• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Penguin Highway

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
− Penguins are underutilized

I'm sorry but that is an instant F in my books. There was a similar issue in Evangelion, where Pen Pen was not made MC.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
I loved this movie absolutely to death. I felt the penguins were used to exactly the right extent—any more and their charm would have been diluted, and without the gaps between their appearances the audience wouldn't be able to reset its cuteness receptors. Honestly, the sequences in which the penguins followed orders en masse like an adorable army were all the spheniscomorphic payoff I needed.

I also appreciated the relaxed pacing, which allowed nearly every character time to grow into a real person. Hamamoto in particular was absolutely dead on for a 9- or 10-year-old girl: at first she seems entirely competent and self-controlled, but as the film progresses we begin to peek behind the façade to see her petulant frustration when she can't get her way, her terror of being left alone, and the desperation underlying her efforts to distinguish herself. I also could have easily watched an entire movie about Aoyama's hapless best friend Uchida, a timid, bespectacled boy who is equal parts optimism, cowardice, loyalty, and unfulfilled longings, ambitions he's abandoned because he believes he's not really the protagonist of his own life. In fact, he was the only character I wished we'd had more time with.

Finally, I think it's very important to recognize what an important landmark in the anime industry Penguin Highway represents. Studio Colorido is an extremely young studio with a very unique model that aims to streamline anime production in a way that enables animators to produce high-quality works that express their inner artist without literally working themselves to death (you can read a little about it in English here). It is an absolute delight to watch Ishida, Yojiro Arai, Namiko Ishidate (who made the famous McDonald's recruitment ads everyone loves), and the rest of the studio come into their own on this film, which was made, incredibly, on schedule. It's true that you can spot a lot of other studios that helped Colorido out in the credits, but the fact that even the outsourced material was folded so seamlessly into the picture says a ton about the workability of Colorido's model.

So for goodness' sakes, you Americans, and Brits, and Australians, and all you other international folks, see this movie in the theaters! You won't regret it, and you'll be helping to push the anime industry forward.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
- Penguins are underutilized

That could be a deal breaker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
I've always liked penguins. They're some of the most interesting animals to watch at a zoo or on a nature documentary. Flying under the water, the waddle walk, that weird look they give you.
What's not to like?

But seriously, this looks like a charming film at least.
Hopefully, it'll be more than 90 minutes of people drinking and generally acting weird.
I have no use for experimental animation or films that have stories you might as well shoot in live-action...
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
First, Yoru ga Mijikashi, then Penguin Highway, in a row. Morimi's novel adaptions are getting a lot of love from ANN.
I look forward to watching the anime!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1