• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Manga Resumes Following Original Light Novel Author's Controversy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I love the manga but I am wondering, if the Light Novel will resume too since it would be pointless to continue the manga, if the Light Novel is cancelled or infinite hietus.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Nice, glad to see the manga back; it was pretty fun.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
thank god
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Saw the raws a few hours ago so I was happy to know it was resuming. All we need is the novel back and we good to go. I'm sure the anime is never gonna happen now tho.
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Saw the raws a few hours ago so I was happy to know it was resuming. All we need is the novel back and we good to go. I'm sure the anime is never gonna happen now tho.

Hopefully the LN resume so we can know that manga will continue adapting more volume. Sad that Anime won't come back and I was really hype for the anime since I like the manga.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
This suggests that the author of the light novels only got punished for his mean tweets. I mean, this show has some racism inherent in the premise, as the protagonist is a WW2 soldier who killed a bunch of Chinese people with a sword, and he brings said weapon into the new world. But I guess that doesn't matter for a manga adaption.

On the other hand, this is a unique situation. I don't have an opinion on what should be done if the work turns out to be problematic, rather than the person making it. For all we know, the mangaka is having a good time drawing it and doesn't care about the author's beliefs at all. It probably isn't a bad idea to continue this so long as it remains inoffensive.

At least the LN series itself probably won't continue. I also don't expect there to be an(other) anime after what happened with the cancelled attempt. If you ask me, this whole scandal should be behind us by now.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I was looking forward to more of it. Glad it's back Very Happy
Shinuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Please Japan, show some balls and don't let another country dictate what your industry should or not publish in your own country, thanks!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
I’m glad that at least the manga is resuming and hopefully the LN will resume shortly afterwards. Very Happy
Amuris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't really care for this one as there were some basic concepts the author botched that I couldn't get past to become invested in it. As for the controversy, he could have built up his mc in much better ways than cheap nationalism. What I'm really concerned about is the author's other story, The Misadventures of a Broke Mercenary. That's a story he did a good job on, Hero and Heroine have great chemistry and didn't try to find a way to sneak his opinions about China in it either. Just wish this story can get the anime.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
#854688 wrote:
I honestly don't really care for this one as there were some basic concepts the author botched that I couldn't get past to become invested in it.

I'm curious, which concepts do you mean. I haven't read any of this but I lost interest when the plot description said that the main character loses his memories when he gets sent to thr other dimension, doesn't that just make this another cookie cutter isekai protagonist? The idea of a grumpy old man being fountain of youthed into a fantasy realm sounded amusing but if he's going to another blank slate protagonist for the viewers to project themselves on to.... meh. I mean he might not be but "lost memories" usually implies that.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
Please Japan, show some balls and don't let another country dictate what your industry should or not publish in your own country, thanks!
. Bad argument to make. A lot of the people mad were Japanese anyway. Japanese people are capable of seeing how racist the dude is. Japan should show some balls by punishing racists more harshly.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
Well, this was easy to predict: the company just waited a few months to let the whole issue blow over, and then started it right back up again, just like Rurouni Kenshin. I'm sure the light novel will soon follow. Honestly, I didn't even expect the anime to get cancelled. I've got to say, I'm pretty disappointed in the publisher, but I guess money really is more important than any ethical concerns.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
This suggests that the author of the light novels only got punished for his mean tweets. I mean, this show has some racism inherent in the premise, as the protagonist is a WW2 soldier who killed a bunch of Chinese people with a sword, and he brings said weapon into the new world. But I guess that doesn't matter for a manga adaption.

On the other hand, this is a unique situation. I don't have an opinion on what should be done if the work turns out to be problematic, rather than the person making it. For all we know, the mangaka is having a good time drawing it and doesn't care about the author's beliefs at all. It probably isn't a bad idea to continue this so long as it remains inoffensive.

At least the LN series itself probably won't continue. I also don't expect there to be an(other) anime after what happened with the cancelled attempt. If you ask me, this whole scandal should be behind us by now.
Novel will continue no doubt. Also this story has no racism in it. The closest you can get to a "racist" concept is the fact he servered in ww2. Him killing soldiers for his country isn't racist too.
Vadara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Well, this was easy to predict: the company just waited a few months to let the whole issue blow over, and then started it right back up again, just like Rurouni Kenshin. I'm sure the light novel will soon follow. Honestly, I didn't even expect the anime to get cancelled. I've got to say, I'm pretty disappointed in the publisher, but I guess money really is more important than any ethical concerns.

I wouldn't be surprised if the anime is still boned, since it might have had some Chinese funding or in-betweens worked on by Korean studios who would probably boycott it regardless. But you only need one Japanese dude to make the manga so they can easily restart that if they wanted to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2