• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dororo TV Anime's 1st Promo Video, Cast, Staff, Visual Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:05 am Reply with quote
I've limited myself to cautious optimism for this title since I was afraid it wouldn't be given much of a budget, like so many recent revivals of older series. This promo video now has me legitimately excited. *crosses fingers* Pleeeeaaaase be good.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote
I'm interested Surprised
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
Fantastic staff and PV, can't wait!
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
This looks amazing!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
Woah. This looks awesome!

Great staff and I love those animation studios. And Yoshihiro Ike doing the music? Hell yes.

Not to compare since that would be unfair, and this has monsters and stuff, but something about the colors and smooth action totally gave me the kind of smile I get whenever I throw on Sword of the Stranger, which I love. Smile
loveliver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
Hint. Hint. Discotek only released the original series on DVD.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
MAPPA? Again? Maybe they should just make epic adaptations of old school manga titles their bread and butter? I'd be cool with that, seeing how Banana Fish is turning out so epically!

Yeah, I've seen a good bit of the older series. The drama eps, while they move slow as molasses (I actually sped the video player up and it felt like it was moving at a "normal" pace, it's that slow initially), they're pretty good overall. I think the B&W actually helps the atmosphere. The more light hearted ones though? Man are they boring to sit through.

I've also played the video game, Blood Will Tell. While you can tell it's low budget, and the jumping mechanic is god-awful (and curse them for putting a few sections that required decent platforming to complete, at least there wasn't a lives system in place), the bosses are the main focus and they're quite fun! Sure, due to the budget, recolored bosses were used, but they still put them in different arenas and gave them different attacks, a fine way to get around a low budget, imo. You only needed to do all 48 bosses for the true ending and true final boss though. The English dub though? Wow is that bad! No one could pronounce the Japanese names at all and the pronunciation was all over the place! Especially on Hyakkimaru! Those poor people had zero clue how to pronounce such a name!
Glad I got the game when I did, the price for it now is sky high!
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
I’m hoping Furuhashi is able properly schedule some talented freelance animators. Altair and Getbackers were not particularly strong adaptations but Rurouni Kenshin and Gundam Unicorn were both rad.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
From a production point of view, it looks like a high quality 00s show, along the lines of BONES. Being by MAPPA and the director of Altair and Kenshin, I expect that it will turn out great
classicalzawa wrote:
MAPPA? Again? Maybe they should just make epic adaptations of old school manga titles their bread and butter? I'd be cool with that, seeing how Banana Fish is turning out so epically!
Would Dororo not be to old to be old school?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you trying to say that Dororo's manga isn't old enough to be old school? Considering that Tezuka made it in the late 60s, it's definitely an old manga. In fact, given that Tezuka dies in 89, I think anything he made qualifies as "old school" these days. I If 50 years isn't "old school manga", then I'm not sure anything is....
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you trying to say that Dororo's manga isn't old enough to be old school?
The exact opposite. When people talk about old school in Anime, it always refers to something form the 80s or 90s.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The exact opposite. When people talk about old school in Anime, it always refers to something form the 80s or 90s.

Er, no. Maybe brush up on your definition 2 and talk to people who watch stuff from earlier time periods. Any standard older than modern can be called old school, whether talking about animation from Showa era Japan, cooking practices in Spanish colonial times, or Iron Age smelting.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
That staff and PV looks very interesting. I will definitely be watching this in January. I wonder if it will be 2-cour like the last adaptation was.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Er, no. Maybe brush up on your definition 2 and talk to people who watch stuff from earlier time periods. Any standard older than modern can be called old school, whether talking about animation from Showa era Japan, cooking practices in Spanish colonial times, or Iron Age smelting.
Are you implying that I've never watched anything from an earlier time period or that I've never spoken to anyone older than me about them, both are incorrect.

All I'm saying is that it is a odd to umbrella everything pre[insert date here] together. To take films as an example, both Casablanca and Star Wars are old, but only the former is a Classic Holywood film.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh I certainly think there's different eras of "old-school anime", but I also think all the eras would still be defined as "old-school". I do agree "80's-90s old-school" is usually the most commonly referred to sub category, but "60s-70s old-school" is also definitely a thing.

What's weird to me is that something like Princess Tutu or Haruhi Suzumiya are now well over 10 years old, which I guess puts it in an "00s old-school" category, which just feels so weird to me now! And to think that in another decade or so, Yuri on Ice will be under some subset of old-school as well!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2