• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: My Hero Academia Creator Kohei Horikoshi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
This interview was really nice! Horikoshi is such a Marvel/DC fanboy it’s sweet. There was an interview that showed his collection of figurines and the sheer amount of Spider-Man ones were jaw dropping.

It’s interesting to hear more about his creative process...And that there isn’t much to it. I noticed some mangaka work at that “make it up as you go” pace which makes some sense cause you can’t really plan out ever single detail of a long-running series from scratch ^^;;
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It was more of a callback to older Superman – the “ultimate existence”, that's why he has that kind of character design. But the story's still set in Japan – I don't think it would've quite hit the mark if All Might had been from overseas.

I can't help but wonder if All Might is based on Horikoshi's own idea of what he'd want to look like as a superhero himself. Incidentally, until his real name was revealed, I thought All Might was from our side of the sphere.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if he interacted with any of the Marvel & DC creators while he was at SDCC. I know a lot of them are huge fans of MHA.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice interview. I especially liked the side notes from the panel. That was a cool inclusion. Whoever had that idea, good job!
Nakottih

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote

This... made... my DAY !!!

No wonder spoiler[how the last fight scene between Deku / Kota and Muscular is similar to Gohan / Vegeta and Cell or Gohan/ten / Trunks and Broly... oh wait this one doesn't exist anymore...]
sweaf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
Again, it's hard to find someone that's not a fan of Dragon Ball.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:59 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
It was more of a callback to older Superman – the “ultimate existence”, that's why he has that kind of character design. But the story's still set in Japan – I don't think it would've quite hit the mark if All Might had been from overseas.

I can't help but wonder if All Might is based on Horikoshi's own idea of what he'd want to look like as a superhero himself. Incidentally, until his real name was revealed, I thought All Might was from our side of the sphere.

not really. he could have made him half japanese half american and it would still hit the mark somewhat and more or less explains his obsessions with naming his attacks with cities and states from the US!

Quote:
I was surprised at how many people loved Deku's mom.

That was also a surprise to me!

it wasn't for me! i mean after seeing comiket 70 & 85 (when series like queens blade & gundam build fighters had their popularity at their highest peaks) and the uber crave that con had for MILF/son clickbait, i knew that the japanese otaku community would be doing the exact same clickbait when it came for izuku and inko. it was only a matter of time!! (and somewhere in heaven, MILF lover kakoyin is giving his thumbs up in more ways than one) Laughing

but what's really surprising is that within the japanese otaku community, its not being done to bakugo's mom since she is literately screaming "MILF BAIT!"

though its another story in the US! if they were to put a poll for the best MHA moms for the western audience, bakugo's mom would clean house in more ways than one!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
sweaf wrote:
Again, it's hard to find someone that's not a fan of Dragon Ball.

:::Raises hand:::

Interminable power-ups and multi-episode fight scenes killed any interest I may have had in that series.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
not really. he could have made him half japanese half american and it would still hit the mark somewhat and more or less explains his obsessions with naming his attacks with cities and states from the US!

Not really what?
HydroDesolation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
This was a great interview. Definitely made me like My Hero Academia even more. Horikoshi seems like a real likeable Guy! Smile
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad he's not planning on dragging the series out for a long time.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
I feel like All Might isn't all that much like Goku. Goku seems to care about nothing other than getting stronger and is terrible to a lot of the people in his life(maybe I'm wrong, I've only seen a little of the series and don't really like DB), while All Might is more like an altruistic Jesus character and cares extremely deeply for everyone in his life. He's also an excellent paternal figure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1