• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Puh-leeze, "American Anime" is a complete oxymoron. Rolling Eyes

The only title I can think of that can be described as that would be The Last Unicorn. The original language was always English...but all the animators were Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Unicorn_(film)#Production

It's an interesting hybrid.

Oh... so if it was animated in Japan but the English version came first, it isn't an anime.

Someone take Space Dandy off the ANN Encycopedia! Chiibi says it's not an anime!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
...........do you want me to hurt you? Cool

Obviously if it WAS animated in Japan, it's an anime!
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I see the word "Edgy" is used a lot in the Anime & Manga community and is view as a bad thing. In my unpopular opinion, I see nothing wrong with being edgy as long it is done right. I do see people say that something is trying too hard to be edgy because there is blood, gore, nudity or sex in it. For something to be trying too hard, it would come in very force or pretentious. Like throwing in blood, gore or dark themes just for the sake of it.

I feel like anime like Akira, Psycho Pass, Devilman, Berserk, Ninja Scroll, Parasyte, etc do a good job on being edgy while stuff like Corpse Party, Akame ga Kill, Future Dairy and Tokyo Ghoul do feel like they be shocking and disturbing without any good context to them in my opinion. Not to mention some anime like Hellsing Ultimate and Jojo should not be view as edgy because I feel like they are way too over the top to be edgy. Those two are not meant to be taken too seriously if you ask me.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Someone take Space Dandy off the ANN Encycopedia! Chiibi says it's not an anime!

Space Dandy is a representative of Japanese animation industry, whereas Avatar, Atlantis or the new Voltron series aren't. I have never read anyone arguing that The Matrix should be regarded as a Hong Kong movie. Godfrey Ho made several movies spoken in English and starring non-Asian actors but I still wouldn't call them Hollywood movies.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Some other unpopular opinions

I consider Crying Freeman to Kazuo Koike's best work next to Lone Wolf & Cub and Ladysnow Blood. Crying Freeman is not very well liked in today's anime world, but I do think it is a very solid anime and manga in my opinion

Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 is the only FMA series that I enjoy. I never got into Brotherhood and the manga. It felt like a typical Shonen manga and anime to me while the 2003 series would do stuff that is more risky and darker with its theme and stories in my opinion.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 is the only FMA series that I enjoy. I never got into Brotherhood and the manga. It felt like a typical Shonen manga and anime to me while the 2003 series would do stuff that is more risky and darker with its theme and stories in my opinion.

The only one out of... two? No offense but that's not really saying much about the franchise as a whole considering that there are only two ways to consume it (unless you count reading the manga as a separate experience than watching Brotherhood, which some might).

As for your opinion.. I don't think anyone would disagree. You only enjoy the 2003 version. Smile Who's gonna argue against that?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed both, so me, i suppose
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Make it two. I also enjoyed both.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Make it two. I also enjoyed both.

Three. xD They're just must-watches....the two series. Though I feel the pot derailed in the last part of 2003's. And I hated that ending.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I like Junji Ito's work, but I don't consider him to be the best horror artist and writer of Anime and Manga to be honest. I personally enjoy Kazuo Umezu,Hideshi Hino and Suehiro Maruo (I didn't put Go Nagai since I feel like he is mostly a multi-genre person than a straight up horror author & artist) over Junji Ito's work because I find their writing and art work to be way more creepy and disturbing.

Shōjo Tsubaki made my skin crawl and I'm someone who has sit through some really hardcore disturbing movies and anime. Also, Panorama of Hell is probably the best one-shot and experimental horror manga that I've ever read in my opinion.
Johnspartan1982

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell 1995 movie is overrated, i mean it's a decent timewaster and it's sequel is a boring dud and i like the series and 2017 much more! i like Akira and Ninja Scroll with Blade Runner, Robocop (1987) etc better than GITS 95
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
Johnspartan1982 wrote:
Ghost in the Shell 1995 movie is overrated, i mean it's a decent timewaster and it's sequel is a boring dud and i like the series and 2017 much more! i like Akira and Ninja Scroll with Blade Runner, Robocop (1987) etc better than GITS 95

Interesting. I have the opposite opinion of the 2nd GITS movie. IMHO it's easily one of the best anime ever made. I loved the first, and the 2nd was even better. I liked SAC a lot, but I did think that it suffered for various reasons too: cheaper TV animation, more restrictions on graphic content because it was a TV broadcast, some of the new characters were very simple and static compared to what I expect from GITS, and the episode quality was hugely variable. Plus, having to start-and-conclude an episode in 25 minutes or so restricts the storytelling more than having longer uninterrupted screen time from a movie. Some eps were amazing, others were....not. IIRC there was one episode which took place entirely in a virtual chat room? Lol.

My unpopular opinions:
I just don't get the appeal of Cowboy Bebop. I'd honestly like someone to explain the appeal to me. I didn't hate it or anything, I just thought it was very meh and I am puzzled as to how it is so popular. Yes, I have seen it all the way through multiple times. (EDIT: Having read Answerman's excellent article on "Will there ever be another Cowboy Bebop", I get it now. It's still not my thing, but I understand why it's so popular now. Thanks Answerman.)

I have a similar opinion about Serial Experiments Lain, though I must admit I haven't tried watching it again recently.

I loved Madoka Magica Rebellion. The ending was not surprising to me, I saw it coming a mile away, and I thought it was thematically very appropriate given the plot events in the TV series and the emphasis on karmic balance and fate.

(Just to be perfectly clear, I don't mean to put down fans of those shows or the shows themselves, I'm just stating my personal opinions on them)

Last edited by AkumaChef on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:37 am Reply with quote
Violet Evergarden is boring. The protagonist is boring. The story is boring. I understand the appeal on an intellectual level, and I get the potential of a character study for a broken character who lost her only purpose in life trying to rehabilitate into society, but... it's so boring.

And stop with the "it's objectively good because the animation/art/music is good." Objectively good is a fallacy that people made up in order to reinforce the general consensus of art. I can sit here and say that I dislike Cowboy Bebop and my opinion would be no more invalid than that of someone who loves Cowboy Bebop.

Sorry for the minor soapboxing in that second paragraph, but some Violet Evergarden fans have been quite... aggressive.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
@louis6578

Since fan is likely a contraction of the word fanatic, calling a fan aggressive is pretty much redundant.

I do disagree with you about Violet Evergarden, though. I found the show fascinating. You are welcome to your opinion however misguided it is. Wink Seriously though, I have never understood why people seem to think that it is a problem when random strangers have a different opinion. There wouldn't be anything to discuss if we all agreed on everything.
Sesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I for one like mindless Isekai series and harems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 84