• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 12 Manga Magazines Have Ended In 1st Half of 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Various print versions of manga magazines may be getting cancelled, but the web versions of manga magazines are still around. That's why it helps if a cancelled manga in a print manga mag goes to a web manga mag version.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Various print versions of manga magazines may be getting cancelled, but the web versions of manga magazines are still around. That's why it helps if a cancelled manga in a print manga mag goes to a web manga mag version.

I've always wondered: how are the web manga paying for themselves? Advertising? Paywalls? Merch?
Patches

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

I've always wondered: how are the web manga paying for themselves? Advertising? Paywalls? Merch?

A lot of manga magazines release as ebooks nowadays, which you can buy through Japanese ereader apps and sites. This also allows us overseas to get the magazine on its release date rather than having to wait for imports.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Whaaaaaaaat people aren't buying manga magazines anymore; HOW ELSE DO YOU GET ALL THE CUTE FREE STUFF!? D:

Oh well, I'm sure not all of them will go out...... Confused
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Whaaaaaaaat people aren't buying manga magazines anymore; HOW ELSE DO YOU GET ALL THE CUTE FREE STUFF!? D:

OK, as someone who lives in Japan and loves manga... Let me explain.

Manga magazines are a PAIN to deal with. You have to tie them up and put them out on recycling day to get rid of them. They come with cheap goods, which are sometimes really cool, but after a while there isn't anywhere to keep any of that stuff. Especially since Tokyo has such small living quarters in general. In the countryside on the other hand, paper magazines have to be bought by driving over to the bookstore or convenience store. It's a lot easier just to buy digitally or read online.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
In addition to e-reader, aspiring artists have a lot more accessibility nowadays to get their work out to the masses rather than clamor for physical space in a magazine. Social media, blogs, and manga-oriented communities can easily disseminate work (in the good way) to interested individuals. Digital spaces are also not limited physically, sans I suppose the layout of whatever platform you're using, nor do they had print deadlines.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

OK, as someone who lives in Japan and loves manga... Let me explain.

Manga magazines are a PAIN to deal with. You have to tie them up and put them out on recycling day to get rid of them. They come with cheap goods, which are sometimes really cool, but after a while there isn't anywhere to keep any of that stuff.

Oh I do totally understand; I'm just unable to let go of my own. xD

Sentimental value and all that. *handwaves*

But I definitely won't be buying them in the future anymore either lol I have limited space too.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see if Japan can do something that the majority of US and European magazines have never been able to do make the web site make money.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:17 am Reply with quote
Anyone have a good guide to using Book*Walker Japan? I've used a Japanese iTunes account to buy magazines that Book*Walker put on iBooks (like Dengeki G's Magazine), but the DRM burns me: you can't mix iBooks from different countries' stores on an iPad.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Manga magazines are a PAIN to deal with. You have to tie them up and put them out on recycling day to get rid of them. They come with cheap goods, which are sometimes really cool, but after a while there isn't anywhere to keep any of that stuff. Especially since Tokyo has such small living quarters in general.

That's why I'll never understand why it took Japan so long to embrace digital media. It seems to me like it would be especially appealing when space is super limited. I live in the Midwest USA where space is plentiful, and I still have too much manga, and it's difficult to get rid of. Since I've started buying digital, it's been really hard for me to buy volumes of physical only series, knowing that I'll have to find a place to put all of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sloggett

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
A majority of manga magazines are of low quality. They usually have one or two flagship series that keep it a float, with the rest being poorly drawn series that don't survive long. I still think that Japan has way too many manga magazines in circulation. It's probably a good thing if we see a few of them vanish.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I mean I have a few issues that I kept (last issue of Naruto, Soul Eater, etc), but it came to a point where all those issues from 2012 were filling up my house. And most of the series in them I didn't even read.

And imagine someone who reads Shonen Jump every week. It's just so much easier to either buy physical volumes of the series you like or buy digitally.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I mean I have a few issues that I kept (last issue of Naruto, Soul Eater, etc), but it came to a point where all those issues from 2012 were filling up my house. And most of the series in them I didn't even read.

I've got a bunch of 2003-2004 Ribon magazines....that I refuse to part with but they are all on the top shelf of my closet and I don't use that space for anything else. xD I'm short so it'd be a pain to keep shoes up there or something.

Quote:
And imagine someone who reads Shonen Jump every week..

I can't.
Shocked
Keeping up with those and KEEPING them seems impossible....unless you got rid of them as soon as you read the issue. I can't fathom it. That's gotta be insane.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
One thing I would welcome digital only or digital/physical are manga magazines, in a manga market with magazines being available digitally I can buy around 8-10 a month as the shipping costs are non-existent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1