• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Goblin Slayer Anime This Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Goblin Slayer is one of my most anticipated anime of the Fall season, I'm happy that Crunchyroll picked it up.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Hope Funi can simuldub it. I really enjoyed the first light novel.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Great news, I was hoping CR to get it. And they'll also stream JoJo and Radiant.
I'd like them to also stream Hinomaru Zumou and Fairy Tail 2018.
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they don't dumb it down and keep to the story
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully CR won't censor the hell out of it.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Hopefully CR won't censor the hell out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, CR does not censor anime they acquire, the original Japanese licensors do. But given the nature of this particular series, it most likely will be censored.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, CR does not censor anime they acquire, the original Japanese licensors do. But given the nature of this particular series, it most likely will be censored.

Unfortunately, some people believe because they can (usually) watch a pirated fansub that is uncensored (due to using a rip from AT-X), that it must be that CR is censoring it.

If they would put even a bit of thought into it, they would see this doesn't pass the "smell test". Is CR really going to go to the trouble of going through a simulcast video and censoring it (which would require permission from the publisher, since it would be altering the video), but leave many library titles uncensored?
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
I see Yuichiro Umehara, and as the main character, so I'm onboard.

I guess I'll try and check out the manga first to prep myself though. . .
How close to the LN is the manga, if anyone knows?
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:50 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for this to premiere one of my all time favorites in a long time even though it's a more recent franchise.

As for how close the LN is to the Manga. In the Manga the rape scenes are more graphic and show much more detail while the LN is more implied without graphic details so more toned down in that regard. Luckily as the LN goes on other than the first volume or so their isn't really and more rape scenes thank god but not for a lack of Goblins trying it's just they are killed before they can commit it.

Also the LN has some more dialouge not much and sometimes goes into more detail other than that the Manga is pretty dead on with the LN. If you read the side story Manga which covers parts of the LN that were left out of the main Manga adaption then you get everything that was writing in the LN.

The Manga as of the current chapter 27 release covers all most to the end of LN 2 so that will give you a idea of how far ahead you can read.

My guess the Anime will cover up to LN volume 3 minimum and at most volume 4.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
heartlessangel65 wrote:

They got a supernatural creature-theme going with such licenses.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
paulchaested wrote:

Unfortunately, some people believe because they can (usually) watch a pirated fansub that is uncensored (due to using a rip from AT-X), that it must be that CR is censoring it.

If they would put even a bit of thought into it, they would see this doesn't pass the "smell test". Is CR really going to go to the trouble of going through a simulcast video and censoring it (which would require permission from the publisher, since it would be altering the video), but leave many library titles uncensored?

the biggest problem is that CR almost never replaces them with uncensored versions.Sure,for regions like North America,that's not an issue,since uncensored BDs are almost guaranteed,but about the countries where anime on Blu-Ray are basically non-existent?They simply get stuck with the censored versions on CR?I live in one of those regions,by the way...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

the biggest problem is that CR almost never replaces them with uncensored versions.

I can't think of a single case where they've replaced the original simulcast version with an uncensored version. I can think of a couple of titles where an uncensored version was also made available. (One simultaneously, one later).

Even when a title is brought over from Funimation that CR already had in some territories (outside the US), everyone gets stuck with CR's simulcast version, rather than CR making the home video version available separately to the territories Funimation holds a license to.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Goblin Slayer manga's nudity is not conducive to "steam" or "lens flares" cover ups. Not sure how they are going to handle censoring it, if they go the censor route. As Goblin Slayer is not a comedy, they are not going to be able to use those silly censor circles either. Maybe they will go with darkness or shadows, though for some outdoor battles that might not work either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1