• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Revue Starlight is a Dazzling Surprise

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to see more people appreciating Revue Starlight, and realizing that this is NOT another dumb and unimaginative idol show but rather a well put together, intriguing anime in the style of the great Kunihiko Ikuhara.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I started watching this weekend, and have enjoyed it so far. It seems like it is in a similar vein as Wixross where there might not have been much of a pre-existing plot to follow, so that left plenty of room to come up with something interesting.
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
And as expected, not a single mention about the extremely poor state of the official subs that this show suffers from...
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
From users on Reddit, I’ve heard the subtitles for this show on Hidive are particularly bad. Can anyone give their opinion on it? What about the dubcast?
Edit: lol didn’t see the guy’s comment above. What about them are so bad? I haven’t tried the show just yet though I intend to.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes! Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight, one of the most enjoyable show for me this season which comes 2nd behind Harukana Receive, which I love the most! At first, it was kinda hard to watch but I realized that you need multiple viewing to get a better scope of things and guess what, the show is still fun even if you watched the whole thing twice or thrice, making such significant progress and influence within my own personal space. Also, gotta give props to all those beautiful relationship displayed between the girls in the show. So yurirific. Will never forget the tragic lesbian, Mahiru-chan. Did I also mentioned that I think Futaba-han voice is really sexy? I really love it everytime she speaks.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
From users on Reddit, I’ve heard the subtitles for this show on Hidive are particularly bad. Can anyone give their opinion on it? What about the dubcast?
Edit: lol didn’t see the guy’s comment above. What about them are so bad? I haven’t tried the show just yet though I intend to.
They can be really bad. Like "the translator is translating a conversation that's literally unrelated to the topic of the dialogue" bad. It's improved somewhat since those atrocious early days, though.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

As someone who doesn't understand a lick of Japanese, I'd say that portions of it feel like they were run through a better-than-average Google Translate. They often feel choppy and too literal, and are sometimes missing context to let you know what the conversation is actually supposed to be about.

Like, in one of the early episodes, all the girls give Banana candy as some sort of bribe (to land a big part in the upcoming Starlight) but also as a good-luck gift. But the scene is translated in such a way that you don't actually understand what the candy means until about two seconds later where someone says the word 'bribery'. I think that's the best example to convey what people mean when they complain about the subs--not beyond comprehension, but just weirdly/poorly translated enough to make you have to work for your understanding.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
See, this anime is never about idols and songs, it is about theater and performers. Although interestingly, the main cast is made up of nine girls like Love Live. Unlike most anime that have or are going to have a mobile game, this one has surprisingly good quality and a deep, intriguing plot. It even is a candidate for AOTS. Love the cute character art and the backgrounds. The battle scenes are some of the best ever for a CGDCT anime. Lots of interesting and dynamic relationships between the girls, complete with a three-way where third wheel did something good. This is so much better than Hanebado because this has complete emphasis on the girls doing their thing and unlike Uma Musume, this is a franchise that does not need to be carried by another. I just hope that since it is from Bushiroad, if it becomes a big hit, Bushiroad will not give it its own boy group like it did with BanG Dream. Anyway, I am loving Revue Starlight so much and it is my favorite along with Harukana Receive. I hope the quality keeps getting better and better.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
For those asking about the subtitles, the songs are not translated/subtitled when new episodes are first uploaded, but they have been later added. The dubbed episodes I have watched have the songs translated/subbed. Other than that, the subs are fine.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am happy to see more people appreciating Revue Starlight, and realizing that this is NOT another dumb and unimaginative idol show but rather a well put together, intriguing anime in the style of the great Kunihiko Ikuhara.

Yeah, it really is. Even before the release, I often heard stupid accusations that it would be an all-female "rip-off Utena" or another waifu \ qeerbaiting idol show, and I'm glad that now all people can appreciate this show and make sure that all the charges turned out to be not true.

I also very much hope that this title will be able to popularize Takarazuka, since many anime fans are still familiar with this theater only thanks to its influence in many shoujo and shoujo ai works.
AyaUcchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:48 am Reply with quote
Finally more people giving this anime the attention it deserve.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

It does open up what kinds of audience this show attracts towards to. I wonder if it attracts the female audiences as well as the male audiences similar to the Love Live series.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It does open up what kinds of audience this show attracts towards to. I wonder if it attracts the female audiences as well as the male audiences similar to the Love Live series.

I am sure it is. Even Strike Witches and Valkyrie Drive has sizable female fanbases. As long as every girl has a lovable personality and the plot is well put together, fanservice or not, the female audience will appreciate it.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Maybe it will surprise you, but in my country this anime has basically a female fanbase because of the fact that this franchise is largely Ikuhara-inspired. So, many girls that loved Utena, just enjoy this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1