• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vinland Saga Anime Unveils Main Staff, Visual

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to it for sure! Wink
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:02 am Reply with quote
I really really really hope it's not a full 3DCG series judging by the director's portfolio... definitely sparks some worries.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote
^^^ I don't think so. I thought Inuyashiki looked pretty great despite some clunky cgi here and there (probably more due to budget reasons, I guess). Also, that key visual looks 2d to me. Anyway, I'm really optimistic. This is really a rock-solid staff working on the adaptation of one of the best manga ever. 2019 can't come soon enough Very Happy
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:09 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
^^^ I don't think so. I thought Inuyashiki looked pretty great despite some clunky cgi here and there (probably more due to budget reasons, I guess). Also, that key visual looks 2d to me. Anyway, I'm really optimistic. This is really a rock-solid staff working on the adaptation of one of the best manga ever. 2019 can't come soon enough Very Happy

Berserk 2016's key visual also looked 2D
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

Berserk 2016's key visual also looked 2D

We knew Berserk would be CG from the PV.

We should wait for a PV instead of panicking about it. I think the staff is solid.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
I'm wary of being hyped because recently every adaptation I'd been looking forward to (Arslan, LoGH, Altair, Banana Fish, etc) turned out to be various levels of disappointing. :/ I really hope Vinland Saga is not going to be one of them.

(On the other hand a bunch of adaptations I hadn't been excited about - smaller name franchises like Drifters, Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori, How To Keep a Mummy, etc. - proved to be great and extremely enjoyable, so I guess there's still hope.)
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
I like the studio and staff. Not a new crew, and they’ve worked on some visually impressive stuff. I do hope they use as little 3D cgi as possible though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping that this staff treats Vinland Saga with more respect than the Planetes anime staff did, though that wouldn't be a hard thing to accomplish.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Here's hoping that this staff treats Vinland Saga with more respect than the Planetes anime staff did, though that wouldn't be a hard thing to accomplish.

Indeed. Even though I did like Planetes a lot I could have done without those goofy anime-only characters. I'm pretty sure we are in good hands here, though.
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
It's worth noting that Vinland Saga is continued past Volume 8 in English, despite what the article implies. Omnibus 10 (which contains the Japanese volumes 19 and 20) just came out this year in June.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
I really really really hope it's not a full 3DCG series judging by the director's portfolio... definitely sparks some worries.
It won’t be, it is Wit Studio, they have never done a full CGI series. Madbox seems to be working on the CGI for Vinland Saga.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
It's worth noting that Vinland Saga is continued past Volume 8 in English, despite what the article implies. Omnibus 10 (which contains the Japanese volumes 19 and 20) just came out this year in June.

Yeah I think the article notes it (maybe it was edited in after you pointed it out????) but then goes on to say that Kodansha didn't plan releasing more after vol. 8?

Weird... but either way, I hope this spurs it's popularity over here in the west.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I'm wary of being hyped because recently every adaptation I'd been looking forward to (Arslan, LoGH, Altair, Banana Fish, etc) turned out to be various levels of disappointing. :/ I really hope Vinland Saga is not going to be one of them.
Banana Fish is only a few episodes in, and honestly so far I thought it was pretty. Altair, I thought that show was good.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
SHD wrote:
Banana Fish is only a few episodes in, and honestly so far I thought it was pretty. Altair, I thought that show was good.

Banana Fish looks good, sure. But I can't help but see it as a concept-less and, to me, soulless adaptation that seems to exist because the producers wanted a Yuuri on Ice #2. Let's put it this way, the detail about its production that left me the most worried was learning that the director not only never read the manga before boarding the project, but she actually had no idea that the manga (a genuine classic whose anime adaptation was huge news) existed. And man, does it show.

As for Altair, it's one of those shows that might have been decent (not good, not with that terrible animation and music) were I not familiar with the manga. But knowing the manga, I couldn't help seeing the anime as the director reading the manga and going "I could've done this better". The anime is doing its damnedest to twist the story into something it's not supposed to be, an overly dramatic heroic epic. It also had a whole lot of rewrites that changed characterization, character arcs, etc. And the end result is just bleh. I really suggest reading the manga because the anime seriously doesn't do it justice and it would have deserved better.

(And I'm not someone who expects adaptation to copy the source letter to letter. There are anime adaptations that I actually prefer to the source material. But these cases... nope.)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
As for Altair, it's one of those shows that might have been decent (not good, not with that terrible animation and music) were I not familiar with the manga. But knowing the manga, I couldn't help seeing the anime as the director reading the manga and going "I could've done this better". The anime is doing its damnedest to twist the story into something it's not supposed to be, an overly dramatic heroic epic. It also had a whole lot of rewrites that changed characterization, character arcs, etc. And the end result is just bleh. I really suggest reading the manga because the anime seriously doesn't do it justice and it would have deserved better.
Some others said likewise to the changes in from the Manga when it was airing, so its possible that I would not like the Manga since it doesn't sound like it has what i liked about the Anime(plus I like to read physical Manga).

For example I like how you've got this naive dreamy eyed young man, who is thrown into a political game, where his heroic actions start to undermine his goals. He quickly has to wise up or face defeat. The Manga readers said that this change did not happen until latter in the story, which is something that sounds like an improvement over the source material.

I agree on the Animation in terms of art, the environments look poorly painted, interiors look like someone slapped textures on them. The animation was good, some of the fights felt like they came out of HXH.

The military espionage adventure was a nice change from the more flashy action adventure that these shows usually go for. Mahmut feels like he was ripped from one of those, and put into a story where that sort of stuff doesn't work, so he had to adapt or die. If the Manga is different from that, it does not sound as good. The shows director, Kazuhiro Furuhashi, has worked on many high profile shows over the years(except for the one after this), so it seems justified to make changes, I could not find any prier works from the Mangaka.

I just hope there is more season, otherwise I really will have to read the Manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2