• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Final Franxxtasy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimvice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
how dare you crap on We're Back! that's a highly underrated movie!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with what Zac said about 2199, at least as someone who hasn't seen Yamato properties before that. I had some reservations because I had an idea of the history of it, but I decided to jump in anyway, and came away surprised at how approachable and good it is. Now, I'm just disappointed that Funimation has caught up to Japan, so we're stuck waiting.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
More people should watch Yamato 2199. It really is one of the few remakes that does everything better, and rarer, nearly everyone agrees on that.
Kikimani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
You're back, hurray!

I'm enjoying Free this season. I'm not a big Free fan. I've only ever seen the first season and I thought the story was shallow. Wasn't it also about some incident with a friend that happened back in their childhood? I just...wasn't invested in the drama at all but thought the animation was beautiful and the fanservice both hilarious and discomforting.

That may be why I get along so well with the new season. I was never into Free for the plot so the host of new characters and new angst with another old friend amusing and eye rolley. I'm even invested in how Ikuya's USA friend will emancipate himself from the co-dependent relationship he's put so much energy into. The character acting and animation remains beautiful--so many nice layouts, lighting, water animation. I don't miss the butt shots. It looks better than most shows I'm watching this season so I'm good with it.

Jacob's right about the show wasting most of its story potential tho. And the high school kids obsessing about what's happening in Tokyo makes no sense.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac is absolutely correct about Space Battleship Yamato 2199. It is a fantastic remake for a modern audience. You don't have to know anything about the old anime to enjoy 2199.

Some quick thoughts:

- I agree that an important convention like Otakon should be 0.5-1 days longer

- Yep, Darling in the Franxx, what a waste of potential and top notch visuals

- It does not bother me that Revue Starlight is labeled an idol show, but so far it has been a pretty good Ikuhara imitation

- I love the original Steins;Gate series, but Zero is painfully dull and redundant

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It is curious to hear that Otakon seemed sparse despite an increase in numbers. DC's convention centre must be suffering from the same distribution problem of last year: a lack of footfall in its extremities in comparison to the uniform hubbub of AX.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I've only made it through the first part of the show, but on the point of anime con attendance, a good thing to check is animecons.com attendance rankings for anime cons over the last few years: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014. It's just as Zac says: AX pulls over 100,000 people, and all of #2-5 are in the low 30,000s. Meaning AX is consistently the size of the next three combined. As for which cons those are… for a while they had consistently been Otakon, Anime North, A-Kon, and ACen, but now Anime Matsuri and Anime Weekend Atlanta are in the top five mix too.

I went to Otakon for the first time this year, which means that over the past three years, I've been to five of the top 10 anime cons (both as an attendee and a panelist at all of them except AX). I did a tweetstorm ranking them based on my own personal preferences, and compiled it into a Twitter moment. FWIW, my ranking is:

1. Anime Central
  2. Anime Weekend Atlanta
  3. Otakon
  4. Youmacon
  5. Anime Expo

2 and 3 are really close (I'm going back to AWA next month, so that should make for a nice direct comparison to Otakon), while the gap down to 4 and 5 is pretty wide. I acknowledge that AX has a bunch of stuff you can't see anywhere else, but I found the experience to be pretty tough going and probably won't be back.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Uhh...the doors opened for Otakon at 8 AM on Friday and the programming started at 9. Like, your panel was at 10:15 AM. The opening ceremony wasn't until 11:30, but there was definitely stuff going on before then.

I'm disappointed but not entirely surprised that Planet With is not doing as well commercially (or in terms of traffic). It is a good show but it seemed to leave a number of people confused, and I didn't quite know what to make of it at the beginning myself. I haven't found it difficult to follow, but perhaps that is because it is meant for people who are already familiar with mecha and don't need certain things explained, as you guys said. Hopefully it will be looked fondly upon by those who watched it at least.

On Revue Starlight and idols, while I cannot speak for those that Jacob has interacted with on Twitter on the matter, I too have bristled at it being labeled an idol show. Dismissive is definitely a part of it, though I understand you guys aren't trying to dismiss it by calling it such. Yes, the genre is popular, at the very least in Japan, but it does not seem to be well respected, at least in the Western fandom. I've seen a number speak of the genre in much the same terms as isekai or light novel adaptations (which are similarly popular), calling it garbage or trash or saying that there are too many of them and they need to get rid of some so good stuff can be made, so I think some may instinctively react to that labeling thinking that one is also saying that. There may also be those who don't like the idol genre or idols in general and find the caliber of the musical performance to be better than that of idols, and thereby find the comparison to idol anime to be almost an insult, though at least with regard to idol anime, I think they underestimate the talent of some of the voice actors and other staff behind the music in idol anime, given a number of the voice actors and staff for Revue Starlight worked on such shows.

Personally, labeling it an idol show seems more reductive than dismissive to me, if not a bit facile. Thematically I think Revue Starlight has much more to do with anime about those in artistic fields than idol anime specifically. Whereas most idol anime is about a group joining together to put on their best performance, Revue Starlight is about competition between the girls, and I think that difference is important to what the show is saying thematically, to say nothing of the Revue scenes. I think it uses the songs and music more like a musical than an idol anime, being part of the dialogue rather than having lyrics that are at best tangentially related to the plot (though the delayed translation of the songs does obscure that), and staging seems much more important than in idol anime, even outside the Revue scenes, though that part may be chalked up to what the director absorbed working under Ikuhara. To me the Revue scenes and the rest of the show seem much more cohesive than saying it is taking idol shows and Ikuhara and putting them together would imply. Maybe in the first episode it wasn't apparent, but there seems to me there is a clear through-line connecting the Revue scenes with the rest of the episode, where the conflict presented in the episode is explored in the Revue scene, giving us a glimpse of the characters' inner world and further developing the characters or giving us a visual demonstration of their position in the story as with Maya. This isn't Uma Musume, where the idol part just seems tacked on (I don't think people watched Uma Musume for the singing and dancing - all two seconds of it - so I'm not surprised that that part didn't do well, though the anime seems to be selling well, from what was published on this site). What components or archetypes it may share with idol anime seems like mere icing on the cake, and calling it an idol show seems like taking your finger across the cake and licking the icing off your finger. Oh and the company behind Revue Starlight is Bushiroad.

Put me down as another person recommending 2199, both in general and as an entry point into the series. At least I didn't feel that I was missing something by only having seen 2199 and what has been streamed of 2202.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
^^What will the enduring legacy of Darling in the Franxx be? At a few months distance, the columnists sum it up as a "waste of time". Where have I heard that before?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
I think 'confused' or 'discombulated' are better summaries.

Where have you heard it before, though? If you could explain what you're thinking rather than obscurely insinuating it, that'd be cool.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I think 'confused' or 'discombulated' are better summaries.

Where have you heard it before, though? If you could explain what you're thinking rather than obscurely insinuating it, that'd be cool.

Hiroki not Takuya had themself deemed it a waste of time in the review thread on a number of occasions, which is likely what they are referring to.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Quote:
What will the enduring legacy of Darling in the Franxx be?

I don't think it will have a legacy of any kind. Sometime, likely in 2019, a disk version will be issued. At that time there may be a review of the entire series and some mild discussion. After that it will seldom be heard of again. Cool

I think Darling in the Franxx is an excellent example of the strengths and weaknesses of the weekly streaming model vs. the binge watch model. Since it was streamed weekly it produced a great deal of discussion, most of which became pointless when later episodes did not support it. I think if it had been licensed by Netflix with most of the community binge watching, it would have had a single review with a few comments and quietly disappeared.

Which outcome would have been preferable is going to depend on individual taste.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
I'd really love to hear an episode devoted to one of Mizukami's manga. Both Biscuit Hammer and Spirit Circle are on Crunchyroll Manga.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
"Franxx" has become the "Heat Guy J" of 2018 for ANNCast in that it's the anime that Zac and Jacob like slamming it.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
"Franxx" has become the "Heat Guy J" of 2018 for ANNCast in that it's the anime that Zac and Jacob like slamming it.

You know...the difference is Heat Guy J wasn't all that bad. In fact, it was pretty good. Just not something that could match the insane expectations and marketing for it. And now it has just become obscure rather than people having strong opinions on the show.

Last edited by jroa on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2