• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chio's School Road

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Surprised there was no mention of Momo's crush on the teacher, or Manana's *terrible* advice to go for it because any blame will fall on him, no matter what.: D

Or what she distracted the cats with (and the teacher's reaction to it). Smile

I recognized the Naruto song instantly (if not by name), so I guess it was emblematic enough? It helped me understand what she was trying to do, since otherwise I would've guessed it was some move from video games or something.

I was actually expecting them to do an overtly Dragon Ball Fusion Dance (which I suppose in a way it was), but they went them one better, and it was priceless.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Added to the likes of Assassins Creed is Hitman, both assassin games but quite different from each other, but this went for specifics.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was actually expecting them to do an overtly Dragon Ball Fusion Dance (which I suppose in a way it was), but they went them one better, and it was priceless.

So was I, totally thought they would be geeky enough to do the fusion dance, but the Mananacchio was really something.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
Chio's a pretty alright character, but I honestly just tune in for Manana. Well, mostly, anyhow. Her terrible personality mixed with her shrill, cracking voice is just too damn entertaining lol

I do have one question, though - do most Japanese schools have an instructor standing by the entrance gate with a wooden sword, or is that mainly just an anime trope?
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Chio's a pretty alright character, but I honestly just tune in for Manana. Well, mostly, anyhow. Her terrible personality mixed with her shrill, cracking voice is just too damn entertaining lol

I do have one question, though - do most Japanese schools have an instructor standing by the entrance gate with a wooden sword, or is that mainly just an anime trope?

The Shinai (Kendo sword) seems unlikely, but some do have teachers checking for obvious contraband items, checking dress codes, etc, and closing gates.

The Shinai isn't as threatening as it seems; they're bamboo, and constructed in such a way as to make a lot of noise but be effectively a nerf bat. It's not impossible to actually hurt somebody with it, but it would probably take some effort, unlike a bokken, which is a solid wood sword, often polished oak, and can easily break bones.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

A positive that she is not alone this season, with Hanako from Asobi Asobase being very similar.

meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah first half was pretty boring, didn't help that they just reused 1-2 minutes of the first time the Kabaldi skits happened. Second was fine, nothing amazing but wasn't boring or anything.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm only up to episode 5, but I still liked what I saw (mostly), I think the best part was of course, seeing the Mananacchio. Next time there's a stage production of Cats, that should be included. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'm totally not on board for the predatory Kabaddi player, but any sketch with Andou is a win for me so far. I'm not sure what to make of the tag on that sketch though - his friend's interested reaction to Andou's choice of game could turn out to be wonderfully hilarious or cringeworthy (or both), but the series' use of lesbian ass-groping doesn't leave me particularly sanguine about which way they'll go.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Kushitori's not really the best character in there, hopefully this is her last appearance...

One thing I'm wondering is, I wonder if they'll ever do some episode where it involves Chio cheating on an online game (using stuff like aimbot and wall hacks like mentioned in episode 5) and getting banned or something, and her getting over melodramatic over that...

Bit of an update: Now after seeing episode 7, I couldn't finish this entire episode, I had to skip to the end of Part B (I did find out it's something called kancho in Japan but twas too much for me), but Part A was funny; that speech Chio did easily could make her another AVGN, and funnily enough when I went to Barnes and Noble I was trying not to damage books as I put them back. What's with the bleeped out "J**p" though? Confused

Either way, unlike Harukana Receive, these episodes (or Parts) usually have been hit and miss with me, sometimes these are funny, sometimes pretty damn skeevy and antsy, anyone else think that?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the central narrative of Chio and Manana constantly running into Andou is perhaps the least memorable part of the story.

I don't know about you, but that epic ashidon will stay in my mind for some time. Laughing As will the training sequence that made it possible. Does Andou's kohai have a name?

I also did a spit take at the hair and make-up call-back in Manana's imagination. Good stuff.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
In the beginning I compared it to Hinamatsuri, but while this show came up with something new and unexpected in every episode (well, in every scene, to be honest), Chio's School Road somehow just seems to become a little bit predictable...
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly formulaic as it is I'm still super enjoying this show. Certainly not as good as Hinamatsuri but I still always find it a fun way to kill some time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
So Andou will probably lose his job because he smelled like fish all day. Smile
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised people find some episodes to be better than others. I've found this to be one of the most consistently good shows I've seen.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
^^ have to agree. The only low points the series has had in my opinion were Andous first two segments (the Bloody Butterfly stuff), and the jock girl stuff. Everything else has been pretty solid. Manana is definitely my favorite character of this anime season Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3