku acting as show hosts was absolute perfection and it's a nice intro to the movie.

So yeah, I think suggesting skipping it just because its a special seems incredibly close minded imo. If you like MHA's world, you are getting more fun times with the cast you love.

Also yea... There was no love!
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Now This is what I would call an example of a Bottle episode.

Smaller cast consisting only of the 6 most popular students, a few of the popular teachers, all basically taking place inside the fake jewelry store location. Not a lot of action and a lot of talking.

It also doubles as a promo/lead in to the upcoming film, so while this filler doesn't really fit the anime time-line, it works for the marketing team for the movie.

While I can see some skipping it if they are limited on leisure time, it doesn't really have any impact on the arc, it still is an enjoyable episode to fans of the series.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
This was the only episode so far of MHA that I considered bad. Even the 'first' episode of this season - the half pool shenanigans and half recap - I thought was only mediocre, but this I actively disliked.

Midoriya goes very far in his assumption, speaking for like 3 minutes uninterrupted and of course he's completely right. Bakugo shouts a lot and is absolutely predictable and unhelpful the whole way through. Uraraka does some token support work then is relegated to comedic relief. And the three other characters do bugger all, because they don't really have a reason to be here to begin with. Then the ad for a movie I won't be able to see for at least until the Japanese blu-rays are available for pirating - because I don't live in a country this would screen.

I didn't hate the episode, but HeroAca hadn't had a bad episode until this - some pacing issues, sure, maybe sometimes a bit too lowkey or conservative. I think it could've been an interesting filler - maybe have some lesser known characters actively participate, if you're set on having a whodunnit because it's less resources having to be spent, make its resolution not a 3-minute-rant, and don't make half of it be a commercial to a movie.
Ohiotaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the filler ep, thought it was funny. And meganeko Midnight proves that glasses make everything better.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
This was the only episode so far of MHA that I considered bad. Even the 'first' episode of this season - the half pool shenanigans and half recap - I thought was only mediocre, but this I actively disliked.

Yeah, this was a bit worrying. I was becoming hopeful that MHA's team just wasn't capable of putting together a poorly told discontinuity of a filler episode, but this episode put that hope to rest.

Well, so long as it remains rare it won't be bothersome.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
As noted that the reason for this filler episode existing is because the channel MHA is on has a yearly charity thing going on that no one can skip.

So the crew was given the choice of having no episode or making a filler episode for the charity thing.

So its pretty much a "my hands are tied" situation & hey anything for charity am I right.

With that in mind we should all just accept the episodes existence whether its good or bad, & move on to next week.

Its one of those things we can't complain about really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 81