• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Onimusha: Warlords Gets HD Release on Switch/PS4/Xbox One/PC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I think Capcom is testing the waters to see if there's enough demand for a proper new Onimusha. Anyways, I really hope they remaster the other games too, especially Demon Siege, which is by far my favorite game in the series. Between this, Mega Man 11, DMC5 and RE2 Remake, Capcom is on a roll!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
I think Capcom is testing the waters to see if there's enough demand for a proper new Onimusha. Anyways, I really hope they remaster the other games too, especially Demon Siege, which is by far my favorite game in the series. Between this, Mega Man 11, DMC5 and RE2 Remake, Capcom is on a roll!

This game seems like the odd man out though with the fact that unlike the RE2 remake this is a remaster, though unlike RE2 it doesn't have a boatload of ports.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
People should take note that the widescreen mode is literally just zooming in so that it fills up the entire screen, hence why there's scrolling. Personally, I'll just stuck with the 4:3 option.

However, this doesn't look to be the 100% definitive version, sadly. There's no word of anything being included from the Xbox's Genma Onimusha, which added in some new areas, a new boss, extra outfits &, most importantly, the green energy orb. That was a new "risk vs. reward" mechanic where you'd have to play tug-of-war with enemies over it, and if an enemy got it, it'd power up heavily, but if you kill a green-powered enemy you'd get a ton more orbs in return. At the very least, Capcom should make the green orb an optional play mechanic.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Final but only the first game and not a bundle with at least the second? The series only really came together by part 2. I then at least hope that the content from Genma Onimusha carries over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that the original composer, Mamoru Samuragochi, revealed himself as a fraud a few years back so that's why there's a new soundtrack for this release. it's similar to how Toei and Bamco have been erasing Kenji Yamamoto's music from Kai and video game re-releases (Raging Blast 2, Budokai 3 HD & the Super Butōden digital releases on 3DS & Switch) after he was exposed as a plagiarist.

As for the lack of 2 & 3, it probably has to do with more actor likenesses they have to deal with.

Regardless, I'll be looking forward this...despite it coming out a week before REmake 2. Thankfully it's only $20 which should make buying on day 1 easier.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
if they are rerecording the voices,that means they will replace Guildestern since Tamio Ohki passed away last year...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, with Nioh blowing up and unashamedly Japanese games like Persona and Yakuza being en vogue, it's high time we got an Onimusha revival. Hopefully this means 2 and 3 aren't too far behind.
xzy123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It should be noted that the original composer, Mamoru Samuragochi, revealed himself as a fraud a few years back so that's why there's a new soundtrack for this release. it's similar to how Toei and Bamco have been erasing Kenji Yamamoto's music from Kai and video game re-releases (Raging Blast 2, Budokai 3 HD & the Super Butōden digital releases on 3DS & Switch) after he was exposed as a plagiarist.

As for the lack of 2 & 3, it probably has to do with more actor likenesses they have to deal with.

Regardless, I'll be looking forward this...despite it coming out a week before REmake 2. Thankfully it's only $20 which should make buying on day 1 easier.

Let hope they take all the bug first
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
If all the Onimusha games come to Steam, it's a day one purchase!

Love the series! Very Happy

And we need number 3 for Jean Reno alone!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:25 am Reply with quote
I wonder how the PC version will be... I tried Onimusha 3 on the PC and you can't even rebind the keys so it was completely unplayable.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I wonder how the PC version will be... I tried Onimusha 3 on the PC and you can't even rebind the keys so it was completely unplayable.
Here's the old PC port https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFHtApE0W5U
Dardre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
My concern is that it'll be like Shenmue HD. That is, it will make it clear that while it was a great game for its time, it has not aged well at all. That the various game series that followed took what it did and perfected them, like the way the Yakuza series perfected what Shenmue did, and it now feels dated.
xzy123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
My concern is that it'll be like Shenmue HD. That is, it will make it clear that while it was a great game for its time, it has not aged well at all. That the various game series that followed took what it did and perfected them, like the way the Yakuza series perfected what Shenmue did, and it now feels dated.

And they don't fix any the bug.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
^ Unless the bug (whatever it was) was particularly problematic to the game it's not going to get fixed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1