• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Anime for Digital Purchase

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Is this indicative of anything? I’d really like to own a set.
Navigatoria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Same! I was really excited for a moment until I saw “digital.” Sad
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd guess it means either they don't have the physical media license, or they don't think it's worth producing a physical version. Anime ltd cancelled their release plans in the uk last year.
MidnightJinx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Anime ltd cancelled their release plans in the uk last year.

The reason they had to cancel it was because of the FuniCrunchy partnership, not because they didn't think it would sell. Crunchyroll assumingly has the streaming & home video license for this series, so hopefully this is an indication that it might get a disc release down the line
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Never_Know_Best wrote:
Is this indicative of anything? I’d really like to own a set.

Same. I don't even care if its dubbed (which imo the show wouldn't work dubbed) I just wanna own it.
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Buying this because if I've learned nothing else, if you show companies you will buy, then they've got better incentive to release. So here's my investment in hopes that it maybe shows them a physical edition will make me come back.

Also loving, that we're getting the full 48 minute 1st episode as well. I guess these are equivalent to the bluray release?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
atunderdogk wrote:
Also loving, that we're getting the full 48 minute 1st episode as well. I guess these are equivalent to the bluray release?

I'm pretty sure the full version of the first episode is like 82 minutes long with a bunch of bonus scenes. The 48 minute version is the TV edit.
Elves

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I really don't want to say "if" there's a ever a physical release because I want there to be one...I will definitely buy Rakugo on blu-ray. I love this show! (I totally understand that buying the digital copy shows there's enough interest for a physical release, but I can't afford to do both. Sad )
Spider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to chime in with a big +1 as I appreciate that Funimation is making efforts to distribute the show. (though this is one that I too would like a physical release of)

I really loved Showa Genroku Rakugo and any time I consider buying anything new I re-check to see if a physical release has materialized. I in no way want to suggest raising imagin-
possible prices for anyone, but I enjoyed it enough to pay close to Aniplex series prices... Where I can't even justify that (on principal) for most of the good titles 'Aniplex of America' has released, which i do still feel they have the right/reason to price as they've seen fit. That's to express how much I'll enjoy a physical release of this (preferably with an option of in a nice box with basic or no extras, if a higher price point per unit is needed). Unfortunately if the pool of buyers were smaller in this case then I could see a need to price high. Sad. I'd like to believe with some evidence that there are enough existing passionate fans for that to at least work or not be needed, right? Very Happy

I agree that a dub may be a bit difficult to pull together with Rakugo, though. I'm a mostly original-language fan, but I'd have no issue paying more for or waiting on any included dub that came along. (A dub would certainly make it more accessible for others too. Smile) I'm not sure if most existing fans would feel the same / desire a dub, though.

I'll continue to wait eagerly. I've not read the manga, but was curious about it as it stares back at me every time I search the online stores for a Blu-ray release... (though the direction and production of the anime really do it a lot of justice, i imagine)
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
atunderdogk wrote:

I'm pretty sure the full version of the first episode is like 82 minutes long with a bunch of bonus scenes. The 48 minute version is the TV edit.

I wonder if one thing delaying a phyiscal release is the PC not having handed over the master for the full version of the episode.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
If the reason for a physical release, even a sub only one, is a lack of fan interest, I'm not sure why Funimation couldn't do a Kickstarter to support the release. Funimation had no issues doing that with Escaflowne, which is a much more mainstream anime than Rakugo, so I'm not sure why they couldn't do r for this show as well.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Fu****s! I don't want a digital release, I want to own a physical copy of this!! If I wanted to watch it digitally I would just watch it on Crunchyroll. Ugh, the dumb thing is that this is probably their way of "testing the waters" for a physical release a.k.a. we're going to have to throw our money at the digital release if we want even a chance in hell at getting this on DVD/Blu-ray. This same thing happened with Disney and Gravity Falls, which only JUST got a physical release this summer after years of fans complaining.

I agree with Cardcaptor Takato: if they aren't willing to take a chance, they should kickstart it, because the fandom is larger than they think, and we're all passionate and willing to spend a little extra to get this thing made.

I also think a dub of this would be pointless, and a waste of good money (especially if they are worried about making money off this). Some of the rakugo stories rely heavily on verbal sounds, and the way Japanese sounds (like "Jugemu"), and wouldn't flow as well in English. Also, I can't imagine listening to anyone but Akira Ishida perform "Shinigami".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1