• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-Action Pokemon: Detective Pikachu Film's Director Explains Choice of Main Character

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Letterman said that he "fell in love with the story behind" Detective Pikachu, and described it as "something with a lot of heart."

When did production on the movie start? I want to say it began before the game even got localized.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
When did production on the movie start? I want to say it began before the game even got localized.

The movie was definitely announced before English localization happened, though I have no idea when production began proper. I remember being thoroughly confused as to why Hollywood would choose to purchase rights to adapt a game that didn't even have an English release date announced at the time. I honestly thought the news was bogus at the time, but it apparently is a real thing.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:48 am Reply with quote
If the generic, teenage main character isn't enough to sink the movie, I guarantee the "sassy journalist" will
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
If the generic, teenage main character isn't enough to sink the movie, I guarantee the "sassy journalist" will

Well if there is one thing we can agree on , especially letterman, is that we needed a different main character for this one.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

Well if there is one thing we can agree on , especially letterman, is that we needed a different main character for this one.

Why U no put Ash Ketchum in dis?

And this is sarcasm in case anyone jumps in to explain.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He noted that since many of the previous Pokémon works already focused on Ash, he thought it would be a good idea to focus the live-action film on a new character. Letterman added that the film "still follows all the rules, and we get to see a lot of our favorite things."

Our favourite things, you say? If so, there is only one way to interpret the quote: Team Rocket are confirmed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
And by that he means "We didn't want to deal with people complaining that we whitewashed Satoshi, so here, we made up a new all original character... plus he's black! Totes not racists! Honest!"
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
The movie was definitely announced before English localization happened, though I have no idea when production began proper. I remember being thoroughly confused as to why Hollywood would choose to purchase rights to adapt a game that didn't even have an English release date announced at the time. I honestly thought the news was bogus at the time, but it apparently is a real thing.

So obvious PR lie is obvious, gotcha.

ChesterMcCool wrote:
And by that he means "We didn't want to deal with people complaining that we whitewashed Satoshi

I'd say more like Nintendo/Game Freak didn't want them ruining such a popular and iconic character after... certain previous live-action movies of Nintendo properties, but yeah, that to. I eagerly await that controversy.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
Nothing about this movie really bothers me since they did choose to adapt a spin-off game rather than the main entries, so it could be fun. Certainly I'm much more optimistic about this than next year's Sonic movie where Sonic needs help from a random small town of humans against the government (who clearly are in the same power range as Sonic.....) and that's because APPARENTLY Sonic has no friends he can rely on according to what they've said (Sonic has like the largest group of friends of any iconic video game lead outside of maybe Mario, what are you on about? Like god, you would think they would know to at least include Tails and Knuckles, but then I remember Dragonball Evolution didn't feel the need to include Goku's best friend.....).

Because I'm sure every Sonic fan when thinking of a potential film thought, "oh yeah, let's go the live-action Smurfs route. THAT'S what we want!" Confused
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
If "follows all the rules" means it's gonna be a by-the-books children's movie with poop and fart jokes and the main character having a falling out with the kid over a misunderstanding....then........I'm still gonna end up watching it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the anime, I'm glad they didn't include Ash in the film. Doing an original story set in the Pokemon universe makes more sense to me than trying to adapt a 1000+ episode anime series into a two hour live action movie which I think would be harder to pull off especially with special effect for the Pokemon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1