• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Non Non Biyori Vacation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
sounds to be about what I expected. Definitely not something I felt should've been in theaters
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
By all accounts, it sounds like an additional cour, or failing that a shorter OVA, would have been a better outlet to continue the series. Its resilient charm lies in its uneventfulness; something agreeable only in short doses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll get a continuation of S1, with the group having to deal with Komari's impending graduation etc. Everything since has felt like the shows producers (& paying audience) balked at the realisation that the series wasn't all sunshine & happiness under the surface.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Lol what? Non Non Biyori does have conflict, but not a huge stay through 12 episodes one.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll get a continuation of S1, with the group having to deal with Komari's impending graduation etc. Everything since has felt like the shows producers (& paying audience) balked at the realisation that the series wasn't all sunshine & happiness under the surface.

Renge learning about death happened in the second season. Yeah, I'd be down for some bittersweet partings and such.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
My worst fears were confirmed when read this review, which completely misrepresents and misses the point about Non Non Biyori Vacation, which isn't a "watered-down" experience as the reviewer puts it. Instead, the movie is about the vacation experience, which is about how different places are simultaneously similar to and different than home. The movie uses its length to really flesh this point out, and this is especially apparent with Natsumi. In the manga, the vacation was simply the setting for the usual comedy, but the anime movie actually adds emotional depth by introducing Aoi.

This anime film deserves an A- in all of its categories. The movie looks amazing, the animation is actually better than what we'd seen previously, and the use of Okinawan instruments in conjunction with familiar motifs further strengthens my argument that the movie is about the contrast between home and other locations. There are other, better-written reviews that support this: I suggest taking a look at them.
spegasaur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
I think the first question to ask yourself before watching this film, is: "Does the idea of a 70 minute episode of Non Non Biyori sound like a good time?"

If the answer is "yes", then this will be a joy to watch: animation a noticeable step up from the TV series - a small step, true, but the background scenery of Non Non Biyori has always been fairly special, regardless. Here it's better. The film itself doesn't really capture much of Okinawa (beyond "tropical paradise", anyway), but instead focuses on the idea of a short holiday: the trials of getting there, the joys of discovering new things (and people), even the annoyance of not seeing something you'd anticipated. And of course the bittersweet farewell to the holiday and return home.

If, however, your reaction to the prospect of a Non Non Biyori film is "well, that sounds tedious", then it's probably better not to watch.

So: for me, a solid B, maybe B+. If you enjoyed the tv series, chances are you'll enjoy this, but it isn't going to convince anyone else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1