• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scrapped Princess delayed indefinitely?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shigi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Apterous, that's not what I meant. I understand their reasoning behind the cover changes. What I meant was that they were soliciting volumes 4-6 in online stores like Amazon and Rightstuf and had even gone so far as to have the listings up with new coverart, something that seems rather questionable if they never licensed the volumes to begin with.

I mean, I can't see the original copyright owners of ANYTHING being very happy with some foreign company saying that they have volumes of some series for sale when they don't. It's like if some company in Pakistan said they had Urdu editions of Harry Potter for sale that you could pre-order when they didn't even have a license for them.

I'm just saying that it seems very strange that TokyoPop would do that.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think the "we never licensed it" line is a load of crap.
Apterous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Either way, I agree that it would have been polite to at the very least publicly announce (or just put a note on their website) that they were discontinuing the series instead of letting the release dates come and go with no news. I mean, they list all 13 volumes on their website, so just sitting at 3 is kind of a slap to their fanbase.

Then again, if their tactic was was to not tell anyone, the guy didn't need to respond to my e-mail at all. Its not that TokyoPop is or isn't being nice, they just don't have their story straight. I wonder what kind of answers I'd get from e-mailing different contacts...?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
Either way, I agree that it would have been polite to at the very least publicly announce (or just put a note on their website) that they were discontinuing the series instead of letting the release dates come and go with no news. I mean, they list all 13 volumes on their website, so just sitting at 3 is kind of a slap to their fanbase.

It's not like anyone would be able to find it on their website anyway. The last time I checked it, the forgot they were a company with products to sell and thought they were some sort of manga/anime oriented MySpace. Trying to find info on any of their products at all was a pain in the ass. Their website is nearly useless.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Aside from soliciting volumes that they apparently never planned to release, it was also uncool to print "Second volume in a 13-volume series" if they weren't going to release all 13 volumes. Note to self: Do not buy any more TokyoPop novels unless the series has been completely released. I know that kind of attitude (if a lot of people adopt it) will reduce sales and impede the success of the medium, but I've got to cover my ass against any more incomplete, impossible-to-finish novel series.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
It sort of reminds me of Funimation's "What? We never said we had all of Kodocha" bit when people got up in arms about about volume 13 being called That's a Wrap. I know on AoD and other news sites, their initial acquisition of the series included the detail of 4 boxes to encompass the entire series, but as soon as it didn't sell to their standards, they never had it. Whether or not they were lying initially or lying later, it reminds me of this issue, and I'll admit, I'm pretty annoyed. Don't solicit stuff you aren't going to sell, don't start a series you can't finish. Then again, volume 2 was so rife with typographical errors it was clear they weren't putting much effort into the editing of the novels. I was holding off on reading volume 3 until volume 4 got a true date, but I guess I might as well read it and be satisfied with just finishing the first "story arc."
jayntampa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
TokyoPop never annnounces when they cancel something, they just let it fade away. The announced the follow-up novels to Kino no Tabi, too -- and those were cancelled.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
jayntampa wrote:
TokyoPop never annnounces when they cancel something, they just let it fade away. The announced the follow-up novels to Kino no Tabi, too -- and those were cancelled.

Those were canceled too? I'm going to cry (ok not really but it's upsetting). I've been dying to read some more Kino.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Kino seems to be suffering the fate, but it doesn't seem like anyone has e-mailed them about it to get it confirmed yet. The last I checked, RightStuf had a January date for volume 2, but I don't think Tokyopop has actually set a date for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3