• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chow Yun-Fat Joins Dragonball Movie as Master Roshi

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barashin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
REALLY!? WOW!! DIDN'T EXPECT THAT!!! The Description on Roshi in this movie didn't say anything bout him being perverted, I just hope they include that part of his personality! besides that though, WOW!
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
Excuse me, let me pick my jaw up off the floor...IS THIS TRUE??? OH MY GOD!!!

I think people in the west don't understand how beloved Dragonball is in Asia. Chow must be a fan.
Sommerstars8o8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
Interesting how they cast him as Master Roshi , am sure they going to stay true to the manga and anime series with Roshi personality , Wow Chow Yun- Fat as Master Roshi ... Shocked
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quote
This movie just keeps getting weirder and weirder!

I love Chow Yun Fat, but uh... isn't he a bit too tall and handsome to be Master Roshi? The guy's at least 6 foot 1 with a wide frame and classically good looking features. It'd be like casting Robert Redford as Master Roshi.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
Well Chow Yun Fat has done some comedic roles before (assuming they don't change Master Roshi's personlity) and he's a pretty versatile actor so he might be able to pull it off.

But I'll admit he's not the first person I would think of to play Master Roshi, partly because of the way he looks in comparison to the anime character. Very Happy
Xeric

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
While it's true that Chow Yun-Fat doesn't exactly look the part normally, it's also true that Hollywood makeup artists can do amazing things. If he's willing to shave his head, all they'd really need is a good fake mustache and beard.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
I cannot believe this. This can't be real. This sounds like a really elaborate joke and it's starting to work. This movie is going to be a disaster. There's NO WAY, I repeat NO WAY that this movie is going to work. There are so many things wrong with the idea of a live action DBZ movie that I honestly don't know where to begin.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
This movie is going to be crazy.There is no way is this Dragonball.Sounds like Chow is building an all-star cast of fools who don't know what they are getting themselves into.Made by people who were never fans, for people who will disregard the series as ****.

Straight to DVD release?Another insult to the series,or
the greatest movie ever made.I can't wait to find out.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote
I dunno why, but I just pictured CYF as Majin Buu. Rolling Eyes
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote
This is looking 10000000000000000x worser than Batman and Robin
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
Funny. I just watched some clips of Batman & Robin '97. I don't think anything can be worser. Also, I don't think 'worser' is actually a word. (And clearly you should have said "over 9000 times worser".)

C'mon, people. Dragon Ball was a cartoony and goofy kids cartoon. A damn good one, an amazing one, but it's simply not as serious as many make it out to be. I've only seen a bunch of DBZ eps and not Dragon Ball, but I really haven't heard anything bad so far. You know, unless you want to dig up the whole race issue and complain that everyone isn't Japanese. I don't think anyone wants that.

I think Chow Yun Fat sounds interesting and rather hilarious. Can't wait to see him in costume. Wonder what his comedic acting is like. Though certainly Steven Chow himself would have been interesting.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I cannot believe this. This can't be real. This sounds like a really elaborate joke and it's starting to work. This movie is going to be a disaster. There's NO WAY, I repeat NO WAY that this movie is going to work. There are so many things wrong with the idea of a live action DBZ movie that I honestly don't know where to begin.

So what? is not meant for you anyway, I am sure a bunch of fast CG fighting and color lights on the screen will please the kids like it did before, this is not a sacred cow anyway, and you haven't seen the movie, what do you expect? is a cartoon show for hyperactive kids, so it should work alright.

If it's bad or not, is not the question, yeah so there are these alien fighters coming out from space and the hero that can train with an old chinese master in funky kung fu that can fly and throw fireballs and make your hair spiky yellow, will face them in a final battle to save the earth....

Pretty hollywood to me, mind you, so stop being a negative nancy and enjoy what's coming, If it's a good movie they might do more of these "japanime thingy" and you will see more live action anime (not if you already wated to see more anyway)

and I totally wanna see chadwin with crazy hair and a better
"non emo attitude" Right now he's watching the whole series over and over to get on character... AND this is DBZ !!!

anyway, don't expect too much or less out of this, if you ask me, the final fight on the matriz revolutions was pretty DBZ to me...

and worked it.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

anyway, don't expect too much or less out of this, if you ask me, the final fight on the matriz revolutions was pretty DBZ to me...
and worked it.

LOL yeah but those were pretty piss poor more due to the fact they were so mediocre. Its like Sci-Fi channel jumped on board as screenplay editor or something. With DB we gotta have full throttle retarded goofiness. Enough of that will hold things together.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Funny. I just watched some clips of Batman & Robin '97. I don't think anything can be worser. Also, I don't think 'worser' is actually a word. (And clearly you should have said "over 9000 times worser".)

I know worser is not a word, but for some reason, it naturally came to me.

Quote:
C'mon, people. Dragon Ball was a cartoony and goofy kids cartoon. A damn good one, an amazing one, but it's simply not as serious as many make it out to be. I've only seen a bunch of DBZ eps and not Dragon Ball, but I really haven't heard anything bad so far. You know, unless you want to dig up the whole race issue and complain that everyone isn't Japanese. I don't think anyone wants that.

The fact that it was an over the top cartoon is why you can't make it live action. The original design, the style of the fights, the way the anime did it it was never meant for live action.

I don't think the race issue is that big of a deal (considering some of those people aren't making a big deal out of it in Speed Racer). Gokuu and Piccolo are not earthlings, don't get why they should be limited to earth's nationalities. It's just they are getting actors from WB shows for teenage girls and yet they are qualified to do high octane action movies for something as reputable as Dragon Ball's.

Quote:
I think Chow Yun Fat sounds interesting and rather hilarious. Can't wait to see him in costume. Wonder what his comedic acting is like. Though certainly Steven Chow himself would have been interesting.

He'll teach Gokuu how to do a lot of gun fights!11
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

I don't know, Hulk was pretty bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3